Update to 7.3.654 fails to start / crashes when viewing certain items [Fixed in 7.3.657]

richardburt
richardburt
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Title says it all.

After updating 1P refuses to start. The login splash screen appears, I log in and then the main programme window briefly appears and then disappears / crashes. There are no error messages shown.

The only way to get into my vaults is to uninstall and install the previous version of 1P.

Auto update is now turned off until this is fixed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @richardburt,

Thanks for reporting this.

We'll need to see your 1Password diagnostics report to see what's going on. We already had a lot of people using this update with zero issues (plus it didn't come up during the public beta builds), so it looks to be limited to your setup right now.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Cryptarcadian
    Cryptarcadian
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I have the same issue on 7.3.654, rendering 1Password unsuable.

I can log in to 1Password fine, briefly enough to see the main window display some items, but then it immediately crashes with no error. I've tried reinstalling 7.3.654 (over the top, without uninstalling), but it hasn't fixed the issue.

I am able to generate a report prior to logging in, so I'll send in my report as well.

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

Me too. My machine just auto upgraded to 7.3.654. Every time I start the app, I type my password in, then I see the list of items briefly, and the window just disappears. Ugh. I'll submit a report...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@Cryptarcadian: Please send a crash report and we will take a closer look at what is going on. Thanks! :+1:

@khutch: I found your email (with a report) on our side, so let's continue our conversation there.

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: BYV-43719-954

• Cryptarcadian
    Cryptarcadian
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@Greg: I already emailed in my report to support+windows@1Password.com right after I wrote the comment above. I included a link to this thread and my username. Hopefully you can find it? If not, happy to send it again!

(edit: the support ID that I got back was #LAM-59966-827, if that helps)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Cryptarcadian,

It does help indeed! We will take a look at the report you've shared and get back to you soon. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: LAM-59966-827

• jkuhlmann
    jkuhlmann
    Community Member

Same issue here. I have two Windows computers with 1Password installed: an HP Z420 workstation running Windows 7 and an HP Elitebook laptop running Windows 10. Both displayed the same message when I launched 1Password today: "1Password has just been updated to 7.3.654." And both are now crashing exactly as described by the other users.

• Hi @jkuhlmann,

Please email your diagnostics report to us as well. We're currently testing our next stable update with the crash fix but we need to make sure your crash is the same one.

Use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• jkuhlmann
    jkuhlmann
    Community Member

@MikeT, I have sent the diagnostic report.

• Hi @jkuhlmann,

Thanks, we got it and I can confirm it is the same crasher.

We've just shipped 7.3.657 with the potential crash fix, please open 1Password and go to the 1Password menu to check for an update. Let us know if it helps.

• Cryptarcadian
    Cryptarcadian
    Community Member

Thanks guys!

I just updated to 7.3.657 and 1Password is working again without crashing. Phew!

Let me guess from the release notes:

Fixed a crash related to refreshing detail views when there is no icon to load. {submitted-crash-reports}

Was this one the cause of the crashes we all experienced? ;)

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @Cryptarcadian,

That's great to hear!

Majority of the crashes we've seen was the other one:

Fixed a crash related to items with empty entries for the Related Items section. {OPW-3705}

We didn't see that one because it is very unlikely to have the Related Items section added to the item without adding a Related Item first but for some reasons, some items had this section and 1Password crashed when it couldn't find anything.

[Updated: I just saw your crash, that's the same crash you got as well, the empty entries]

• Cryptarcadian
    Cryptarcadian
    Community Member

Ah, that's interesting!

I know I have a bunch of older items that have related items that are missing or otherwise became unlinked (i.e. broken related links + orphaned documents), dating back to when they were imported from 1Password 4 into 7 on Windows. I haven't worried about them too much because in my case they're legacy items anyway (used gift vouchers, retired SSH keys, etc), but perhaps it's more common than expected?

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

Thank you! The update fixed the problem.

This makes sense and confuses me at the same time:
    It makes sense since I have many unlinked related links. This happened when I moved some logins and related documents to a new vault. It seems to have broken all the links. I've been slowly trying to fix them all.
    It confuses me since I have a Windows box at work. It's synced to the same vaults. The upgrade happened without a problem. So, this only causes a problem on one of two Windows machines - even though they had the same vaults. If it was due to broken links, I would have expected the problem to be on both boxes.

Either way, it's fixed and I'm happy again!

-Ken

• Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing that with us, that's very helpful.

This happened when I moved some logins and related documents to a new vault. It seems to have broken all the links.

We do inform you of that when you move items with related items that they're not included but they're not supposed to have empty Related Items section saved either; they're stripped and re-generated when you link the next item. We'll double-check that, just to make sure that's the case and if not, we'll get that fixed.

The upgrade happened without a problem. So, this only causes a problem on one of two Windows machines - even though they had the same vaults. If it was due to broken links, I would have expected the problem to be on both boxes.

Really? That would be odd since we were able to reproduce and it was consistent for us. You were doing the same steps to reproduce the crash, typing in the item list?

Note when we were reproducing it, we couldn't crash it until we edit or right-click on it in the item list, viewing the item itself was generally not crashing for us.

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

My crash went like this (and it happened this way every time):
    1) Open 1Password desktop app (by clicking in the task bar/notification area - whatever the area is called with the little icons and the clock)
    2) Type in my password.
    3) The vault would unlock. I would not do anything further - no clicking and no typing.
    4) Then, in about a second or two, the desktop app would just disappear. It was obvious to me that it was a crash since 1Password attempted to restart and I then saw two icons in the notification area.

The crash would happen whether I interacted with the app or not after typing in the password. On my work machine, this didn't happen at all. I don't know if it helps, but my work machine was upgraded first (during the day), and then my home machine was upgraded at night when I got home. (Although with automatic updates on, I really can't confirm exactly when the upgrade took place. The above is only when I interacted with the new version for the first time).

I appreciate the quick effort in fixing this problem. I realize the issue is fixed, but if you need any other info to debug or troubleshoot, I'm more than happy to help.

• Hi @Khutch,

Thanks for the extra details. The crash report you sent us has all of the info we need but it is odd that the way it crashes is different. If it crashed the way you described it, we would've caught it any time in the past month of beta tests. Hmm, we'll review the report again, and figure out why it is different.

Based on our crash report submissions, we have not seen a single one come in yet for the current version, so the actual crash issue is resolved for sure.

• richardburt
    richardburt
    Community Member

Back from holiday now and it's now working for me too (thread starter)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @richardburt,

Thank you for the good news! :+1: I am glad to hear that everything works fine now.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always here for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.