Don't like the new Copy button

Hidden UI is never good. And a drop-down menu with three options in it is in no way easier to use than three separate buttons.

But the worst thing is that it moves around depending on the length of the line. So you have to consciously work out where to put the mouse before the button appears and you can click it.

How is this good design? What was wrong with the old buttons?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @opusman,

Thank you for getting in touch and sharing your thoughts! We really appreciate it.

We strive to make 1Password interface consistent across platforms. We've had such drop-down menu on macOS for years and we have no plans to change it back at the moment. Why? See this reply from Mike in a similar thread. Feel free to join the discussion there.

If you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• opusman
    opusman
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. Consistency across platforms seems like an unnecessary thing to strive for. How many people use both the Mac and Windows version?

Bad UI design is bad UI design. Hopefully you'll reconsider your plans.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @opusman,

Please see a detailed reply from Robbie here. Does pressing Ctrl + Alt to reveal passwords temporarily work for you? Again, do not hesitate to join the conversation in that thread. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@opusman I 100% agree with you. I am just here now to express same idea.
    On this tweet, Jakub wrote:

"More friendly UI? Now I have click twice if I want to reveal password, not to mention that the login detail simply looks ugly now as everything is too much cornered. Most feature (to show what we are typing in when unlocking 1Password) still not present..."

KeePass a free but great password manager, has the button to hide/show the password.

If the old UI, one click button to show password is not coming back, I am gone. Give users better UI and better options.
    No need to change something was working correctly and simply.

I agree with @opusman saying " Consistency across platforms seems like an unnecessary thing to strive for. "

I humbly suggest the UI design team read and apply this book:
    http://lawsofsimplicity.com/ by John Maeda.

Instead of removing one click button to reveal the password,I would I suggest you guys fixing the current bugs and problems in 1P 7 for Windows.
    On Windows app, on Item Viewer, when clicking on the URL, it adds extra characters to the URL like this. I have been told by support staff that they are working to fix it.

Support staff told me: "I can't say for certain when that fix will come regrettably, only that is it on the roadmap. I can let the Windows development team know of your interest in seeing that resolved. :)"

• @r1ma, I know we've gone on about the item details ad nauseum, so I'll do my best not to repeat myself and just note again that we hear you and this is by no means the end of the road for this redesign. I personally hope we'll keep the current layout in mind when doing this as I've been eternally grateful for it on my smaller screen, but we understand it's causing friction in certain workflows and are totally open to further iterations that address these issues without taking steps backwards.

I will note that consistency across platforms has been a super common request, though, so I wouldn't expect the Windows app to diverge fully from that on Mac. Despite the fact that I far and away prefer to use Windows myself, I ended up with a Mac laptop years ago and one thing that drove me nuts was how the things I was used to on Windows looked totally different on Mac. We also see folks switching from one OS to another frustrated they have to relearn where things are in 1Password. Consistency is valuable. We don't want to go full electron on y'all or anything, but an app can be both native to its operating system and sufficiently consistent with the rest of the ecosystem to avoid that sort of friction. That's the goal and a worthy one to my mind.

As for the continuing issue with opening URLs you mention, I assume you don't use the 1Password extension in your browser? I'm generally not a big fan of Go & Fill anyway, so I'll admit some more limited understanding of those mechanisms, but I believe those parameters are filling-related and your seeing them may be a consequence of triggering Go & Fill without having the extension installed. If I'm totally off-base, though, let me know. As I said, not my forte, so I'll not be at all offended if you tell me I'm wrong. Regardless, though, we appreciate you reporting it early on. While we may not fix everything y'all want tended to right away, the most helpful thing you can do is let us know about problems. There's nothing worse than an unreported issue that festers because no one told us it was happening. Thank you for taking that time. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@bundtkate Thank you so much for your warm words. English is not my main language so I am not good at writing compliments. But I can assure you that I am a huge fan and will be using 1P for many years.

I use 1Password X, yes, its already an addon for my Firefox. For 1P Windows app, on the Item viewer, just clicking on the Sign-in page link , which is only https://discussions.agilebits.com adds extra characters.

Me too, I am not big fan of Go & Fill, but I like clicking on the sign-in page link, without triggering Open & Fill.
    It happens only on Windows, for Firefox, I just see pure link, no extra parameters.
    I am pretty sure you can see it happening on your PC as well.

Thank you again.

• It's no trouble at all, @r1ma. And, for the record, I'd say your English is quite good. Plus, it doesn't matter if compliments are prefect. They're always welcome and much appreciated. :chuffed: It also means a lot that you still have nice things to say about 1Password, even when you're not totally happy with us. Thank you.

I totally can reproduce the issue you're seeing. It's not one I've seen a ton of complaints about, but it's something I've heard before and I know I've seen an issue in our tracker for it as well. We'll get to it. Maybe not right away, but it will happen. For now, I know you mentioned you're also not big on Go & Fill, but since you said you're using 1Password X, I thought I'd touch on it anyway. I can't honestly put my finger on why, but I like Go & Fill a lot more with 1Password X. I think because it's a bit quicker and I can do everything in my browser without using the mouse. It just fits how I browse the web a bit better. You might give it a try and see what you think. Just open 1Password X (Ctrl + . in Firefox), search for the Login you want, and press enter once it's at the top of the list. I'm largely in the habit of still using my old school bookmarks, so I haven't completely changed my workflow, but I've been trying to use it more and I do like it when I remember. Perhaps you will as well. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thanks for your comments.

"It also means a lot that you still have nice things to say about 1Password, even when you're not totally happy with us. Thank you."

Thanks for understanding my passion and loyalty. It made me happy to know that. Yes, despite being sad about the new UI, I am hopeful because I know your company is a good listener.

I will answer here regarding what you said about the 1P X and Go and Fill.

I was just reading comments and what JmcClane72 ( software developer and he dose programmings) wrote on https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/485058/#Comment_485058

is truth.
    I heartfelty hope in next version its corrected.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@bundtkate https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/484831/#Comment_484831

Please also read comments of the other user he mentioned there.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/485368/#Comment_485368

I ditto above link as well. Derek328 said perfect as well.

• I promise you, we've read it, @r1ma. I know it's tough to believe we understand and have absorbed this feedback when you can't see any immediate changes, but there are comments in one thread from everyone on the team – from little old me, to our lead Windows developer, to one of our design team. We can't always show you results right away and we may not always changes things in exactly the way you were hoping for, but I do hope our continued acknowledgement and the comments from the folks who will be directly designing and implementing any changes show y'all your voices are being heard all the same. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thank you for your great explanations. Its relief to know that you are all listening.
    I am sure you and your team all know the slogan that says "The customer is always right"

In German they say "Der Kunde ist König" which translates to the customer is king.

In other words, we are the product we use. Like saying that says "you are what you read", here we are product we use.
    Each and everyone of us are somehow is engaged in "Evangelism marketing"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We need to listen to all of our customers, not just the ones who take it upon themselves to post the same thing repeatedly in multiple places.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

My point was just to empathize with other members. That why I posted in other places for members to see. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're heart is in the right place then. I just want to make sure that we're not making others wait for longer than necessary because we're having the same conversation in multiple places. ;)

This discussion has been closed.