I purchased a standalone license years ago...

AndrewSD
AndrewSD
Community Member

Now the new chrome extension doesn't fill because i don't have the cloud version and it keeps asking me to buy. I have the attachments for the license key in my 1password but cant seem to get it open and I haven't got an email back yet from support. Do i have to move to the cloud version or once I have my license key in the desktop client will my extension work correctly? Do people who purchased the license originally get any kind of incentive or discount to move over?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi AndrewSD,

You do not have to move to the cloud version to use 1Password 7. Though version 7 is a paid upgrade from version 6, so you may have to purchase the upgrade. If you "purchased a standalone license years ago" I'm guessing you will need to upgrade.

But, back to your problem with the chrome extension requiring the cloud version. Make sure you install the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension from here:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

It sounds like you have installed the "1Password X - Password Manager" extension. That extension only works with the cloud subscription of 1Password and it does not require a desktop app to be installed.

• iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member

Somehow in the process of installing the browser extension, I approved DLing 1Password 7, even though I have a standalone license. I was not asked to pay to get 1Password 7, and now all my PWs were suddenly read only. So I deleted 1Password 7 and now I have no access to PWs on my Mac. I feel like AgileBits is trying to trick me into buying a subscription, and I object strongly to that.

• iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member

In my case, I was trying to install the Safari browser extension.

• iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member

And this is actually the second time I ended up in a bind because of AgileBits attempts to funnel existing (long-term and loyal) users into an unwanted subscription model.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@iPhone2007

I deleted 1Password 7 and now I have no access to PWs on my Mac.

The installation of 1PW7 should have kept a zipped version of 1PW6 in the Applications folder. Just unzip it and you are back with a working 1PW6.

If that fails (which is definitely should not) you can download 1PW6 again, but the method depends on whether you got it from the App Store or direct from AgileBits.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iPhone2007 - I'm sorry for the trouble! Considering that we're still selling standalone licenses, I'm not sure how that translates into "funneling existing users into an unwanted subscription model." We do ask users, old and new, to pay for the software they're using, which seems fair. Can you tell us a bit more about what specific steps you've taken so far and where things started to go wrong? Was your previous copy of 1Password from the Mac App Store, or downloaded directly from us? And where were you trying to download/install the new one from? You mention you were trying to install Safari's browser extension. What steps did you take to try to do that?

@danco is correct that if you download and install 1Password 7 for Mac, the process should zip up the previous version because it's not recommended to have multiple versions of 1Password installed and conflicting with one another on the same Mac. Can you tell us:

1. The specific version(s) of 1Password you have installed (you can use a ⌘I (get info) command on any you find, to determine version number
    2. The specific version(s) of browser extension you have installed (and/or tried to download)
    3. What specific steps you took
    4. Anything else you think might help us identify the problem.

Thanks! :)

• iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I believe I bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, but I'm not sure. I found and unzipped the zipped copy, ran it,
    but it can't locate 1Password Mini. I DLed and ran the diagnostic and mailed the log to your support. Are you only selling standalone licenses on your web site? I can't find anything but 1Password 7 on the app store.

The zipped copy is version 6.8.9, which is, I assume the last standalone version. If you need my iCloud/App Store info, I'll be happy to provide it. I bought 1Password for my iPhone as well. That one still works. Don't worry about the Safari extension — I just want to solve the problem of being totally locked out of 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iPhone2007 - you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant, which will contain a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down your email and "connect the dots." Once I get your email, we can continue the conversation that way. Thanks!

• iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member

Thanks. No support ID number yet…

• @iPhone2007

Your support ID is UTR-85386-237, but the fact that you did not receive the email that BitBot sent is concerning. I've just sent you a reply to your email. Please let me know if you've received it or not. If not, you may need to check your spam folder / settings to see why you are not receiving emails from us.

Ben

• iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member

Hi Ben- I did receive it and I did respond to it. There doesn't seem to be anything in my spam folder- not sure what happened. Let me know what's next. thanks!

• Perfect. Let's continue the conversation by email. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.