Inconsistent behavior with auto-submit, Login/All Items in 1Password mini [Will be improved]

robbinia
robbinia
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi
i am testing out 1P as part of a possible move from Roboform. I am trying 1P on mac, iOS and windows, but this post is related only to windows.
I am running windows 10, latest update, Firefox 61.0.2, 1Password 7.2.576, Firefox 1P extension 4.7.2.90.

I am frustrated by inconsistent behaviour across the various apps as described below:

Firefox extension icon

• Will auto-submit logins into same browser tab (good)
  • Have to press “all items” each time to get list of logins (bad) - would like to default to listing all items

1P mini app in windows notification area

• Defaults to all items (good, unlike above)
  • Doesn’t bring browser to front/main window when selecting a login & browser is hidden/not started (bad)
  • Populates login fields but doesn’t auto-submit (bad)

Launching 1P mini app via ctrl/alt/”\” keystrokes

• Defaults to all items (good)
  • Doesn’t bring browser to front/main window when selecting a login & browser is hidden/not started (bad)
  • Populates login fields and auto-submits (good)

Main 1P app

• Brings browser to main window when selecting a login & browser is hidden/not started (good)
  • Open new browser tab every time (bad)
  • Auto-submits login (good)

What I would like is for all approaches to work consistently:

• Default to all items listed
  • Bring browser to front when completing a login
  • Open login in same browser tab
  • Auto-submit login

Can you work on making the various apps work in a consistent way ?

Thanks
Ian

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @robbinia,

Thanks for reporting this.

Yes, we'll be improving 1Password on all platforms to be consistent. Right now, 1Password for Windows is the youngest app we have (started in very late 2016) and will take some time to get it consistent.

Have to press “all items” each time to get list of logins (bad) - would like to default to listing all items

That's intentional and behaves the same way on macOS, it is supposed to show the matching list or as 1Password 7 on macOS now calls; Suggested Items.

We will be switching to the Suggested Item list on Windows in a future update, so that it'll show the matching Logins along with Credit Cards and Identities.

What's not normal on Windows is that when you press Control + Alt + \, the alt key is key to bringing up 1Password mini with all items shown by default. This is a bug and will be fixed in a future update.

If you de-focus your browser and press that shortcut, you'll see the all item list.

Doesn’t bring browser to front/main window when selecting a login & browser is hidden/not started (bad)

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce this but that sounds like the issue with Go and Fill. We're planning to rebuild how Go and Fill works, certain browsers just doesn't like our current methods of opening sites.

Populates login fields but doesn’t auto-submit (bad)

That's the same issue as above, certain browsers do not like this behavior and won't process it.

There's a chance we may never be able to fix this if the browser is hidden or closed. However, as of macOS 10.14, auto-submit will be disallowed by Apple, so we'll likely to remove this support completely and from Windows as well in the future as it may be deemed a security risk.

Open new browser tab every time (bad)

That happens on macOS for me as well. There may not be a way to do this reliably because we're telling the OS to open the URL, it doesn't know that you want to reuse the same tab. There's a good chance we may remove it from both platforms, so that it always open a new tab to be consistent.

• dnbdude82
    dnbdude82
    Community Member

Any update on when "We will be switching to the Suggested Item list on Windows in a future update, so that it'll show the matching Logins along with Credit Cards and Identities." will happen?

I recently switched form Mac to PC for my main work OS and it has been time consuming to figure out these differences and search for these threads. We definitely need one quick keyboard shortcut that will allow us to search all items in 1P like on Mac.

Also, I will report a bug. In Windows 10 with 1P 7.2.617 when you click on the extension in all browsers the cursor will flash like it's ready for your input but typing will do nothing so you have to click in the box another 1 or 2 times more to be able to search.

Please update for Windows ASAP!!

Thanks.

• You can always search as soon as you open mini @dnbdude82, no matter what's actually displayed. To expound, if you press Ctrl + \ while looking at this post, you'll see just your forum Login (most likely), but if you start typing, 1Password will search All Items.

I'm also not able to reproduce the issue with clicking on the extension icon myself. I'm able to search immediately once mini shows without issue. That said, this could actually be a manifestation of a few different known issue. Is this something that happens every time you show mini or only after you first unlock? If 1Password is locked, do you see a similar issue with the Master Password field? This will help me determine which might maybe be biting you so we can take a closer look. Thanks! :chuffed:

• dnbdude82
    dnbdude82
    Community Member

@bundtkate are you sure you are on a Windows system? What you said is true for Mac but when I do that for Windows it is only showing logins.

All browsers. Tested on multiple machines.

Windows 10 with 1P 7.2.617

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @dnbdude82,

Yes, 1Password mini on Windows will default to showing the Login list when you're on a browser tab but if you start typing the name, it'll narrow or switch to showing all items. Here's a quick video showing it in action.

