Option to reveal the master password in the Secure Desktop

Hello,

What would be the possible compromise(s), other than being in a public place, of having an option to reveal the master password in the Secure Desktop while it's being typed or after it's typed?

Wouldn't it be a feature?

Thx,
Andre

ps: this my first post to the Forum and I was not able to find a related topic neither a shortcut or option to reveal the master password. My apologies if there is a topic for that already.

1Password Version: 7.3.647
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 build 17763.253
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hello, @alappel, and welcome to the forum! My instinct is to say the Master Password field can't be revealed at all, but my memory is failing me as to why, exactly. I want to say that masking of fields is, in part, handled by Windows itself and we may have some reduced flexibility there. That said, I know that other apps include the option to reveal the password and that we offer such an option in your item details, so it stands to reason there may be something we can do to improve here. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the team and if I get a better answer about the whys and wherefores of Master Password masking along the way, I'll be sure to let you know. :chuffed:

• alappel
    alappel
    Community Member

Hi, @bundtkate, thank you for the feedback! It's very unfortunate to know about this Windows restriction. I hope it could be circumvented in the future, with forthcoming Windows releases, maybe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't disagree with you. Certainly having it hidden is not always beneficial. But while some apps (and websites) use a standard text field for password entry instead of an actual password field and try to "hide" it themselves, it does mean giving up the non-obvious benefit of preventing other software from easily capturing the password, which is pretty important for 1Password, and something we get "for free" by using a standard password field. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.