distinguish entries in multilpe vaults

mkoerber
mkoerber
Community Member

We use multiple vaults for separate different groups of users/purposes, and also each have a personal vault (plus the local one on the local system). It has happened a few times that someone (me included) added an entry intended for a specific group-vault but accidentally had it end up on the local vault/file or in the personal one. This causes problems when the entry is then not available for other users of that vault (and they possibly add a competing one, and then we have a conflict or confusion of which data is correct)

When searching, you can see the vault indicated below the entry, but just barely, as all that is distinguishing is a small icon. When adding an entry, it's the same the vault is indicated by a small icon below the name only..

It would be useful if 1P could more clearly identify the vaults in both cases. One idea would be to allow one to assign background colours for each vault which would be shown while creating an entry and when displaying found entries, or to show the icon for each vault in the background in large/somewhat transparent as a much more insistent visual clue to which vault the entry (is to) belong(s) to.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:multiple vaults

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mkoerber! Thanks for the suggestions. Indeed, this is one of the reasons we don't recommend users keep local vaults around if they're also using a 1password.com account -- but such a thing can happen even if you've got multiple accounts, such as a personal account and a work/office account.

The best thing to do is make sure everyone has their Vault for Saving set to the proper work-related vault in Preferences > Vaults, and after that, remember to double-check each time you're adding a new item to make sure the selected vault is where you want the item to be, especially when that's not the main vault. Hope that helps! :)

• mkoerber
    mkoerber
    Community Member

RIght. If i remember it's easy. but colour coding the entries (and the shown vault) with a background colour/icon would be best

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk - heh. Well, I suppose each person's definition of "sore thumb" is different, which is kind of what makes the world go 'round, but in general, we want 1Password to be as unobtrusive as possible. So, while I'll certainly pass along @mkoerber's wishes, I agree I don't know that I think it's likely to happen. But thanks to you both for the discussion. :)

• mkoerber
    mkoerber
    Community Member

a gentle background colour for entries shown is not obstrusive and in fact helpful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.