[Feature Request] - Password Generator additional option to avoid certain characters

bradpinkston
bradpinkston
Community Member

I've seen that many websites limit certain special characters. Something such as a regex to allow or disallow certain characters from being used would be valuable.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• Hi @bradpinkston

As NIST has changed their recommendations around this and now suggest not imposing such limitations I think we'll (slowly) start to see this change. I also think that having regex in the UI is going to greatly limit our audience. Consider that I want my mother, who can barely figure out how to operate her email, to be able to use 1Password. What is she going to do when we start popping up regex in her face? That said, it would be great to be able to better handle these types of situations. The difficulty of course is that there is no standard way that websites use to express what their password restrictions are (so it would be difficult / impossible for us to determine those automatically), and maintaining a database of sites and their password restrictions would be a nightmare.

It is something we've done some brainstorming on but we haven't (yet) come up with a great solution. The ideal situation from our perspective would be for more companies to more quickly adopt the updated NIST recommendations, though of course that is a factor outside our control. We'll continue to think on this and see what, if anything, we can come up with.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.