1Password saying "Your master password is required to reauthorize Touch ID" too often

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

And I also add something else: when the issue was open, 1Password 6 was still the latest version. So it's even less acceptable as a behaviour towards your customers not to handle this issue in the backlog.

@Yoms: As I mentioned earlier,

We made the changes we could to help people with issues like this last year

We cannot, however, work around all edge cases, and some required using a completely different implementation, which meant rebuilding the app with a unified (i.e. not separate components for mini/main app), which is what 1Password 7 is, and we're using Apple's Secure Enclave there (which also has its own set of issues).

Essentially, your "fix 1Password 6" demand requires us to rewrite 1Password in such a way that is a better fit with a technology (Touch ID) which did not exist when 1Password 6 was created originally. We didn't have to update 1Password 6 to add Touch ID support at all in the first place, and, as thanks, you're saying we should do more work for you for free, when the problem you're having is that sometimes you need to enter your Master Password more often than you'd like. That's pretty much the definition of unreasonable. :(

Trying to make me believe this is actually trying to take me as a fool. Is that appropriate? Is that OK with your forum guidelines?

I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. Take care.

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member

@brenty

Essentially, your "fix 1Password 6" demand requires us to rewrite 1Password in such a way that is a better fit with a technology (Touch ID) which did not exist when 1Password 6 was created originally.

At that same time the issue appeared, it worked on Mini. So, no rewrite, but using the Mini implementation. And since when Mini is unlocked it unlocks 1Password, there was something there to exploit.

and, as thanks, you're saying we should do more work for you for free

That's nonsense too. If you add functionalities, whether free or paid, you take responsibilities for them. You cannot just say afterwards "oh but we tried to make it work". Or you just call them beta and add them into a separate advanced tab in settings.

is that sometimes you need to enter your Master Password more often than you'd like.

1st - hope you make "you'd like" plural. 2nd - it happened 5 times yesterday. Sorry, not unreasonable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

At that same time the issue appeared, it worked on Mini. So, no rewrite, but using the Mini implementation. And since when Mini is unlocked it unlocks 1Password, there was something there to exploit.

There's nothing there to "exploit", unless you consider someone having your finger an "exploit". 1Password was two apps in version 6. And mini is what handles locking. The other "app" is just a viewer for mini.

That's nonsense too. If you add functionalities, whether free or paid, you take responsibilities for them. You cannot just say afterwards "oh but we tried to make it work". Or you just call them beta and add them into a separate advanced tab in settings. 1st - hope you make "you'd like" plural. 2nd - it happened 5 times yesterday. Sorry, not unreasonable.

You're right. We shouldn't have added Touch ID support to 1Password 6. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that decision has caused you, but it isn't something we can retroactively change.

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

No you didn't get that one either. If Mini is what handles locking and since Mini does it without issue, then make somehow 1Password call/connect/name it Mini instead of "wrongly" asking for the Master Password.

You're right. We shouldn't have added Touch ID support to 1Password 6. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that decision has caused you, but it isn't something we can retroactively change.

Yeah yeah yeah, irony is what left when arguments are depleted...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's your opinion. Thanks for sharing it. :)

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty
    So let's wrap up the facts:

1° You have an issue that was opened when 1Password 6 was the current release,
    2° You don't have the issue with 1Password 6 Mini at the same time,
    3° Somehow, you don't/cannot/[insert modal] apply/transfer/[insert verb] the working behaviour from 1Password 6 Mini to 1Password 6
    4° You release 1Password 7 that, according to feedbacks so far, doesn't have that issue neither
    5° You left customers as is and...
    6° ... kindly ask them to upgrade to 1Password 7 if they want the issue solved

Conclusion (that's the facts): I have to pay for the correction of an issue that was already present in the version I already paid for.
    Bonus: And you don't even propose a discount for upgraders.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Yoms - I believe brenty is away for the day, so let me try to wrap this up even more simply: software advances, over time. Things change in the OS it runs on, in related technologies (browsers, etc) and even in hardware, sometimes. Developers keep pace with it. The way they do so is by releasing updates at the same time as they're working on new versions of their software. At some point, the new version is released, and once that happens, older versions typically will not be receiving further development attention. This isn't new, it isn't unprecedented or even unusual. I'm pretty sure you still aren't entirely clear on the difference in separation of processes between version 6 and version 7 that brenty was referring to, but it's a moot point: 1Password 7 for Mac was released in May of last year and has been the current version for more than six months, and does not exhibit the problem you describe - for anyone. You're welcome to continue using 1Password 6 for Mac for as long as you have versions of macOS and hardware on which it will run, but we're just not going to be exhuming the code of 1Password 6 for Mac at this point to try to solve something that we could never get to occur reliably and was reported only by a tiny handful of users, out of millions.

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@Lars

You're actually pretty wrong. It's just that I don't care how you handled things in 1Password 7. I'm on 1Password 6. I don't care about 7. I just see that it just works all fine on 1Password 6 Mini, so that means you're able in a way or another to make it work on 1Password 6 main too. Period.

At some point, the new version is released, and once that happens, older versions typically will not be receiving further development attention. This isn't new, it isn't unprecedented or even unusual.

I'm 43, have been working in dev for 18 years now. Started in aeronautics (backend dev). And for quite some times now, in web/mobile app as an FS dev. Not bragging, just situating things.

Your working environment seems sooo dev friendly (and not so customer friendly). This is really unusual to me. So, I have one question: can you hire me? Because I'd love to say more often to previous customers: "yeah sorry for the inconvenience, I know you raised the issue on the current release, but time changes, it's no longer the latest release bla-bla-bla, so we're not going to do anything for you... But hey you can still buy the new version! Discount for upgraders? What?! This is new, it is unprecedented and even unusual. Full price man! Shut up and give us your money!"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Yoms

Full price man! Shut up and give us your money!

There is a discount on licenses of 1Password 7 for Mac (and 1Password 7 for Windows, for what it's worth) - they're currently $49.99, which is more than 23% off the regular price of $64.99. Hope that helps. :)

...can you hire me?

I'd have to check what if anything specific we're looking for, but feel free to send in your résumé. I'll make sure it gets to exactly the right place. :)

• Jobs & careers | 1Password

:)

Beyond that, I think we've said all we have to say on this subject.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.