Is it possible to auto-fill password in App Store?

joegnis
joegnis
Community Member

Hi,
I have 5+ Apple IDs. When switching accounts in App Store, it is nice that I can pull up 1Password to auto-fill, but I always need to manually search for the entry.

It looks like that it is not enough to have "appleid.apple.com" URL in my Apple ID entries to properly make 1Password detect App Store application. I also tried URL scheme "itms-apps://itunes.apple.com" but does not work either.

Thus, my question is that is it possible to auto-fill password in App Store?

1Password Version: 7.25
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have 5+ Apple IDs.

@joegnis: :scream:

I have to ask, how long have you been doing this? And how much of a hassle is it on a day-to-day basis? It doesn't seem to be common, so I'd also be curious to know the use case -- but it's none of my business and not relevant to the discussion, so please feel free to ignore the questions! :)

When switching accounts in App Store, it is nice that I can pull up 1Password to auto-fill, but I always need to manually search for the entry. It looks like that it is not enough to have "appleid.apple.com" URL in my Apple ID entries to properly make 1Password detect App Store application. I also tried URL scheme "itms-apps://itunes.apple.com" but does not work either. Thus, my question is that is it possible to auto-fill password in App Store?

That's really interesting. I wouldn't have even thought to try it there at all, as I believe for a long time Apple didn't even allow pasting there. It isn't possible from a 1Password perspective. 1Password does not handle anything with iOS 12 Password Autofill functionality; it only registers itself as a provider of login credentials. Apple would need to set "apple.com" or similar as the associated domain for the App Store app itself in order for them to be matched. Then it would work the way you'd like it to. Maybe there's a reason they don't want to do that.. It's worth bringing up, I'd say! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty,

I have 5, maybe more, AppleIDs as well, only that I decided to stick to one now. Initially it was one for iTunes/App Store, one for AppleID, one for iCloud. I create one for foreign iTunes/App Store but discovered I needed a country's e.g. USA credit card with I lack. One or more spare AppleID. Too much hassle.

The App Store is region specific so not all apps are available everywhere.

• joegnis
    joegnis
    Community Member

I have to ask, how long have you been doing this? And how much of a hassle is it on a day-to-day basis?

Some apps can only be downloaded using an account of another country, so once a while, I have to enter the password of those accounts to upgrade apps/install new ones. It is not that frequent so it's okay to type "apple" in the search field every time, which is million times better than opening the app, searching, copying, switching back, and pasting back. I appreciate this progress.

Maybe there's a reason they don't want to do that.

I thought iOS is like Android where every app always has a URl associated with it. If it's the case that Apple doesn't provide a domain for App Store, then well, I can only say hope they can provide this option in the future. Probably they don't want users to store Apple ID credentials in Keychain and forget about it.

Thank you for the reply.

• I thought iOS is like Android where every app always has a URl associated with it. If it's the case that Apple doesn't provide a domain for App Store, then well, I can only say hope they can provide this option in the future.

Every app does have this option, but it is not mandatory. I'm not sure when the option became available, but it seems it has only recently become more commonly used. A number of apps I have that have not been updated recently do not have it.

Some apps can only be downloaded using an account of another country, so once a while, I have to enter the password of those accounts to upgrade apps/install new ones. It is not that frequent so it's okay to type "apple" in the search field every time, which is million times better than opening the app, searching, copying, switching back, and pasting back. I appreciate this progress.

Thanks for sharing. That's an interesting use case that I hadn't considered. Managing multiple Apple IDs very quickly reached the pain-in-the-rear threshhold for me, so I consolidated on one. I suppose that isn't possible if you have a need to access different countries App Stores.

Ben

• jefflen
    jefflen
    Community Member

I am doing the same practice as the original post that switching the Apple ID accounts from my phone quite often. And faced the same issue that every time I like to use auto-fill I have to manually search on the search bar.

I would be nice to know which URI I can set to those Apple ID entries to resolve this issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jefflen:

I think that the AutoFill extension shows you the app ID if the developers set on, right above the iOS keyboard. If nothing shows up there, I think that the app does not have an ID associated with it.

• jefflen
    jefflen
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@ag_ana The apps are actually built in apps like Settings app, AppStore app and iTunes app, which I used to login with my Apple ID. There's an auto-fill password button on top of the keyboard and tap on it shows 1Password popover, but it's not pre-searching the Apple ID entries so I have to search on the search bar manually.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jefflen:

Exactly, if that's the case you will have to search your login information manually I am afraid.

This discussion has been closed.