1PasswordX Extension & Websockets

Options

We have a user running RedHat, using Chrome 71.0.35878.98. He is unable to log into the extension, he just gets a spinning wheel, but never logged in. The console logs look like it's bombing out on a websocket connection - but we block websocket by default for everyone, and he is the only individual having the issue? He might be one of the first to use Red Hat as an OS - most of our users are Windows ones.

Any ideas? Telling him to use Chrome on windows isn't an option :)

thanks!
Laura

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Linux Red Hat
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:extension

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @lpenhallow,

It may very well be I need to get a developer involved but just before we do could you elaborate a little by what you mean when you say you've blocked WebSockets by default. Surely any application that requires network access, including Chrome would need to be whitelisted? It's entirely possible I'm missing or misunderstanding something, I'll be more than happy to hold my hands up to that :smile:

• lpenhallow
    lpenhallow
    Community Member
    Options

We've blocked websockets at the firewall to unknown destinations by default as they establish a tunnel that can lead to exfil of data to untrusted destinations. That's our business decision based on risk, and no, the entirety of Chrome does not depend on websocket to function, we've only had to whitelist a few sources.
    That said -I have lots of people in my enterprise successfully using the extension - just this one user who is unable to use it. He's in my office so we're using the same ISP & external egress point. The only difference is that he's running his extension on Red Hat and I'm using Windows, but we're both using the same Chrome version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I dunno about all of that. All browsers I'm aware of use a sockets connection. ;)

But anyway, with regard to 1Password, the desktop apps used to use sockets connections to communicate with the browser locally, but haven't for a while now -- and since you don't seem to be using 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows that would not apply in your case anyway.

And if you're using 1Password X -- as the version number you listed indicates -- that runs entirely in the browser, so it doesn't need a connection to anything inside your machine. However, it does need to be able to connect to 1password.com. Do you you maybe need to make an exception for that? :)

This discussion has been closed.