New Phone - 2FA is gone

mmark
mmark
Community Member

Hi All,

I am the administrator of our 1Password Teams at work. I recently got a new phone, with a new phone my DUO i used for 2FA is no longer there. It says i need to reconnect. But i can no longer login 1Password since i enabled 2FA. How can I get my DUO 2FA back so i can log back in?

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@mmark: If you've really locked yourself out, another admin on the team can help you recover your account:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

Otherwise, we may be able to help, but it can a number of days to do so, since there's a verification process and changes that need to be made to your account if everything checks out.

If you are temporarily away from the device where your authentication code is generated, it may be best to wait until you have access to that device again. alternatively, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile.
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

However, if you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward, or any other devices you've already authorized with your 1Password.com account, you'll need to contact us at support@1password.com to go through the verification process.

• mmark
    mmark
    Community Member

Hi,

I am able to continue using the app, i was just trying to login to the site to invite new team members. I will not be able to get the old phone back. I do not use Authy for 2FA, i use DUO. The only option is to click on reconnect, and all that says is to log into the site and re-enable. which i can't do because its asking for 2FA when i log in. i think it was an update to the browser, i was reading the release notes to 1Password X.

If there is a way you can help me to reset my 2FA that would be great, if it takes a few days that fine, since i can continue using the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mmark: Did you try account recovery? Are you certain you do not have a browser you've already authorized, which you can sign into to disable it? If neither of those options work for you, just shoot us an email like I suggested above and we'll see what we can do to help.

• mmark
    mmark
    Community Member

@brenty I just checked my machine at home and its also asking for 2FA when trying to login. I think this is due to 1Password X update. I already sent an email to support, thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

App updates won't have any effect on whether or not you have two-factor authentication enabled on your account.

Anyway, we'll get back to you via email as soon as we can to see what we can do to assist with this.

ref: MMV-76857-479

• mmark
    mmark
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

You're very welcome. We'll continue the conversation there. :)

• revolverbloom
    revolverbloom
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I also have a similar issue and have contacted support (under the name Marco F). I’ve replaced my phone and laptop and despite performing an iCloud backup prior to this, duo-mobile is now asking me to ‘reconnect’ the app with 1password. The only way I can reconnect the app is by logging in. But now when I login to 1password it is asking for a 2fa code (on top of master key, password). I noticed on the recovery pdf form there is a qr code and I tried using this to re-link duo, but duo does not recognise the code. Can someone in the team help? As a consequence of this I have no access to any of my logins.
    Marco

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've already replied to you in another thread. I'll close this one.

Anyone else with a similar issue should refer to my post above.

This discussion has been closed.