1password-mini: password generator always visible

sejtam
sejtam
Community Member

Is there a way to make the password generator always available in 1P mini even if lot logged in?
I often have to generate passwords for other services (which I personally don'thave to keep, just assign the
initial password) and having a secure generator at my fingertips would be nice w/o having to stay logged
into 1P

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sejtam - not quite sure what you mean by "logged in." If you're using a 1Password native app such as 1Password for Mac, you can keep the app running, and you should always have the password generator available to you. If you're using 1password.com in a browser only, then you'd have to be signed into your account and leave that browser window open to be able to use the password generator. But if you're not willing to do either of those things, then no, the generator will not be available for your use. Though there are plenty of password generators on the web -- just make sure you use one that publishes how it generates passwords, and does so client-side (instead of generating them on their server and sending them to you over the web).

• mkoerber
    mkoerber
    Community Member

I am usig 1P7 on Mac. In the menu-bar, 1P mini site but when I click it I have to log into 1P before it gives me the Password Generator

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mkoerber - unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, that's expected behavior: you cannot access 1Password - any part of it, including the Password Generator - until you unlock it via your Master Password. It should remain open until you either manually lock it again, or you reach one of the timeout conditions you have set in Preferences > Security. Hope this helps! :)

• mkoerber
    mkoerber
    Community Member

Yes that is what is happening. but I wonder why the password generation function needs to be thus protected. The 1P password generator is good and I use it to generate passwords for other places (which I don't necessarily store in 1P myself). Thus it would be nice to have direct access w/o having to always unlock 1P when the timeout had it locked. Not a big thing but it would smoothen workflows.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mkoerber - thanks for saying you like the Password Generator! :) It's an interesting idea: having a portion of 1Password be available without unlock (i.e. - Master Password entry or biometric unlock). I'm not entirely sure how that would work, since at present, it's assumed users will want to save and use generated passwords, so every one is saved into the users' Passwords category. But it's something we can consider for the future. In the meantime, you can adjust the timeout settings in Preferences > Security so that 1Password is less likely to lock (and thus require unlock) while you're sitting at your device.

This discussion has been closed.