Confused about process for adding new login item

Options
rhgold53
rhgold53
Community Member

When I create a new password at a new site I'm registering at, usually using the password generator, the little popup window asking if you want to create/edit a new login doesn't always show up. Then I'm forced to copy/paste the new password (before I leave the site!) and manually create the login on my list using the + button. Why doesn't that handy little window always show up automatically? Or is there some way to force it to show up at the right time?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rhgold53 - there isn't. 1Password should always offer you the option of saving a new Login, but there are conditions and page layouts where that won't happen. That's one of the reasons why every password created with 1Password's strong password generator is saved as a separate Password item; because if it wasn't, you'd have just created an account with a password you not only can't remember, but never knew in the first place. In general, these are the steps to save a Login item in 1Password.

Sometimes, when that process doesn't work, it's down to the difference some sites have between their registration page and their actual login page, but whatever the reason, if you aren't offered a chance to save the Login item automatically, make sure the generated password was saved in 1Password, then sign OUT of the account you just created, and visit their main sign-in page (remember: this may very well be different from their registration page). Enter your username or email and paste in the password you just created and saved for the site, and press enter -- see if that prompts 1Password to offer you a Save Login dialogue -- it should in nearly all cases. If you find sites where this does NOT happen, let us know, and we'll see what we can do to make 1Password work better for that site. There will always be a tiny handful of sites that are either coded so unusually or whose owners see fit to try to defeat automatic password managers, that they won't ever play well with 1Password. But most sites should work and the ones that don't, we can usually adjust things to make work, if we know about them.

Let us know if you have any troubles or additional questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.