Previous Password Retention on 1Password.com Business Accounts

wavesound
wavesound
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Business and Teams

Using 1Password for Business, I read the items archived changes are purged after one year on the Support websute. https://support.1password.com/item-history/#restore-items

Traditionally, in 1Password local vaults, password changes are stored as a part of the item, meaning that they were kept indefinitely. Are old passwords recalled via "View Password History" purged after on year or are they kept as long as the item exists in 1Password and is actively stored on 1Password.com.

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wavesound: Neither nor. :) Password generator history is an entirely separate thing from the "previously used passwords" section in specific Login items. Password generator history give you a safety net to go to when you have not saved a new password in a Login. Once you save a new password in a Login, you no longer need that safety net, as it's not part of that Login, along with any "previously used passwords" there; and if you change the password again, that one will also be "retired" to "previously used passwords" at that point with the rest. So long as you do not delete that Login item, you will not lose any of that information. And even if you do delete it, it will remain in the Trash indefinitely, until you remove it from that...at which point it will be an archived item adhering to the retention policy of the membership type you're using. Whew.

Put another way, "previously used passwords" is a log of password changes in a specific Login item; "password generator history" is a log of any generated password you use. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.