1password 3.8.20 fails to open on MAC OS 10.14.2 .

Not sure if the latest update killed this, but it was working until very recently. When I try to get to the upgrade server, I get an error server not found.

1Password Version: 3.8.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MAC OS 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 3.8.20 fails to open on MAC OS 10.14.2 .

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

1PW3 is very ancient. I am surprised that it was still working.

Your best choice is to upgrade to 1PW7. This is, of course, a paid upgrade. You can either subscribe, which includes 1PW for all platforms and will include all upgrades, or buy a stand-alone licence, which covers 1PW7 for Mac but would require a further purchase when 1PW8 comes out should you want to upgrade then. Note that these options hold only for direct purchases from AgileBits, the version from the App Store is subscription only.

I don't know how you would get your data from your 1PW3 version, since 1PW3 isn't working. But I expect that AgileBits staff (who will answer in due course) can advise you on this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davidbranch: The update function in 1Password 3 hasn't worked for years, since we upgraded our update server. If you upgrade to 1Password 7, you'll just need to import your existing data into your new vault using File > Import > 1Password Keychain -- select the .agilekeychain vault you were using in 1Password 3 and you'll be good to go. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

So I have 1Password version 3.8.22 on my iMac .. On iOS my iPhone is set up too. So, I just upgraded my mac to Mojave and now it's not working on my iMac. The iPhone is still working. I DO NOT want to lose any information and I want to clarify how to get this working again. So you are saying I just have to purchase 1Password 7, and then import 1Password Keychain .agilekeychain ? Somewhere I just read something about disconnecting the Version 3 Extension first. I don't even know if I'm using the Version 3 extension at all. I guess I have to buy from 1Password website, which I'll do, but what about my iOS devices.. will they still work? Thanks..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artwindows: If you were able to access all of your data in the AgileKeychain vault you were using in the main 1Password 3 app prior to updating your OS, and you have not deleted the AgileKeychain from your computer, you can import the data from it directly into your new vault after setting up 1Password 7. Just select it under File > Import > 1Password Keychain. :)

And you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. That way don't need to worry about future updates, or configuring sync across your devices.

Either way, let me know if there's anything I can help with.

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

Thanks.. I just think it's kind of overkill for me, since I'm the only one using 1Password here. Your program is very nice, but honestly, I don't use most of the features. That's why I just prefer to buy a stand alone app and the app on my 1 iPhone. I guess I don't understand all the membership really gives me for an annual fee. I do it with photoshop and I like not dealing with upgrades, so we'll see. I'll check out the features, but I've had no problem with just owning the single version all of these years.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artwindows: That makes sense. If you're okay with paying for individual upgrades as needed, and you're using 1Password on a single platform, that may be a good fit for you. The main differences with the membership are:

• 1Password.com web interface, for accessing your account/data in the browser
    • Travel Mode, for removing data from your devices before crossing borders
    • Automatic offsite backup and item history, for recovering from disasters or simple mistakes
    • Use the latest version of 1Password seamlessly across all devices -- no sync configuration or upgrade costs

No matter how you end up using 1Password, if you have any questions, we're here to help you get the most out of it. :)

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

Thanks. I really appreciate the information.
    One last question for now. If I go with the membership and then decide to go back to a stand alone product, is there a way to retrieve, print out or download a full file of my passwords and info?
    It’s basically 36.00/year then, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. I really appreciate the information.

@artwindows: You're very welcome! :chuffed:

One last question for now. If I go with the membership and then decide to go back to a stand alone product, is there a way to retrieve, print out or download a full file of my passwords and info?

You could do that, but I'd recommend just copying the items to a local ("standalone") vault in that case. Much less trouble. Even without a subscription, you'll be able to access the data in the account after the trial.

It’s basically 36.00/year then, correct?

In US dollars, yep! Cheers! :)

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

Not sure I understand. Are you saying to download the app from App Store? and then what happens when free trial ends? I can pay for stand alone at that time using the same downloaded app? OR are you saying to just buy the stand alone app upgrade from my v3 to v7 and forget the membership download? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artwindows: The only free trial is for a 1Password.com membership, and that's available whether you get 1Password from the App Store or our website.

If you want to purchase a license for the standalone app, you can do that from right within the app, downloaded from our website. You can find more information about what's new in version 7 in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

But if you go with a 1Password membership subscription, you don't need to purchase anything else; it's all included. As such, I would not recommend paying for both that and licenses. Does that help? :)

• davidbranch
    davidbranch
    Community Member

I downloaded ver 7 for MAC. The install takes you to install free trial which in the next step asks you to accept the terms of service which is for the subscription. Where in the install can you purchase the app.?

