Shortcut was set to CTRL + [ALT +] #?

Options

This is more of a curiosity than a question, since I figured out the issue myself but...

I installed 1Password at work for the first time this morning and couldn't get the CTRL + \ and CTRL + ALT + \ shortcuts to work and was going to ask about that.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps before posting, last step I wanted to change the shortcuts to something else, when lo and behold I saw it wasn't set to \ at all, it's set to #. Shame on me for not checking earlier, but it's set to this even after a re-install of 1Password.

Is this a new default? If not, how would 1Password decide to use # instead of \? I've never seen anything in Windows use the \ key as part of a shortcut, but I suppose it's not impossible. Would 1Password default to a different key if it determined another was in use? I assume 1Password leaves some settings behind, so the previously set key would have remained after a new install?

Even more befuddling, how would you even use that combination? CTRL + SHIFT + [ALT +] 3? (it doesn't work, I tried :unamused:)

Color me confused!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• That's strange, indeed. There is a different default for folks with different keyboard layouts. On your standard U.S. keyboard, that shortcut would be quite silly, but on a German keyboard, for example, it's the most common choice. On that keyboard, you need a key the two of us probably don't have (AltGr) to access \ just like you need shift to access #. It sounds like 1Password is thinking you have a different keyboard layout than you do, perhaps.

Could you let me know what version of 1Password 7 you're using and, also, check in Windows settings to see if maybe there's an alternate keyboard layout set. Open Start, click the cog, and search for "language" in settings. An option should pop up referencing keyboard layouts. Click that and you'll see a list of those set. Thanks! :chuffed:

• FrancisV
    FrancisV
    Community Member
    Options

1Pass version is 7.2.617, and Win 10 is version 1803 build 17134.472

Also that's very entertaining, I'm German, but most definitely don't actively use a German keyboard/layout. The German region/language pack is installed, at some point I must have decided that might be useful, who knows. Also oddly enough my "Country" is set to United Kingdom.

I'm sure one/both of the above were the culprit, something must have picked up on that during install. English is set as the primary pack, maybe you guys can check if English is set as primary with a German pack set as secondary if the installer picks up the German/secondary and gives it preference for some reason?

Either way, no big deal, just fixing the key combo in 1Password's settings fixed my issue, and I think you sorted out my curiosity on top of that.

Thank you for your excellent detective skills. :)

• No trouble at all, @FrancisV! Windows is a bit weird with languages. A teammate of mine just informed me it installs the Canadian English pack even if you don't tell it to and, sure enough, I've got it installed despite the fact that I feel no need to put extra U's in things. :wink: I guess Windows is just looking out for us in case we happen to decide we want related languages or those used in our region, but there's still something to be said for a degree of simplicity. Regardless, I'm glad just swapping it in settings solved things for you and am happy to have done what I could on the curiosity front. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.