I cannot login to 1Password 7 on my Mac with my 1Password.com Master Password

Options
corey_balko
corey_balko
Community Member

I cannot login to 1Password 7 on my Mac with my 1Password.com Master Password even though it works even though it works on 1password.com. I am so frustrated and about to give up. What is wrong? I have already reinstalled, reset data, rebooted and nothing works.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @corey_balko! Do you have any vaults in 1Password 7 on your Mac that aren't syncing with your 1Password.com account? If so, the Master Password to unlock the app might be one of theirs' (it's worth trying any Master Passwords you used to use on old vaults).

You can also try typing your password in another app, like a text editor, so you can see that you’ve entered it correctly. Then copy and paste it into the 1Password app and into 1Password.com and see if both will unlock doing that.

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@corey_balko: Just to make sure we're on the same page, that's asking for the Master Password to a 1Password .com account. If you've used a local vault in the past (or are currently) and set a different Master Password for that, it will not work for your account.

Also keep in mind that if you have multiple 1Password.com accounts or made changes to your account that could change your credentials -- like the sign in address. Try "sign in with a different account" and then enter all of your current credentials.

I'd also encourage you to try any Master Password that you might have used. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.  

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member
    Options

I got it to work. I had to save the my emergency kit from 1password.com. Then I reset all 1password data and had to use the setup code to get it to work. You all need to fix 1Password 7 so that it does not just accept a master password the first time because it also needs the secret key to work. It is very broken, but I was able to figure it out finally.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

The Secret Key will not be required on a device where you've authorized the app/browser already, as it's stored there; only the Master Password will need to be entered. The Secret Key also isn't meant to be remembered, so I'm not sure this is something that needs to be "fixed". I'm sorry for the confusion that caused you though. I'm glad that you were able to get your account credentials and setup the app with them, and saved your Emergency Kit in case you ever need it.

ref: CQJ-14284-363

• stormyghost
    stormyghost
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I have this same problem. I KNOW I copied the secret key correctly (copy/paste), I know my master account # is correct and yet I cannot log in. So far, the experience going from 6 to 7 on my Apple devices is very disappointing and time consuming.
    And the default "smiley face" does not represent how I am feeling. Please a response, a human, something to get this working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stormyghost: Based on the rest of your messages I've just read, it doesn't sound like that's the case at all. And unfortunately you're making it more time consuming for you and for others by posting all over the place. I'll close this old discussion since it isn't relevant at this point. Please respond to my email when you get the chance so we're not missing each other.

ref: UXM-17153-273

This discussion has been closed.