To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to change the name on the account from my wife's to mine?

HenryHPE
HenryHPE
Community Member

The Profile's Name is my wife's. How do I change it to mine? Is that equivalent to changing the name on the account? If so, how do I do that?

1Password Version: 7.
Extension Version: 2.4
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: Don't know
Referrer: forum-search:How to change the name on the account from my wife's to mine?

Comments

• Hi @HenryHPE

Could you please post a screenshot of what name you're referring to? Please be sure there are no sensitive details in the shot as this is a public forum:

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Hello...I am also trying to do this and have searched the forum for instructions, but have been unable to find out the procedure to do this. My Mom & Dad shared an account on a family plan. I "administer" it for them. My dad just passed away and I am trying to change the profile name from his name to hers. I have searched in the vault under profile "edit details" but can't find any way to do this. I see the options to change master password,,email...etc, but no option to change profile name.

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Sorry...forgot to post requested screen shot

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bom13: You can change the name of a 1Password Families (or Teams/Business) membership from the Settings page:

https://start.1password.com/settings/account

But if you want to change the name of a user's account (or an individual membership), you'll need to do that from the Profile page:

https://start.1password.com/profile

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Brent...thanks for the prompt reply. I am referring to the name of a private vault within our family account. This vault is the only (or primary) vault that is being used. I set it up for my parents. One of them has passed away and I wish to rename it. I have tried within the "profile" page, but can't find the means to change it. Please see shot below...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bom13: The Personal/Private vault cannot be modified. You can, however, change the name of a shared/user-created vault by editing it:

https://start.1password.com/vaults

But if you're referring to the name partially shown in your screenshot, you just need to click "Edit Details" below it. Let me know if that helps. :)

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Brent...Yes, I'm referring to the name partially shown in the screenshot. However I can't find any way to change it. Please see the drop down menu directly below (in screenshot) I receive when I click "Edit Details".

And when I try to click on the name (in the upper right hand screen) I don't get anything helpful in that drop down menu either.

Sorry....but I don't know how else to explain this without the shots...but there is nothing in any of the drop down menu's that would allow me to change "Frank" to something else.
    Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bom13: Hmm. It looks like you're on the right track. You should be able to edit the name there:

But it looks slightly different on yours. The only thing I can think of is...you're trying to edit the name on someone else's account...but that can't be right. What browser version are you using, and do you have extensions or settings that might be messing with the page? Let me know what you find.

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Well Brenty...thanks for trying, but at this point I’m throwing in the towel. I can’t understand why this is so difficult in my config and/or why it is different from yours. I have the capability to change the master PW..or regen a new secret key....but cannot do a simple profile change....go figure.😕. I will be visiting my mom this weekend and will try to do this from her Mac directly. FWIW....I setup, maintain & update this 1PW family account for her, in order to secure all her online accounts. With her level of comp. skills she would never be able to do this, and was using the same PW for all of her accounts....a hackers dream! If I can’t do it natively on her machine I’ll try some more research.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bom13 - let us know what happens when you've got the ability to try this change directly on your mother's Mac. I'm guessing this is a permissions issue, but that may not be the case if you can't do it there, either.

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

OK...will do...thanks Lars (and Brenty) for the info.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bom13 - you're quite welcome! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bom13: Just to clarify, if you're trying to change the name on your mom's account, that can only be done by being logged into that account itself; a user's account name can only be changed by that user. I'm sorry if my earlier comments were confusing!

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Brenty...well I'm assuming that if I could show you the screen shots above, where I can change the master password, and/or generate a new key, then by default that would mean I'm logged into the account.....right?? Or is there some other process that I don't understand which defines being "logged in"?
    Thanks
    Brian

• @bom13

Brenty was just verifying that you're logged into Mom's account, not your account. The point being that you can only change details for the account you're logged into, and not a different account.

Ben

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Hey Ben...Okay....understood and thanks for the clarification. Yes I was logged directly into the account. That's why I couldn't understand why I could not find a way to change the profile name, whilst I could easily see how to do everything else including changing the email, generating a new master PW, or key...etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bom13: Yeah, sorry. It's pretty confusing on all sides. I wonder if you're actually encountering an issue I just identified with someone else. Is the account you're trying to change the name for an individual membership that used to be 1Password Families by any chance?

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

Bingo!...it is indeed Brenty. Could that be the issue?

• bom13
    bom13
    Community Member

For clarification, this is a 1Password Families account I opened about a year ago for my parents. When I updated their machine I was alarmed to see that all of their online accounts they were using had the same password! Being a long-time 1PW user (mac stand-alone vers.) I signed them up and moved all their accounts & data into a 1Password Families account, which I setup & administer for them. My dad just passed away, so I wanted to remove his name and change it to my mom's, so she would not constantly see it every time she opened the vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@bom13: Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. :( That's it then. I'll shoot you an email shortly to help you get it sorted.

ref: UNU-94845-739

This discussion has been closed.