• davidbranch
    davidbranch
    Community Member

Ignore previous, I found where to purchase a license which I did. I'm now trying to import the keychain but not finding it on the MAC. I did a backup before dragging Version 3 to trash thinking I could find the backup in finder. Any idea where the default folder is. Search does not find 1Password or .agile

• davidbranch
    davidbranch
    Community Member

Patience - found backups, they are .zip files. 1Password 2018-12-26 101206 (78 items).agilekeychain_zip The import keychain does not seem to recognize this.

• davidbranch
    davidbranch
    Community Member

Success, renamed file from _zip to .zip, uncompressed and then import recognized it.

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

@brenty Ok, so I downloaded free trial.. Got it all set up I think, but now I CANNOT add new passwords. It's asking for some account info which I don't see I have. This is what I was trying to avoid, wasting more time. So what did I miss?? I don't know what it wants in account info. Thanks.

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

@brenty I'd like to get a phone number to talk with someone please. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davidbranch: Sorry for the confusion there. Indeed, 1Password ill only give you a license purchase option if you set it up with a local vault. When using a membership account, a license is not necessary, so we don't want the app telling you to buy one in that case. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artwindows: Can you be more specific about where you're getting stuck? Take a screenshot of what you're talking about. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

We do not have a call center, and frankly it really isn't practical to communicate images, detailed instructions, and diagnostic information via voice anyway, but we're here to help in any way we can. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

Thanks so much. I’ll work on that later. I CAN still add passwords from the iPhone. It’s just on the iMac computer where “add item” is grayed out since upgrading. I’ll do screenshot later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We'll be here. :)

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member

@brenty sorry for delay.. Ok, so here's what I don't get. I know I signed up for the free trial, but it continues to ask me to sign up for free trial. I don't understand why I cannot edit or add accounts on my iMac. phone working ok. but not on iMac.. Why is it asking me to sign up again? Also, don't understand the part about adding account. Can you look up my account to see if I'm already signed up or what's going on? Thanks. Also, IF I decide to just buy the single license for my iMac and use my iPhone with the app, How do I go about changing from my update from the App Store which I'm using, (I guess), to the stand alone app 1password 7? Do I just buy it from your site, download it and install, and then it will find the agilebits file automatically?

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Here are some screen shots of confusing info.
    1) I already signed up for the 30day thing, but I still get screens below, asking to sign up again.. ????
    2) I only use iMac and iPhone/ipad for 1Password so do I really need the yearly fee instead of stand alone?
    3) Honestly, to me this is a complicated set up when I really only want to save my passwords in a simple app that syncs with my iPhone.
    4) Why is my iMac 1Password seem to be READ ONLY, as it shows below..
    Anyway, thanks again for your help.. I'd probably stay with the yearly setup if I can get this working one time, and not have to deal with it every time there 's an upgrade, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artwindows: The screenshots were helpful, but I've removed them since they appeared to contain some sensitive information you probably don't want to share with the internet here on a public forum.

1) I already signed up for the 30day thing, but I still get screens below, asking to sign up again.. ????
    4) Why is my iMac 1Password seem to be READ ONLY, as it shows below..

You said you signed up for the trial, but it looks like you haven't actually signed into your 1Password account in the app. Your screenshots showed you bringing that up, in Preferences > Accounts, by clicking the + to add it. Are you able to enter your account credentials? That will remove the read only restriction, and allow you to migrate your existing data to the account (and remove the old vault).

3) Honestly, to me this is a complicated set up when I really only want to save my passwords in a simple app that syncs with my iPhone.

Then you just need to setup your other devices with your 1Password account to access your data on those as well:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

Anyway, thanks again for your help.. I'd probably stay with the yearly setup if I can get this working one time, and not have to deal with it every time there 's an upgrade, etc.
    2) I only use iMac and iPhone/ipad for 1Password so do I really need the yearly fee instead of stand alone?

I would say yes. Besides making it so you never need to deal with license management (or upgrade fees) and sync configuration again, your encrypted 1Password data is automatically backed up offsite, so even if all your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you just need to sign back in to access your data.

Anyway, let me know how it goes, and we'll continue from there. :)

• artwindows
    artwindows
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty I'm so sorry, but I'm lost. I guess this is easy to the rest of the world, but it's not to me and I don't have the information to put into this account window. I don't know what a Sign-in address is that has some sort of "team" email, and never got one. What is my "team" is supposed to be.. NO secret Key either.. it may just be such a great secret that I don't even get it. I know my email.. So how do I get this information.. ? Then, it's asking to scan or put in manually.. I would scan, but scan what? There's nothing to scan that I can find. Where is that located? When would I have received something to scan?

