Show number of matched logins on the 1Password icon [Feature req.]

Hi,

It'd be very beneficial to show Show number of matched logins on the 1Password icon (both extension icon and the icon on form fields).

It is very helpful to see if I already have login items on a web page or not. In this way, I'd go to the registration page of the website directly without any click/shortcut.

It can be an optional setting if you think it may be confusing for some.

Regards.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Sorry, I've just realized that the available logins are already opened automatically.
    But, there is a problem there. It shows only one item which is not the first one on the list on page load. If I click to the icon on the field, it lists all saved items. Why? Is it a bug?

Btw, I think I should do the same feature request for the default extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure how showing a number would be beneficial, and it would make the small icon even more difficult to recognize at a glance, if a quarter or more was obscured by a number. I rather like the lock indicator. You can always see any saved Logins matching the site in the inline or toolbar menus. So we're probably not going to do that. I don't know what this means though:

It shows only one item which is not the first one on the list on page load. If I click to the icon on the field, it lists all saved items.

Can you clarify?

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@brenty By default 1PasswordX only offers 1 login item although I have multiple login items for the page, if I click the icon on the login item, it shows the all login items correctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@koraykupe: In every case I've seen, 1Password shows all Login items matching the current URL. If you have a specific example of what you're talking about, that would be helpful.

These statements seem to be contradictory though:

By default 1PasswordX only offers 1 login item although I have multiple login items for the page,

and

if I click the icon on the login item, it shows the all login items correctly.

Could you please elaborate on what you're seeing exactly? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@brenty It works right now. Maybe it was a bug in previous versions.

What about to add the number of matched items to the menu bar just as Todoist? It'd be very helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@koraykupe: To be clear, 1Password X cannot show anything in the menu bar, as it runs entirely in the browser. But as far as the 1Password desktop app, how would you anticipate seeing the number of logins as being helpful?

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Sorry I think I should open this topic in the normal browser extension category. It is helpful because I don't have to run the shortcut first to see if I have a login item. Lastpass and Enpass have this feature and I really like it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm just not sure what benefit it would offer in this case, though I understand that you may be used to it. If you press the keyboard shortcut -- ⌘ \ on the Mac -- 1Password will either fill your login credentials for that site (if there is only one Login item saved), or offer you a list to choose from (if there are more than one). A numbered icon doesn't solve a problem in either case. :)

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Ok, but why do I have to press the keyboard shortcut everytime I visit a website to log in, just for a short check? As long as I can see the number, I can decide to go to the login page or the registration page. But right now I have to press the keyboard shortcut on the home page of a website and check if I have a login item and then go to the login or register page. Am I wrong?

For your point of view, there is no need to list all items automatically on input fields on the 1PasswordX. Then why do you provide such a thing on 1PasswordX?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @koraykupe,

So I think we're getting closer to the core aspects of this request, please let me know if this sounds accurate to you.

It isn't actually that you want the digit, the number of matching items isn't what you're using it for. Instead you're using it as a prompt to remember if you've created an account on any particular site and using that information to determine if you need to visit the sign-in or registration page.

If I'm correct then what you're really after is just to know if there is one or more matches without needing to click anything and that your only requirement is it is visual and dynamic, updating as you change pages. It could even be as simple as changing the colour of the icon although that's a poor choice given it potentially excludes users with certain visual impairments.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hello @littlebobbytables Yes, true. I understand your concern about the visual impairments, but something can be found somehow. A small dot on the top menu icon, or showing an icon/list on inputs as on 1PasswordX. This is also something that I want for the native extension.

1PasswordX is nice, but I want to see the same features on the native extension. Why do you split the features?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Great question, and thank you for the feedback. There are a few features we'd like to bring to 1Password X that are currently being worked on. Would you mind sharing the specific features you feel 1Password X is lacking that the native app has? I'm curious as to what you're referring to when you say that we split the features between the two.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

The most important one is showing the matched items when I focus an input. I have to press the keyboard shortcut to list matched items on the native extension.

The password history is good. It shows all generated passwords by date with the created website. The native one creates "password" items, I don't like that.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

An update on my side: I've seen the "previously generated passwords" on the native extension which is helpful for me. I think I missed it before or it's published recently.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback! Indeed, all Login items will retain the old password(s) under "previously used passwords" when you change it. That's been in the app since, I think, version 3 ten years ago, but maybe even longer. It doesn't get much press, but when you need it it sure comes in handy. ;)

Password generator history is a little bit different in that it does not apply to specific Login items, but rather is just sort of a log of passwords you create, as a safeguard against getting locked out if you forget to save the Login.

We've had a similar mechanism in the desktop apps for years, but they save a Password item for each. That can clutter and confuse things a bit over time though, so we've been working on this new design in 1Password X. I'm glad you're liking it so far. :chuffed:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I also would like to have a number on the icon which indicates if there is or are logins already for this site. Meanwhile I became a fan of Bitwarden and I don‘t want to miss this little number showing on the extension icon. 🤔

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

That's how it actually looks like when opening the Gmail webseite.

I don't know what would be the problem to show the number of available logins on the icon. :|

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

Thanks for your feedback, @DenalB! I've passed it along to the rest of my team. :)

ref: dev/core/core#635

This discussion has been closed.