Failed to rename existing app folder ...

Hi, I am having problems with 7.2.581 on Windows 10. If I try to update content I see the following.

Content does seem to be getting updated correctly which is good.

I have tried updating to the latest release but am seeing exactly the same problem when the update trys to install.

My next step was going to be uninstalling the 1password client but thought it best to get advice first.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 (1803)
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• @Daveyard sorry about that trouble, sometimes 1Password app files can be locked by anti-virus, system or browser; and that's when you see such message. You can uninstall 1Password and install it again, this will not affect your data. Alternatively you can try closing browsers (and perhaps deactivating Microsoft Edge extension if you use one) prior to update.

• daveyard
    daveyard
    Community Member

Thanks Sergey. Great to get a reply on a Sunday!

I don't use the Edge extension and I feel I have tried everything else so will go for a reinstall.

As an aside, I started using 1Password X today (Chrome). I didn't realise it existed. Anyway it does nearly everything I want except integrate with Windows Hello. As I need to access 1Password several times a day, entering the password is a pain and Windows Hello with a fingerprint reader is a real time saver. Any chance that you could provide this integration or is the point of X that it is cross-platform?

Thanks.

• 1Password X is limited to what hosting browser can give it. Windows Hello is available to the desktop app. We are looking into secure ways to make them work together nicely.

If you want to identify which process is locking files, you could use Process Explorer, Ctrl+F inside it, paste path to 1Password folder and see what is holding it. For me it is Windows Telemetry sometimes, for others this could have been AV or a browser. Let us know how it goes.

• shertz
    shertz
    Community Member

sometimes 1Password app files can be locked by anti-virus, system or browser; and that's when you see such message. You can uninstall 1Password and install it again, this will not affect your data.
    Sounds strange to me. Some files are locked so replacing (update) is not possible, but removing (unisntall) is? I'm pretty sure that this does not make much sense, so p l e a s e fix your installer, this is very annoying...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Hi @shertz,

Sorry for the inconvenience that you have with the update process.

We are indeed making changes and improvements to our installer. However, if you bumped into these issues now, the workaround described above is really helpful.

Let me know if you have other questions, we are ready to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.