full time machine restore failed due to receipt folder of 1password 6 from Mac App Store

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Recently my Macbook hard-disk has been wiped clean as a part of service by Apple. To get back to where it was, I tried to do a full restore from a Time Machine backup. Unfortunately, the restore failed with a message: "An error occurred while restoring from the backup"

During my research to overcome this issue, I found this helpful blog describing the exact problem. I tried to follow a suggested solution in the article and it worked!

The critical failure that ruined the restore process was caused by a folder that seemingly containing a receipt of 1password from Mac App Store. It's located in "[user's home folder]/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App Store Receipts/receipt"

I do understand that 1password 6 might not officially support Mojave yet this folder corruption is a bomb. Whenever, I tries to do a full restore from Time Machine, it's going to fail. I would greatly appreciate if the Agilebits team could help resolve this issue and make sure that a Time Machine restore won't fail due to this receipt folder anymore.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:time machine critical failure

Comments

• Hi @wattachai

Thanks for the report. We'll keep our eyes out for this, and I'll see if there is anything our development team can do to help the situation. Unfortunately we're not in a position to update 1Password 6 any further, and I believe that folder is managed by the App Store itself directly, but we'll see.

Thanks!

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @Ben

I eagerly waiting to hear updates from you. This issue is pretty serious. I won’t be able to do a full restore if my Mac fails while I don’t have access to another Mac.

• @wattachai

Can you delete the folder in question from the Time Machine backup?

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Ben that's how I did full restore of my Mac. Speaking of which, Time Machine provides an option to exclude paths from backup. This might help but it's still a workaround.

• Understood. That seems like a reasonable workaround for this. So far this is the only report I've heard of this issue with regard to 1Password, so I'm not sure it would be fair to conclude that there is a widespread problem. We will keep an eye out though. It is unlikely that modern versions of 1Password would be affected as it is no longer possible to purchase a standalone license for 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Ben Thanks again for your prompt response. I really hope this works.

• :+1:

Ben

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member

This happened to me too. That link got me to delete the Mac App Store receipt file that the SIP sandboxd was preventing.

I was able to:
    1. Mount the Time Machine Sparsebundle
    2. Use a weird command to circumvent the permissions on the backup and delete the two receipt files causing problems
    3. Finally restore successfully

install.log:

2018-12-15 20:04:33+00 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: [RESTORE] critical failure (error: -5000 isSourceError: 0) copying '/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro (2)/2018-12-12-075648/Macintosh HD/Users/jen/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App Store Receipts/receipt' to '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/jen/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App Store Receipts/receipt'
    2018-12-15 20:04:33+00 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: [RESTORE] Failed to remove xattr 'com.apple.backupd.PreviousSnapshotVolumeUUID' from target volume path: '/Volumes/Macintosh HD', error: Attribute not found
    2018-12-15 20:04:33+00 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: [RESTORE] Failed to remove xattr 'com.apple.backupd.PreviousSnapshotVolumeName' from target volume path: '/Volumes/Macintosh HD', error: Attribute not found
    2018-12-15 20:04:33+00 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: [RESTORE] Restore failed with status -5000

system.log:

Dec 15 20:04:33 MacBook-Pro sandboxd[196]: [violation] Sandbox: Time Machine Sys(559) System Policy: deny(1) forbidden-link-priv<file-map-executable> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/_MASReceipt/receipt /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/jen/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App St
    ore Receipts/receipt

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure why it would be specific to Mojave, but I don't recall seeing issues like this in previous years -- even with 1Password 6, or earlier versions from the App Store. It reminds me of another thing I've seen this year: permissions issues after restoring from Time Machine or using Migration Assistant (where files are still owned by the former Mac user account, not the current one). Weird.

• StuC
    StuC
    Community Member

Hi guys - I am having this across my range of Macs - BUT ON 1PASSWORD 7

I'm having to restore to an erased MBP and my backups from three other MBPs don't work. All are on Mac OS 10.14.2.

I also have an iMac which is still on 10.14 and backups from this beast seem to restore OK.

This seems to be an issue with 1Password and some security changes in 10.14.1 or 10.14.2.

• StuC
    StuC
    Community Member

I have one Mac from which the Time Machines seem to work and I can restore these. This Mac is on 10.14 straight, i.e. not 10.14.1 or 10.14.2, but I believe also has 1Password installed from a download, not from the App Store. May be a factor?

• StuC
    StuC
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I have successfully the Terminal sudo fix to my failing Time Machine as detailed here and got my Mac restored. There were two files I needed to fix (remove from the Time Machine image), these being the 1Password receipt files for my wife's profile and the equivalent file on my profile.

Sorry guys, I hate to say it, but this looks like an issue very much local to 1Password.

To confirm, I am on latest 1Password 7 and running Mojave 10.14.2. The Mac I was restoring was a whole new build from the ground up two days ago, building, taking occasional Time Machine updates and then attempting restore. It started failing as soon as 1Password went on and a restore from a T/M image prior to 1Password was fine. I have now amended my latest T/M image to remove the 'receipt' folder and that is working. My next step is to change my Time Machine settings to 'exclude' these folders from the backup, take an updated backup and try to restore that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@StuC: You would not have an App Store receipt for 1Password without purchasing it there. It isn't a 1Password issue though. 1Password does not have the ability to break or fix anything with the App Store. App Store receipts are created and managed solely by the App Store. The article you linked seems to support that, since 1Password is not at all involved and it's a different App Store receipt there. I'm glad to hear that helped you though -- and grateful that you shared it here in case others have a similar issue restoring from Time Machine. :)

• StuC
    StuC
    Community Member

@Brenty Sorry if I have misread your reply but you seem to be saying "not our issue". Sorry, but I think between Apple and Agilebits, you need to work this through. I have lost DAYS working this issue through and it's clearly linked with, even if it's not caused by, 1Password so I thought you'd want to take it forward.

