Adding license to install of 1Password 6 on a new computer

Hi! I bought a license of 1Password 6 in Dec 2015 and I'm trying to install it on a new mac. (I am aware of the monthly subscription for 1Password 7, but would like to stay with my perpetual license for now.) I was able to find the legacy download link to install version 6, and I was able to successfully sync it with my existing vault via Dropbox, but the app is running in trial mode. I went to my original purchase email and clicked the activation link, but rather than giving me an activation token, it takes me to https://1password.com/.

How can I activate my fresh install? Is that still an option?

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @garrettgibbons

Do you still have your 1Password license file? Unfortunately the email link isn’t going to work to download it anymore as systems have changed. If you have the file (it may be in the Software Licenses section of 1Password) double click on it. If you do not please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com and they should be able to help. If you email in please post the support ID you get back here so we can make sure your request gets in front of the right eyes. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• garrettgibbons
    garrettgibbons
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben! I'll see if I can find the license file.

• garrettgibbons
    garrettgibbons
    Community Member

Update for anyone else who might have the same trouble: I literally just double-clicked it within 1Password and it authenticated itself.

Thanks, Ben!

• Glad to hear that helped. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• PauHana658
    PauHana658
    Community Member

I have a similar problem. 1Password seems to have reset itself and is now read-only. I have a license file for 1Password 6.8, but clicking it brings up a dialog asking if I want to open the backup 1Password app, not the 1Password app on the external boot drive. As a result, I can't register 1Password -- and I can't edit or add to the vault. No, I don't want to delete the backup app. Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PauHana658: Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information.

But the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions. In that spirit, I've also resent your license information via email.

Just keep in mind that if you purchased a license for an older version, it will not work in the new one. That's a separate purchase if you're not a 1Password.com member.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I understand that you don't want to delete the backup version of 1PW. But perhaps it is worth doing so temporarily. You can zip up the app, then delete it. And unzip the app whenever it suits you, immediately or wait till it is needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. That's a good suggestion. I've got a bunch of versions zipped here myself, for when I need to test something, so they're out of the way the rest of the time. :)

• PauHana658
    PauHana658
    Community Member

Ah, the old zip-a-dee-do-da trick. Good idea! Zipped all my "extra" copies of 1Passwod, and that allowed me to register 1Password with the license file. Thanks for the tip! By the way, Brenty, never did receive the email with the licensing information. Likely my fault. Sorry!

• Hi @PauHana658

By the way, Brenty, never did receive the email with the licensing information. Likely my fault. Sorry!

How did you get your license file then?

Ah, the old zip-a-dee-do-da trick. Good idea! Zipped all my "extra" copies of 1Passwod, and that allowed me to register 1Password with the license file. Thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear that worked out. :)

Ben

• PauHana658
    PauHana658
    Community Member

re: license file...have had it all the while. Keep it in the apps folder right next to the 1Password app so that I won't lose it. Also had several older versions of 1Password in the same folder. After unmounting the Time Machine and Chronosync drives and zipping those older versions in the app folder, I was able to drag-and-drop the license file onto the sole remaining 1Password app and register it.

• Cool. :+1:

• shintajiri
    shintajiri
    Community Member

I have the same trouble. I've been using 1password since July 2009. Every time when I install a new MacOS (OS X), I do clean install with formatting HDD and there were no problems with installing 1Password. I keep my vault, 1Password.agilekeychain, in my Dropbox folder. But this time, After I clean installed MacOS Mojave, my 1Password 6 is running trial mode, and shows that it's expired, now.
    I have 1Password.agilekeychain but no idea about 1Password license file. Aren't they same?

I don't have subscription. Rather I want to keep using 6 with perpetual license.

What should I do now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@shintajiri: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Unfortunately 1Password has no way of knowing whether or not you've purchased it unless you register the app with your license information.

But the good news is that all you need to do is follow the instructions in the license email you received from your purchase and click the link to automatically install the license in 1Password to register the app and remove the trial restrictions.

At this point, normally I would resend your license information via email...but you do not have a license for 1Password for Mac version 6. So either you never purchased that version, or you did from the Mac App Store and would need to install it from your Apple ID purchase history there. Let me know either way!

