Auto-Updated to 7.3.654 Items Disappeared

Hello,

After having restarted my Windows 10 computer, logged back in, 1Password auto-updated to 7.3.654. Upon entering my master password, all my items were in the trash. There was nothing in the All Items section. I selected all the items and restored them back.

I then noticed the items were either super old, had a password that was really old, and none of the newest items were there. It would be safe to say the items all did belong in the trash because they were from such a long time ago and anything current from before the update was gone.

I used 1Password for families and was still logged into my account on the client.

I checked online through my 1password.com account and everything was all there.

I logged out of the client and logged back in again. This time all my items were there along with all the items I had restored right after the 1Password update to 7.3.654. So I have a mixture of current items with super old items that were supposed to be in the trash. I don't remember having ever emptied the trash in the 4.5 years using this particular account and respective vaults.

I was really scared everything was gone, but found everything on the online portal.

What may have happened in this situation?

1Password Version: 7.3.654
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 14393.2641
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member

I see what had happened now.

A while back I had been saving all my items to the Personal vault. I changed my mind and 'moved' everything to a Shared vault. 1Password, of course, does a copy and automatically moves the items to the Trash section of the Vault where it was 'moved' from. I then changed the default vault to that Shared vault to save new items to.

After the update, 1Password made my Personal vault as the first thing to view. It looked like everything was trashed and super old, but in actuality, everything was in the Shared Vault. Once I selected the All Vaults view, I can see all the items along with all the old stuff I that I restored. I just forgot I had my Shared Vault with all my new stuff.

So....I answered my own question....

I guess people who only use a shared vault will not see their items after having the update pushed to them. They'll have to notice the vault they are viewing so they don't freak out like I did.

Joe

• Hi @JOeMTC,

Thanks for reporting this.

We do apologize this happened to you, it is not related to the new version as we've seen a few scattered reports of this over the past year but we were never able to reproduce this and there were no reasons for this.

The only thing we could think of is that during the update, the database had an old account information that it didn't clean up and it switched to this old account. Did you ever change your account data, like change your email address, changed the 1Password account type (Individuals to Families), or anything like that?

Just to be clear, 1Password on this same PC had everything looking good yesterday or before this update and now, 1Password suddenly shows up differently?

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member

I can also confirm the settings in the client reverted back to show all vaults (Personal, Shared, and one manually created vault) and changed the settings to save new items in my Personal vault.

Did all the settings revert back to factory default after the update? That had never happened before in other updates.

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @JOeMTC,

If it fails to migrate your current settings due to an error, it will reset to the factory defaults, yes and this is definitely due to 7.3 update because we've changed how we store your settings by storing it inside the database instead of using an external settings file now.

Do you use any anti-malware solution that's not Windows Defender?

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

That makes sense.

I only use Windows Defender.

So now that settings are in with the database, is that also saved on AWS with all the items and encrypted as well?
    If so, if I install the client on another Windows computer and login with the same 1password family account, will the settings automatically sync to the new client I just installed?

I didn't see your first response:

I did change the login email once before and the master password way back when on the same day, but it was always with the same families account.

Yes, 1Password was fine yesterday and this morning, then I saw the little notification saying it was updated to a new version right after a computer restart. I logged in and the new version was there but with the settings changed.

Joe

• Hi @JOeMTC,

So now that settings are in with the database, is that also saved on AWS with all the items and encrypted as well?

It's not stored in your 1Password account or in the cloud, it is only stored in the internal 1Password database on your drive and does not leave your device. We do not sync your 1Password settings and anything else we do sync, they're always encrypted at rest.

If so, if I install the client on another Windows computer and login with the same 1password family account, will the settings automatically sync to the new client I just installed?

No, I do apologize if I wasn't clear. You still have to reconfigure the settings on each install.

I did change the login email once before and the master password way back when on the same day, but it was always with the same families account.

Hmm, that's not likely the issue. I was thinking if you were looking at an old account where you moved items from one account to another account. When you move items, the original vault will have a copy stored in the trash; thus moving all items from one to another vault would have the original account with all items in Trash.

• JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member

Thank you @MikeT I appreciated your through reply.
    I always look forward to 1Password's updates and upgrades. It has actually made my decision to use iOS versus Android way back when Android 1Password was still in Beta.

Thank you again for a wonderful product and equally awesome customer service.

You can close this case.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@JOeMTC: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! :chuffed:

Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.