If I take this to Apple, they will (rightly) say something like "seems to work OK for everything else in our App Store" and point the finger at 1Password. I suspect I may be far too small a cog for their machine.

The path I have excluded from Time Machine backups to work around this problem is: /Users/[userprofile]/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/App Store Receipts

And I have to exclude this folder for ALL users on the Mac.

It seems to be some access privileges in Mojave 10.14.2 and that folder. But only if you have downloaded 1Password from the App Store. I believe if you downloaded from the Agilebits website and installed (as I did on my son's Mac), it is not affected as it does not create that folder.

Can I ask Agilebits work with Apple to see why Apple are creating a folder from App Store purchases that cannot be backed up and restored using Time Machine?

• I believe if you downloaded from the Agilebits website and installed (as I did on my son's Mac), it is not affected as it does not create that folder.

That is correct. An App Store receipt will only exist if you've installed from the App Store.

Can I ask Agilebits work with Apple to see why Apple are creating a folder from App Store purchases that cannot be backed up and restored using Time Machine?

I have made that request to our development team. I can't make any promises, but I've done what I'm able to do. :) Unfortunately I doubt that there is anything that can be done retroactively, and as 1Password 6 is no longer sold it isn't going to be an issue going forward.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@StuC: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry if I phrased things poorly. I appreciate your feedback. After discussing this further, I do think it's part of a larger trend we've been seeing since Mojave launched, where it seems less tolerant of permissions issues (seems to happen a lot with not only Time Machine restores, but also Migration Assistant). I think that's probably a good thing from a security perspective, but it certainly can cause trouble for users. We'll continue to investigate.

• StuC
    StuC
    Community Member

@ben as I said above, I am using 1Password 7, not 6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Thanks for clarifying. :)

ref: apple-3062

• SynthInst
    SynthInst
    Community Member

I also have had the exact same issue. Time Machine failure to restore because of the App Store receipt. Luckily I was able to determine that this single file was the culprit before I lost data. I'm a new user of this service & have only used 1Password 7 on MacOS Mojave. The receipt from Apple is causing the problem but I believe is Agile Bits responsibility to take up the issue. I worked for Apple Care support in the past & think this will go unresolved because the process of determining the cause is VERY time consuming. Most users of this app won't know what the problem is and loose data. Pointing fingers at one company or another doesn't help. Your customers are affected by this problem & only communication will get this fixed. Yes, we may have our passwords but without data they are useless.

• @SynthInst

We are looking at how we may, hopefully, be able to address this ourselves. It seems we are not the only app affected by this, so hopefully a broader fix will be made, but as you say... we can't necessarily count on that. I can't make any promises at this point but we are definitely looking into the situation from our end, and your points are well taken.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: apple-3062

• FlorianXYZ
    FlorianXYZ
    Community Member

For what it's worth.. I'm having the same issue with restoring from a backup.
    In my case it's also a file '.....com.agilebits/App Store Receipts/receipt' that is causing the restore to fail.

I will now attempt SynthInst's suggested fix.

• FlorianXYZ
    FlorianXYZ
    Community Member

I'm not able to delete the file because of a permission error.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250162164

• I'm sorry to hear you've been affected by this as well @FlorianXYZ. I'm not familiar with all of the intricacies of Time Machine, but I noticed you mentioned:

I attached the drive to my MacBook in order to delete the file.

I'd suggest trying from the iMac instead. You can get a Terminal on the iMac by rebooting it in recovery mode. Instructions on doing so can be found on OSXDaily's website (3rd party, not affiliated with 1Password / AgileBits), here:

How to Access Terminal via Recovery Mode for Mac

Ben

• FlorianXYZ
    FlorianXYZ
    Community Member

Hello Ben!
    Thank you for the hint!
    Accessing the backup and deleting it from the **Recover Mode's Terminal **worked!

I will now attempt to recover again and will let you know how that went.

• Excellent. Please keep us in the loop. :)

Ben

• FlorianXYZ
    FlorianXYZ
    Community Member

The recovery was successful!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@FlorianXYZ - awesome! Glad to hear Ben's suggestion helped you out. :)

• marcj
    marcj
    Community Member

I encountered the same problem today, quite frustrating! Is there any update on this? I'm in the process of making a new backup without that directory, erasing and restoring again

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marcj - nothing new to report since last week, no. It looks as if our dev team has been working on it, but I don't have anything to share with you at the moment, other than the workaround that's already been discussed above.

• quizchan
    quizchan
    Community Member

I've run into the same issue. I needed to restore computer and it failed.

I have 1Password 7 installed from the App Store. Is it correct that all users having installed 1Password 7 through the App Store now have their Time Machine restores broken?

I understand that the root cause might be an App Store issue, but if you can address this on your side you really should. It's been more than a month since your last update. Could you give us more information on status and a fix?

It would also be great your root cause analysis. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.