To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Old standalone license issue

Options
statto1927
statto1927
Community Member

Hi, not quite sure what's going on here or how to articulate this.
I've been a long term user of 1P and moved to a personal account membership last year. All went well, and everything's been fine. My daughter has a license for her MacBook Air, but this is in my name - I can't for the life of me remember how/when this was originally set up. To be honest she doesn't use 1P that much despite my protestations that she should.
Today she needed to add a new login password but when she tried to login, her master password is not being recognised. Her password hint says "ask Dad" so I check her master password which I have stored in a secure note. She swears blind she hasn't changed her master password, but it's not being accepted.
Has my move to a personal account, somehow impacted the licence she's using?
Thanks
Simon

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @statto1927,

The license and your membership are separate. Changes to you membership will not effect the stand alone license. Your daughter should still be able to use that license.

Has she been able to retrieve passwords from 1Password recently? Do you still have the license file? How is the account data set to sync? (Dropbox, iCloud)

Make sure she isn't copy/pasting the provided master password. There could be some formatting issues when pasting. Have her type it in manually.

Please let us know and we'll go from there.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

Screenshot of licence attached
    She hasn't used it for months (hence why it may be easier just to reset everything). Password (as we thought) being typed correctly.
    It's set to sync to Dropbox, but says 26 weeks since last sync?

Easier to just delete and start again?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@statto1927

Easier to just delete and start again?

Sure, the ol' meat-cleaver approach is almost always faster and less headache. The problem is, if you do that, the data will be lost. You mentioned earlier that your daughter doesn't use 1Password often; if that's the case, and you're certain there's nothing of real importance within her existing vault that would be lost by simply wiping the data and starting again, you can definitely do that. But if she has (like most people do) data within 1Password that she needs/wants, I'd only recommend starting over if there's no other option. So, a few questions for you:

1. IS the data in your daughter's vault important to keep if possible?
    2. Does it exist elsewhere - possibly in a mobile device or another instance of 1Password?
    3. Is Dropbox itself a) running and b) up to date on your daughter's Mac? 26 weeks is a long time; if she's not keen on keeping software updated, it could be that Dropbox itself is out of date and needs to be updated before you can start syncing again.

That's enough for now. We'll start over if we have to, but I'd like to figure out what's going on here and save your daughter's data if we can. Master Passwords don't just change themselves, which means in cases where it seems as if they might have, there's usually a reason, and a solution. Let me know!

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars
    Ok
    1) the only important data she thinks is in there is to do with her online banking. She can get round this in other ways and if necessary reregister so it’s not the end of the world.
    2) no it doesn’t exist elsewhere
    3) Dropbox appears to be up to date and syncing properly

She henstly can’t remember changing her master PW, but I can’t see any other explanation.

Simon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@statto1927 - well, if you're certain, then it's actually relatively easy: with 1Password open but locked, just click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data -- that will do exactly what it says, then quit 1Password. The next time you launch it, it will be as if she is a new user. Just create a standalone vault, and begin entering your data again. This time, maybe write down the Master Password somewhere, especially if she doesn't use it for long stretches of time.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks for your help. Cheers!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@statto1927 - you're quite welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.