New single column UI in Windows Desktop App???

I noticed that the most recent update to the Windows Desktop app now has a single column layout for the right hand side (data entry side) -- anyone else find this as annoying as I do? Its hard to read, adds a LOT more scrolling and ends up with a tone of wasted "white space" on the right side of the window. Any thoughts on going back to a multi-column layout? It was a lot easier to read and use.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@ravensorb

See here and here.

Brace yourself...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ravensorb: We don't have plans to go back to the old layout, but we're working on streamlining the new design, especially to make better use of space and clarify the fields/data. Thanks for your feedback. :)

• ravensorb
    ravensorb
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

This is unfortunate to hear, I do a fair amount of UI/UX work and single column layouts for applications rarely have good user feedback in my experience (with the exception of extremely short forms on small screen devices). They tend to be easier for developers to build and harder for users to actually use especially on a regular basis as data has a tendency to constantly get "lost" between the lines of the labels. I do hope you consider changing your opinion and approach in the future.

• As brenty mentioned @ravensorb, we're still iterating on this design and are absolutely listening to feedback. We're just saying we're not planning a wholesale reversion of all these changes. Also, as one of the folks stuck on a smaller screen at present, I agree that the layout works a lot better on such devices and hope that the benefit a single column has for those of us lacking in screen real estate is kept in mind as well. We all use 1Password differently and on all sorts of different devices. We had complaints about the prior design as well, which these changes were meant to address, so going backwards isn't the answer. We need to design with this variation in mind. Getting this stuff right is a process and we need to keep looking forward and consider how we can address new concerns without taking away improvements for others. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.