• itickr
    itickr
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I'm having a similar problem. However, I have a key that I received in email when I bought it a few years back (not a license file). I don't see the option of cut-paste anymore. And the link https://support.1password.com/license-file-faq/ gives a 404.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@itickr: I don't see where anyone posted that link, except you. But I can tell you that a license key would be for 1Password for Mac version 3 or earlier (ca. 2010) or 1Password for Windows version 4 or earlier (2010 as well). It would not work in any later versions, which use a license file. You're entitled to use the specific version you purchased on any compatible device, and your key will work for that. But in order to use the current version you'd either need to purchase a license expressly for that (done from within the app), or you can get all of the apps and updates as part of a 1Password.com membership. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Kundry
    Kundry
    Community Member

I've got a similar problem. I have 1Password 6 and for some reason I can only read and can not change my passwords or add new ones. This has happened some times before. I've got the license file (a file called license.onepassword-license) but when I double click it, it gets opened by the program preview (Vorschau) like a text file. When I try open it with 1Password, nothing happens at all. I have no idea what to do. I neither have that email, nor an account. It has always worked with that license file but this time it doesn't. What should I do?

• Hi @Kundry

Did you install 1Password 7? 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

At a minimum I'd recommend giving membership a shot using the 30 day trial. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Kundry
    Kundry
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

thank you!

I did not install 1Password 7 yet. Is it also possible to solve that problem in 1Password 6?

Kundry

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kundry: if you open the 1Password app and then click on 1Password in the menu bar > About 1Password, can you please tell us the exact app version that you are currently using?

• morlandi
    morlandi
    Community Member

Hello, I've been using 1Password 6 for years, syncing to Dropbox.
    I just bought a new MacBook running Catalina, and installed 1Password 6.8.9 from the Mac App Store.
    After activating Dropbox syncing, I can see all my previous passwords.
    However, 1Password is in "read only" mode.
    Yes, I do have a license file.
    Yes, I double clicked it from Finder.
    Yes, I double clicked it from within 1Password.
    Nothing happens; I can see a 1Password icon flashing for a moment, then no welcome messages, nor error messages.
    The app is still in "read only" mode.
    I followed the "Purchase 1Password" menu item, then pressed the "Purchase Licence" button; nothing happens.
    Please give me some advice on how to solve this.
    I don't mind to buy a new lifetime 1Password 7 licence IF REQUIRED ... AS LONG AS I CAN STILL SHARE PASSWORDS WITH 1PASSWORD 6 INSTANCES INSTALLED IN MY OLD MACMINI OR OTHER DEVICES.
    Thanks for attention

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@morlandi: 1Password 6 and 7 can both use the OPVault format, if you're syncing local vaults between them. Only a 1Password for Mac version 7 license will work with 1Password for Mac version 7 though. So you'd either need to have purchased that, or have a 1Password membership (which includes all of the apps and updates, and requires no separate purchases or sync configuration). Do you have one of those?

• morlandi
    morlandi
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Thank you @brenty , nice to know.
    However, since I'm still happy with 1Password 6 for the moment, is there any chance to activate my 1Password 6 license on a MacBook Pro running Catalina ?
    This problems I faced smell much like a bug.
    The machine if a brand new one, and the OS installation is clean.
    Any suggestion to have 1Password 6 up and running ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@morlandi:

I don't think that this is a bug. I think that this is happening because you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Where did you purchase your 1Password 6 license? If it was from us, it won't be applied to the Mac App Store version of 1Password. You should download 1Password 6 from our website instead, and you will be able to apply your license to that version of the app ;)

• morlandi
    morlandi
    Community Member

Thank you so much @ag_ana ... that worked ! PROBLEM SOLVED !

The license was for 1Password 6 Family Mac + Windows bundle, and as you correctly pointed out it isn't recognized if you install 1Password ver 6.8.9 from Mac App Store; however, it does if you install 1Password ver 6.8.9 from a .pkg file downloaded directly from AgileBits instead.
    This makes sense, but what really puzzled me was that by pressing "Purchase License" I got stuck with no explanation.
    Never mind ! Thank you very much for pointing me into the right direction.

I had to buy so many licenses in the past years starting from "1Password for Windows Family License" and "1Password for Mac Family License" which at that time where sold separately, then "1Password 5 for Mac and Windows", and finally "1Password 6".

I really like the program, but the license plan and the migrations had always been a bit of a mess ;), not to mention the "legacyagilekeychain to vault" conversion ...

Still, I'm really interested (but also scared ;) ) in upgrading to 1Password 7.
    Do I need separate upgrades for Mac and Windows ?
    I would rather avoid the "1Password membership" program and possibly keep my passwords in a private file on Dropbox with a lifetime license.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@morlandi: Glad Ana was able to help. :)

Indeed, licenses can be kind of confusing and troublesome, which is part of why we introduced 1Password memberships years ago: you simply sign into your account no each device to access your data, and you always have access to the latest version. Otherwise licenses are each a separate purchase per version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the trouble here. Generally people save their license files and other related info as Software License items in 1Password, but we can also help via email at support@1password.com if needed. :)

This discussion has been closed.