Your browser does not support the video tag.
  • dnbdude82
    dnbdude82
    Community Member

@MikeT in your example all I see are Facebook logins. I do not see identities or credit cards being shown which is exactly what I am reporting.

What am I missing here?

• Hi @dnbdude82,

I apologize, we misunderstood the issue you were mentioning. Yes, you can't search all items while on a browser tab, it will be limited to all Login items. If you do this outside of the browser, it'll search all items.

For now, the only quick way to get to your credit cards or identities is to use Alt + 4 for Credit Card tab or Alt + 5 for Identities tab within 1Password mini.

We don't have a timeframe on the 1Password mini improvements, it's near the top of our list to be start soon.

• dnbdude82
    dnbdude82
    Community Member

Yes we are clear now. We need all items to populate since we have many logins, identities, and CCs. Again the functionality works on Mac.

Really hope yall can get it updated soon. It's one of the most important functions.

Thank you for your prompt replies.

• 1Password mini definitely is a vital core function that needs to work better; we are making steady improvements to our codebase in each 1Password update but there are still certain work we have to finish first before we can rework 1Password mini from the bottom up.

You may have notice the long list of improvements we made in 7.3 update in other areas, these are the result of the core foundation updates we've done and what we plan to do for 1Password mini as well soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dnbdude82: Ironically, one of the complaints we get with 1Password for Mac is that people don't want Identities and Credit Cards displayed that prominently. I don't think we can please everyone, but we'll keep working to find the best balance. :)

• dnbdude82
    dnbdude82
    Community Member

@brenty I can certainly understand that. Our main priority at the moment is to have the Chrome extension for Windows 10 function as it does on Mac. Currently it is much more cumbersome to get info filled for logins, identities, and credit cards. And when I say much more cumbersome in reality it is only 2 clicks vs 1 but my whole family (which all just moved to Windows) is conditioned to click the extension (or keyboard shortcut) and then just type the keywords needed whether its login, identity, or credit card and then toggle down to what we need. Now we have to click the extension and then select if it is login, identity, or credit card. That might not sound like much more but visually each of those symbols is similar. I have lost count of the amount of times I've clicked on credit card instead of identity. Multiply this times 100 every day and it's an issue. It's a big issue for us.

How about this? Why does the Firefox extension for Windows 10 look different then Chrome, Edge, Opera, and Vivaldi? It functions in the way we need it to, just as it does on Mac. I wish we could use Firefox more because of this but unfortunately we rely heavily on Chrome.

We really need these Windows extensions to function like Mac soon please. Thank you so much for listening and for all of your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can certainly understand that. Our main priority at the moment is to have the Chrome extension for Windows 10 function as it does on Mac. Currently it is much more cumbersome to get info filled for logins, identities, and credit cards. And when I say much more cumbersome in reality it is only 2 clicks vs 1 but my whole family (which all just moved to Windows) is conditioned to click the extension (or keyboard shortcut) and then just type the keywords needed whether its login, identity, or credit card and then toggle down to what we need. Now we have to click the extension and then select if it is login, identity, or credit card. That might not sound like much more but visually each of those symbols is similar. I have lost count of the amount of times I've clicked on credit card instead of identity. Multiply this times 100 every day and it's an issue. It's a big issue for us.

@dnbdude82: It's going to take time, but we will be refreshing the design of 1Password mini on Windows as well. We use it every day, and we can definitely see areas we'd like to improve it to make it more useful and efficient too. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

However,

How about this? Why does the Firefox extension for Windows 10 look different then Chrome, Edge, Opera, and Vivaldi? It functions in the way we need it to, just as it does on Mac. I wish we could use Firefox more because of this but unfortunately we rely heavily on Chrome. We really need these Windows extensions to function like Mac soon please. Thank you so much for listening and for all of your help.

It really sounds to me like you're using different extensions. If you were using the 1Password desktop extension which is a companion to the app in all your browsers, the UI would be exactly the same, as it's handled by the 1Password app itself:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

So I suspect you've installed 1Password X in one or more browsers, and that's causing you some confusion:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Which do you prefer?

• dnbdude82
    dnbdude82
    Community Member

Awesome!! I suspected we had something crossed. 1Password X does what we need. We can hit keyboard shortcut, start typing, and boom, we see everything. So for now just Chome and Firefox? We would like to see this functionality in all browsers like Macs extensions but you getting me sorted here just made my life a whole lot easier in Chrome going forward. As always thanks for the support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dnbdude82: 1Password X is officially available for Firefox and Chrome, but the Chrome version should work in most other Chrome-based browsers as well -- Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, and perhaps others I'm forgetting. Does that help? :)

This discussion has been closed.