Master Passwords and vaults

jmanich
jmanich
Community Member

I recently upgrade my single 1Password account to a Family option. I personally have a MacBook (adorable), a 2017 iMac 5K an iPhone X, and a 2017 iPad Pro 9". I installed the Family option first on the Adorable. It asked me to select a new Master Password. Everything went smoothly. I now have on the Adorable, 2 vaults: a private one (pretty much my original) and a Shared. Next went to the phone, iPad and iMac. Something weird happened: in all devices except for the Adorable, I have 3 vaults: Private, shared and a iCloud one. The master password for all except the adorable is the OLD master pwd. How to I make it all the same?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jmanich
    jmanich
    Community Member

iPassword ver 6.8.8
    OS version: 10.14.2; iOS 12.1.2
    Sync: iCloud

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jmanich! I'm sorry for the confusion. You've created a 1password.com account, and imported your data. All of that is good, how it's supposed to be. But on your other devices, you need to switch over to your new account so everything's in sync via the 1password.com servers and no old standalone vaults remain (the iCloud vault you mentioned). Here are the steps to do that. Let us know if you have any questions or difficulties. :)

• jmanich
    jmanich
    Community Member

I do not believe that to be the case. Look at the two attached screenshots. They clearly show the existence of 3 vaults, 2 of them are for the moment identical. Per your suggestion, I went to the settings page on the iPad and it shows clearly that I'm logged in to the Family account. The other 2 shots show the same information on the MacBook.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@jmanich Go to the device of your last screenshot. Delete the vault named "Primary" and you should be all set. Make sure all the data in "Primary" is safely stored in "Private" first. hth

• jmanich
    jmanich
    Community Member

ok, I have done so with 2 devices, will do the 3rd time tonight. I'm thankful for everyone here, but I fail to understand why this was not taken care with the setup of the Family option. Again thanks @vplewis and @Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmanich - we do try to automate as much of the process on the first device (where you do the actual migration) as possible, but even there, we don't want to make assumptions about what you want to do with your data. It's your data, after all. And on other devices, simply signing into a 1password.com account (Families or otherwise) does not necessarily mean you no longer want to retain your existing standalone vault(s). We'd get far more pushback (legitimately!) if we removed all standalone vaults every time someone signed into an account in one of their 1Password apps. That's why the documentation on migrating data to an account which I linked to previously mentions to remove the older, no-longer-needed standalone vaults after signing into your account: so you can clean up those loose ends.

Glad you're up and running, and let us know if you have any other questions or issues. :) :+1:

• jmanich
    jmanich
    Community Member

I can see that, but that auto removal was done on the first device, that was the confusing part, at least to me. It gave me a sense that the setup on the other devices was somewhat incomplete. To add to the confusion, the first device used the new Masterpassword, while all other subsequent devices used the old one.

OK no biggie. I love the app and have been using it for a long time. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmanich - I really am sorry for the confusion, and I hope you'll take my word for it when I say once this process is successfully completed, it's behind you and you don't have to worry about it again. Depending on your specific setup, however, it can be a little bumpy to transition. Our main goal is to make sure 1Password isn't making any decisions on your behalf that would result in data loss. Secondary to that is helping make the process as smooth as possible. That's why auto-removing the vault on the first device can happen -- because we KNOW you're trying to migrate your data. But on other devices, there's no way for the apps you have installed there to know what occurred on the first device -- or what you intend to do with the data on this device. That's why - since you're not actually performing the data migration on those secondary, later devices - we don't make any assumptions about what you want to do there.

The Master Password issue is similar: 1Password uses the vault password of the very first vault you create or sync to when you first set up 1Password on any device. For standalone users, that's their Primary vault (your old Master Password). Any new vaults or 1password.com accounts added after that will be secondary for that device, meaning you still use the same Master Password. That's why, until you remove the standalone vault, you're still using the older Master Password you used for your standalone setup, instead of the new one you created for your 1password.com account. Once you remove the standalone vault(s) and are running only your 1password.com account, it will use that new Master Password to unlock the app on that device, because that's the only one present. Hope that helps! And like I said, now that you've successfully transitioned, you won't have to worry about this again. :)

• jmanich
    jmanich
    Community Member

Got it , my appreciation for the support.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

You’re quite welcome! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.