Help! Accidentally deleted all my items.

Options
msabramo
msabramo
Community Member

I was reconfiguring sync (Dropbox) and to do this I turned sync off and on so that I can pick a new location for the agilekeychain. When I did this, I got a warning saying that it would merge the existing data with the data from Dropbox. I worried that this might cause a bunch of duplicates or make me end up with old passwords for some of my items (since Dropbox had newer data than this Mac). So I came up with the not so bright idea of turning off sync, deleting all items locally, and then turning sync back on. I thought this would sync all the data from Dropbox to Mac, but instead it synced the deletion of hundreds of items up to Dropbox!

Now I have my work computer, which is where I made my most recent changes yesterday and have not turned it on today, so it should have all the data on it’s hard drive, but when I turn it on, it will do a sync and everything will be deleted. I can turn off my home WiFi so that doesn’t happen, but then what do I do to get 1Password to synchronize those items up to Dropbox?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @msabramo! I'm sorry for the trouble. Such are the vagaries of advanced sync via a 3rd party service, unfortunately. However, the good news is that 1Password makes consistent backups of your local data, for just such problems. If you still have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data on your work computer, 1Password will have made a backup that you can see by clicking (assuming work computer is a Mac) Preferences > Backups > Show Files. The most-recent backup should have your data there.

Here's what I'd recommend. On EVERY device on which you have 1Password synced, turn sync OFF. You're still using the older-style Agile Keychain format, which has been deprecated for some time now, and has been forcibly retired in the new 1Password 7. It sounds as if you're not using the newer version 7 yet or else you'd have run into this issue already, but regardless, you should definitely take this opportunity to upgrade your sync keychain to the newer format. It's (past) time: Agile Keychain was wonderful when it was introduced, but that day was (I can barely believe it myself) more than ten years ago now, and its successor, OPVault, has been around for five years already. Here are instructions on how to switch (it's quite easy).

In your case, make sure 1Password's sync is turned off on your other devices on the "work" Mac, make sure you've restored the up-to-date version of your data (assuming it's necessary) from Backups, and then perform the conversion to OPVault and re-enable the sync on the work Mac. Give everything a few minutes to sync fully to the Dropbox servers.

On your other Mac (where the trouble began), with 1Password open but NOT unlocked, just choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will do what it says, and the next time you launch 1Password on that Mac, it will be as if you're a brand-new user. Choose the option to use Dropbox as your data/sync source, and select the OPVault. That should get you back in sync everywhere, with the correct data. Let me know how that goes for you! :)

• msabramo
    msabramo
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I turned on my work computer and turned off wi-fi immediately, but all the items went away.

That said, there was a 1Password backup with all of the items, so I restored to that.

Problem is when I turn on Dropbox sync, they all get deleted again. How do I make these items permanent? I had the idea of copying them to the clipboard and then pasting after they get deleted, but it seems that 1Password won't let me copy and paste items.

• msabramo
    msabramo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars!

I'm running into some trouble following your instructions, because after restoring my data from the backup, it automatically turns off sync. Thus, I cannot follow the step of turning sync off manually and choosing the “Delete data from Dropbox” option. When I try to turn on Dropbox sync again, it prompts me for a location:

Any recommendations how to proceed?

• msabramo
    msabramo
    Community Member
    Options
    $ sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    SQLite version 3.19.3 2017-06-27 16:48:08
    Enter ".help" for usage hints.
    sqlite> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM items;
    sqlite> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM sync_sources;

• msabramo
    msabramo
    Community Member
    Options

Nevermind. Apparently if I just select an empty directory in Dropbox, then it accepts that and offers to create an opvault:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@msabramo - yup, that's correct. However, is the above screenshot from the "work" Mac, or your other Mac?

• msabramo
    msabramo
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, that was from my "work" Mac, after restoring from the backup.

I am happy to report that what Lars suggested working fantastically and I have my data back! :smile:

Thank you so much, Lars!

And now I may take a look at 1Password 7. I had never looked closely at it, because when it came out, my work Mac was stuck on Yosemite. Now that both of my Macs are on High Sierra, it might be time to give it another look.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@msabramo - excellent! I'm glad to hear that got you back up and running. Let us know if you have any further questions, about 1Password 7 for Mac or anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.