have old iPhone app. can't get it to transfer to new phone. need step by step help please

causman
causman
Community Member

I have an old 1Password app on my iPhone. I don't have a secret key. I'm assuming it is a stand alone. I have a new phone and want to add it to my new iPhone but can't figure out how to get it to move over. I also have a second account that I need to delete because it requires a monthly charge and I want to use the old account. Can you please send me step by step instructions? What additional info do you need? I has been backed up on iCloud but I have no idea how to make the transfer. Also need to download it to my MacBook. I purchased the pro features.

1Password Version: ?
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:iPhone app. need step by step to transfer to new phone.

Comments

• Hi @causman

Without a 1Password membership 1Password is sold by the version (e.x. 1Password for Mac is purchased separately from 1Password for iOS, and 1Password v7 would be a separate purchase from previous versions). Membership gives to access to all of the latest versions of 1Password. You can read more about that here:

About 1Password membership

But to get started on getting you from point A to point B... could you please let me know which of these you have on your iOS device?

Ben

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member

Same problem with me. I bought a license for my Mac and one for iOS. Now I want to freshly setup my new iPad Pro. But when I download 1PW from the AppStore-Cloud it wants me to sign in or I have to sign for a membership. But all I want is to use my old version. Who can help?
    P.s.: I want a clean, fresh new setup, not the backup via iTunes with all the garbage I don’t need anymore.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AOlbertz: Where do you have your 1Password data currently? To be clear, if the app you were using was something other than D, you can't use it on recent iOS releases. But I'll be happy to help you migrate your data to the new version, if possible.

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member

@brenty : Thanks. My data is on my MacBook Pro and I use wifi-sync. My Version ist D ... and as old and new iPad both use the same iOs, I'm pretty shure, it's not a version problem. Under "1Password bewerten" it says version 7.2.5 ... Does that help you?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AOlbertz: Thanks for letting me know. Unless your Mac has an outdated version, you should be able to easily sync the data to your iPhone. Have you tried setting it up to sync?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member

@brenty I don't get that far! Right after starting the app it wants me to sign in, but I don't know what for.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AOlbertz: You'll only get a "sign in" screen for a 1Password.com membership if you've selected that option. It sounds like you don't have a membership subscription, and will have to use a different option to sync your local vault between devices.

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@brenty I guess syncing will not be the problem, worked fine untill yesterday. ... where/what shall I click ?

• @AOlbertz

Scroll down and select the WLAN Server option if that is how you'd like to sync. :)

Ben

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member

@Ben OMG, is it reale so simple? I didn‘t have the idea to scroll down. The problem sits once again in front of the screen.

But!! It doesn‘t work. I enter the code given by my mac and it says either „ ... couldn‘t be finished. Host is deaktivated“, or 1PW crashs in the moment I press the enter-button :-(

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

I didn‘t have the idea to scroll down.

For whatever reason it has become trendy to not display scroll bars until one tries to scroll. I suppose this gives a cleaner look, but it can create confusion about whether scrolling is possible / necessary or not. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is the way macOS and iOS have gone.

But!! It doesn‘t work. I enter the code given by my mac and it says either „ ... couldn‘t be finished. Host is deaktivated“, or 1PW crashs in the moment I press the enter-button :-(

Hmm. Do you see an option to create a new vault on the welcome screen (below the WLAN option)? If so please try selecting that, and then once you've established a new vault (use the same Master Password) please try setting up sync with the WLAN server.

For what it's worth, the WLAN server is considered the most technically challenging sync option we offer. It is not something we generally recommend, especially for someone who appreciates step-by-step help. It is very much the "DIY" option intended for "geeks" who do things like configure DNS servers for fun (I can say that because I consider myself one). The best and easiest option is 1Password membership:

About 1Password membership

Even us geeks are using it. ;)

I hope that helps.

Ben

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member

@Ben Yeah man! Thanks a lot. After creating a new vault the sync was done within seconds. Perfect.
    I‘m no geek :-) Just a simple user. I have two reasons not to sign for a membership:
    1.) I prefer to pay for something and own it. I don‘t like constant fees.
    2.) I thought this important data is safer on my own disk
    Have a nice weekend!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

Yeah man! Thanks a lot. After creating a new vault the sync was done within seconds. Perfect.

I'm glad to hear that worked. :)

1.) I prefer to pay for something and own it. I don‘t like constant fees.

To be fair, you don't "own" 1Password, even when you purchase a license. AgileBits still owns it. You're licensing the ability to use it, in accordance with the license agreement. This is true of almost all software. You really almost never have ownership of software unless you write the code yourself (and even then...). This may seem like splitting hairs, but the point is with licensing you're purchasing the ability to use a specific version of 1Password. Granted, you're able to use that version indefinitely, for as long as it works for you. That said I think we can all agree that the pace of technology is incredible, and software that is written today isn't likely to be compatible with operating systems and browsers of the future (perhaps even the near future). Membership gives you the ability to always be up to date with 1Password. Things are constantly in motion, and membership helps you keep up.

2.) I thought this important data is safer on my own disk

I"d recommend taking a look at our security guide:

About the 1Password security model

We're using end-to-end encryption, which means that any data anyone might be able to capture in transit (or storage) would be worthless to them without both your Master Password and your Secret Key. The Secret Key is a great protection even against us (i.e. an insider attack).

I know you said you're not a geek, and so the specific details of this may not be of interest to you, but I'd also suggest considering the fact that we publish a white paper on our security design. A secure system is one where someone can know exactly what your processes are and still not be able to gain any advantage over that system:

1Password Security Design White Paper

Something to think about. :)

Ben

• AOlbertz
    AOlbertz
    Community Member

@Ben When it comes to the point that iOS an 1PW are not compatible any more, I‘ll switch to the membership :-)

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.