Watchtower problem remains

Options

At first let me tell you that I really like the new 7.3 Update and its many improvements!

Only one thing about Watchtower really bugs me (because I can't see why this problem remains).
The entry for reused Passwords is useless like before because the entries from the "Logins" category get compared with the "Passwords" category and therefore every password is a reused password. I can only think that you want to compare against old passwords in the history of "Passwords" that get reused but the result of this is a useless category in Watchtower. Maybe let the user decide if he wishes to compare against "Passwords" or not until this is fixed?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10(64)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Roanoke,

Thank you for getting back to us! :+1:

It sounds like you have a lot of passwords (in a Passwords category) that you generated with the help of a password generator in 1Password extension.

The thing is that when you generate a password there, it is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. It works as a backup plan, if you happen not to save a Login item you generated a password for. It seems that you saved your Login items, so you see them in Reused passwords of Watchtower in the app.

However, if you saved all of your needed passwords as Logins, it is safe to delete the passwords in Passwords category.

In the future, 1Password for Windows will add an automatic cleanup function to remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item. We'll add an extra manual tool to let you clean up old password items that follows the same rule.

Please let me know if it clarifies the situation with Passwords category. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Roanoke
    Roanoke
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    I create every new password with the 1P generator and made new passwords with it for my existing logins.
    Good to know that I can delete the passwords when the login is saved. I will do that but I'm glad that there will be a more elegant solution in the future.

Thanks
    Matt

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Roanoke,

I create every new password with the 1P generator and made new passwords with it for my existing logins.

I am glad to hear that! :chuffed: Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.