To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Change from Apple subscription to 1Password direct.

jmwardrop
jmwardrop
Community Member

I am currently on a 1 month trial of 1Password through the Apple App. In hindsight I should have set up through 1Password.com direct as this is financially the cheaper option. Not a huge amount I grant you but why pay more than you have to?

That said, I would now like to go permanent with 1Password.com

(1) What do I need to do to make the swop across from Apple to 1Password.com for my billing?
(2) Will I still be able to retain the Passwords exactly as I have them set up now i.e. will I be able to carry everything across from the Apple Trial App?
(3) is there any disadvantage of which you are aware of running 1Password direct rather than through Apple.

Your advice would be appreciated

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmwardrop - to be clear, if you download 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you can subscribe via Apple, in-app...but you're not required to do it that way. You can also choose to do a no-strings 30-day trial and even sign up directly via us. You don't have to have the version of 1Password 7 for Mac downloaded from us to use our payment method.

If you're certain you began an Apple Subscription, then use these instructions to cancel it. Once you've done that, let me know here and I'll mark it as cancelled at Apple in our database, then you can sign up using our own payment method (Stripe), which is indeed (as you pointed out) less expensive. No need to do messy exports or transfer things around to different versions of the app. :)

Oh, and no - there's no real DISadvantage to running our version, per se, assuming you trust us not to send you broken/malware laden updates that Apple would prevent. :) Seriously, some people consider it an advantage to get all of their updates automatically through the Mac App Store, but if that's not a big deal for you, then no. Let us know if you have any questions, and let us know when you've canceled your subscription.

• jmwardrop
    jmwardrop
    Community Member

One outstanding query? I have entered into a 12 month subscription with 1Password direct which is working perfectly across my three devices.
    The version of 1Password which I am using is the one that I originally downloaded from Apple.
    All of this is in line with your advice.
    My query relates to how to receive automatic updates.
    When I go into preferences presumably because I have the Apple version of 1Password I do not have the option to check updates or set up automatic updates.
    Are you able to advise me on how to set up automatic updates or even manual updates?
    Thinking about what might be the solution to the problem, am I able to install a clean version of the software from 1Password direct to replace the Apple version so that the subscription I have taken out with 1Password direct and the 1Password software are all fully aligned and if so how? My biggest concern is not to lose everything I have set up at the moment which is working perfectly across my devices with the sole exception of how to perform software updates!
    As mentioned previously I am not a techie so apologies in advance if I am missing the blindingly obvious!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmwardrop - one of the good things about 1Password 7 for Mac (in contrast to earlier versions) is that we now no longer have our data in two different places, depending on whether you installed 1Password from us or from the Mac App Store. In the past, these were in two separate locations in your user Library folder, but in 1Password 7 for Mac, it's in a central location. That means, you can quit 1Password, delete the app, install our own version, and pick up right where you left off. To do that:

1. Quit Safari, if it is running
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and grab the latest version of our installer, and run it on your Mac.

Once you've done that, you should be able to check Preferences > Updates and set your update preferences. Hope that helps! :)

• jmwardrop
    jmwardrop
    Community Member

Thank you so much. Everything totally sorted! I am very pleased with the software and with the support I have received from both you and other members of the 1Password team. I hope not to trouble you again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmwardrop - Thanks for the update -- and the kind words. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great rest of your week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.