Touch ID not working for 1Password after MacOS reinstall

13»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frnkr: No worries, and no need. There's a solution. It ain't pretty, but it's worked for many others. Please see my post above.

• louisxiv
    louisxiv
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Having lost TouchID for 1Password on updating OS to Mojave, I just tried the mv Keychain and reboot fix, which did not serve. No TouchID for 1Password after re-enabling.

As iCloud was whinging about ‘problems with [my] iCloud account’ I then did the reverse mv to restore from my Keychain.old, as mentioned by @kestryl, rather than re-enter stuff. Tried 1password again, re-setup TouchID on the off-chance... et voila! 1Password and TouchID play nice together again. Happy Bunny! Even though I still had to re-enter my iClod [sic] password.

(Though... this is Mac and it really shouldn't be like this!)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@louisxiv: I am having trouble wrapping my head around why that worked, but I am so glad to hear it did. Thank you for sharing your experience, in case it might help someone else. :)

• lemic
    lemic
    Community Member

FYI: By resetting the keychain and updating to 10.14.1 mojave yesterday, the issue actually was resolved.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! :)

• wozraf
    wozraf
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Hi @brenty I have similar issue. When I'm opening 1password I do not have an option to open with Touch ID even though this option is checked in 1password's preferences. After doing some magic tricks e.g. restarting keychain as describe above I can open 1password with Touch ID but unlocking with Apple Watch is not working any more.

My support ID is [#CDJ-28541-852]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wozraf: I'm sorry to hear that, but it isn't something we can help with. 1Password does not have an "unlock with Apple Watch" feature, and both that and Touch ID are handled exclusively by the OS. If resetting the Keychain doesn't work for you, you'd need to contact Apple for assistance.

• kestryl
    kestryl
    Community Member

@wozraf When resetting the Keychain, your “unlock Mac with Apple Watch” often will break. the fix is to go into system preferences > iCloud and either re-enter your iCloud password (if prompted to do so), or log out of iCloud, and once the log out is complete, log back into iCloud. Resetting the keychain often breaks the link to your iCloud account, which is necessary for using the Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kestryl: You're quick! :)

@wozraf: There was a great iMore article that helped me in the past I was trying to find, and I think this is it:

https://www.imore.com/auto-unlock-not-working-heres-how-fix-it

Worth a shot!

• wozraf
    wozraf
    Community Member

@kestryl Thanks men. It works (at least for now). I done sudo... move trick as mentioned in this thread. Once I was able to log in to 1 password with Touch ID I log out of iCloud and then log in. Now it works. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Glad to hear it. :)

• woodeb
    woodeb
    Community Member

Hey I'm having similar issues on my 2018 MBP. The Touch Bar doesn't even display a touchID button. Happened after I had to reset my computer password ~2 weeks back. Would really like to get the feature back.

• Hi @woodeb

Is Touch ID working on your computer at all (i.e. in places other than 1Password)?

Ben

• woodeb
    woodeb
    Community Member

Works fine for unlock/App Store purchases (though I'd have to check to make sure on the latter). I've tried resetting the app, reinstalling it, and resetting my keychain. When I first open it, I get a notification that "master password is required for touchID" but that goes away and it's as if I don't even have a sensor on my computer after that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@woodeb: I really appreciate the details on how you got into that state. Hopefully Apple will continue to smooth out some of the edge cases with future updates. But currently there are only two known solutions if the Secure Enclave data is mismatched for Touch ID: my instructions above for regenerating the Keychain, or, failing that, reinstalling macOS. There is not anything 1Password can do to fix anything with SEP/biometrics; they're handled entirely by the system.

• canoestew
    canoestew
    Community Member

• canoestew
    canoestew
    Community Member

I, too, have had problems getting Touch ID to open 1 Password. Running OS 14.2. I have had success by moving the keychain with the above mentioned sudo terminal command. I then opened 1 Password, deactivated the Touch ID option in preferences, quit 1 Password, rebooted, reopened 1 Password and activated Touch ID in preferences. Rebooted again. Touch ID will now open 1 Password.
    Thanks to those who have shared their success stories.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@canoestew - so I take it you're back up and running again now? Is so, I'm glad to hear it! If I've missed something, though, and you still need help, let us know. :)

• canoestew
    canoestew
    Community Member

Yes, I have Touch ID again. Used it several times today with no problem. Thanks for checking in. Glad it's working now as I use Touch ID and 1PWD all the time. Love it. Thanks for a great product and great support.

• canoestew
    canoestew
    Community Member

BY THE WAY, I'm using a 2018 15" MBP, OS 14.2.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, and for the kind words! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• mathiash
    mathiash
    Community Member

Hi,

@brenty - thanks for your fix for this issue. just one question before trying it on my computer: Will moving the keychain file and recreating it delete all my passwords, certificate, etc. stored in my current keychain so that I will have an empty keychain after restarting? Thanks, kind regards Mathias

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mathiash - yes. Removing the keychain will do exactly that: remove the login.keychain and all its contents. That's why we tell you to move it to the desktop, not the trash -- because you may want some of those items. Others will be re-created for you as you go along, but it's best to keep that older one around for a while until you're sure you don't need anything any longer.

• Aktariel
    Aktariel
    Community Member

I am actually having this issue start after my login keychain was reset to default, I'm able to use TouchID to unlock my Mac and purchase App Store apps, and TouchID is enabled in 1PW, but there's no option to even click the fingerprint button on the main unlock interface.

Here's the series of steps that brought me to this place:

• locked out of FIleVault on Mac due to bad password change
    • regained access using Recovery Key
    • user login keychain was reset to default (empty)
    • TouchID was set to "on" in 1PW, but I was told I needed to re-register fingerprints in System Prefs
    • added three fingerprints in System Prefs
    • toggled TouchID in 1PW twice (it was still set to "on", so I turned it off and back on again)
    • still no fingerprint option after 1PW locks
    • installed 10.14.3 update (not reinstall) - previously running 10.14.2
    • still no fingerprint option

I have a different install of Mojave in an APFS container, and 1PW has not stopped working at all on that install throughout this process.

Currently:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
    AgileBits Store

macOS Mojave
    Version 10.14.3 (18D42)

Is the next step to reinstall macOS Mojave in the container in question? would clearing the Secure Enclave records using
    xartutil --erase-all do anything?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mathiash: Just to add to what Lars said, most things will be saved in the iCloud Keychain, and can sync right back unless you've gone out of your way to disable that. But yes, removing the Keychain removes the data inside it, hence saving it to the Desktop.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Aktariel: Very few people have found it necessary to do a full reinstall. The Keychain method is much easier/quicker, and you'll prbably have luck with that to get matching Secure Enclave data in Keychain again after messing with it.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing the same problem as 'joegeorge' and 'Aktariel' with Mojave 10.14.3 and 1P 7.2.4. Since I reset my keychain (Preferences > Reset My Default Keychains), 1P won't unlock using TouchID. TouchID appears to work properly everywhere else.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

The keychain reset method outlined here fixed the problem 😊

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself before I even got a chance to reply, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great weekend, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.