OPTION 1) I might have to sign up for the free trial again.. it keeps asking me to. Maybe it never went through even though I selected the free trial options when I downloaded the app.

OPTION 2) and might be best option, Maybe I can just keep using the iPhone APP and forget about the desktop version? I'm using the iPhone app with Dropbox and it works like it did before I did any of this stuff. Would be nice to have the desktop working, but I've lost hours of work time with this. Will my iPhone 1Password app continue to work with dropbox and/or iCloud ? Too bad someone from your support team won't call me and set it up in 2 minutes. I'd be paying hundreds of dollars over the years once it's working but no one will call. I find that very odd and not very user friendly given they're asking me to pay an ongoing yearly fee while letting me try to sort this out through this one venue.

(This is day 5 for me trying to get this worked out. I used Passwords Plus for years before purchasing 1Password. It's sad that I had this program for years, recommended it to people, and now I'm losing years of information or have to transfer it one by one, 700 entries plus if I can't get this working. )

I know you're doing your best on this, and I appreciate it, but it's just extremely frustrating.

Thanks.. here's the screen shot again to clarify.

[removed by 1Password staff - this is a public forum]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm so sorry, but I'm lost. I guess this is easy to the rest of the world, but it's not to me and I don't have the information to put into this account window.

@artwindows: Thanks for getting back to me! No need to be sorry. This actually helps a lot.

I don't know what a Sign-in address is that has some sort of "team" email, and never got one. What is my "team" is supposed to be.. NO secret Key either.. it may just be such a great secret that I don't even get it. I know my email.. So how do I get this information.. ?

Sorry for the confusion there. "your-team.1password.com" is just a placeholder example sign in address for a 1Password membership of any kind. Earlier you said you signed up for the trial...but it sounds like maybe you never actually did. The only way you will have 1Password account credentials -- including Secret Key and Sign In Address -- will be if you signed up for a 1Password membership subscription account, like I mentioned earlier. Did you do that?

https://1password.com/sign-up/

Then, it's asking to scan or put in manually.. I would scan, but scan what? There's nothing to scan that I can find. Where is that located? When would I have received something to scan?

With a 1Password membership, you will have an Emergency Kit:

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

That will include account details you can either enter manually, or scan a QR code, to sign in.

OPTION 1) I might have to sign up for the free trial again.. it keeps asking me to. Maybe it never went through even though I selected the free trial options when I downloaded the app.

Did you maybe purchase a license for 1Password for Mac version 7 instead of signing up for the membership?

OPTION 2) and might be best option, Maybe I can just keep using the iPhone APP and forget about the desktop version? I'm using the iPhone app with Dropbox and it works like it did before I did any of this stuff. Would be nice to have the desktop working, but I've lost hours of work time with this. Will my iPhone 1Password app continue to work with dropbox and/or iCloud ? Too bad someone from your support team won't call me and set it up in 2 minutes. I'd be paying hundreds of dollars over the years once it's working but no one will call. I find that very odd and not very user friendly given they're asking me to pay an ongoing yearly fee while letting me try to sort this out through this one venue.

It isn't possible to configure your computer over the phone though, certainly not in 2 minutes, and certainly not feasible to transmit screenshots, etc. that way either. I also don't see how you could have spent hundreds of dollars when we have only had two paid upgrades of 1Password for Mac. We can definitely get you using the desktop app, but we can't sign up for you. You would need to do that yourself, so that only you ever have your account credentials. Sorry.

(This is day 5 for me trying to get this worked out. I used Passwords Plus for years before purchasing 1Password. It's sad that I had this program for years, recommended it to people, and now I'm losing years of information or have to transfer it one by one, 700 entries plus if I can't get this working. ) I know you're doing your best on this, and I appreciate it, but it's just extremely frustrating. Thanks.. here's the screen shot again to clarify.

Please stop. You're not losing any information, and you also do not have to transfer anything by hand. If you had followed one of my two suggestions in my first reply to you weeks ago, you'd be in better shape, but if you'll focus and stick with me on this I'm sure we can get you sorted.

In that spirit, I'd appreciate it if you would answer some questions for me:

1. Is it your intention to use a 1Password membership going forward, to access your 1Password data across all your devices seamlessly?
    2. If so, on which device do you have all of your 1Password data currently?
    3. What are the OS and 1Password versions you're using on that device?
    4. Did you already sign up for a 1Password membership? https://1password.com/sign-up/

Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.