I am trying to upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 for W, but the downloaded application will not open.

I am trying to upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 for W, but the downloaded application will not open. I first deleted the 1PW4 program (though left the folder in DropBox), then turned off the Norton Antivirus, then downloaded the setup application from your website into the Download folder on my Surface Book (W10Pro). Nothing happened when I double-clicked on the file "1PasswordSetup-7.3.657". I reinstalled 1PW4 to maintain the service, but would appreciate your advice on how to install the upgrade.

1Password Version: 1PW4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10Pro
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:I am trying to upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 for W, but the downloaded application will not open.

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ccalberti,

Thank you for getting in touch!

We are investigating the issue with the installer at the moment. I have found your email on our side and get back to you soon. To avoid a further confusion, let's continue our conversation there. Thanks!

ref: DVN-75669-963

• MarkPSC
    MarkPSC
    Community Member

Was there a solution to this? I am also experiencing the same situation.

I click Install and nothing happens. When I run it from the command line I get:

D:\My Downloads\Chrome>[2019-01-16 10:23:50.221590 -05:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:196: starter 7.3.657
    [2019-01-16 10:23:50.225756 -05:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:197: Logging to : C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2019-01-16 10:23:50.229742 -05:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:264: Installing to: C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.657
    [2019-01-16 10:23:50.445430 -05:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7 to C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.old
    [2019-01-16 10:23:50.449413 -05:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.657 to C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7
    [2019-01-16 10:23:50.676021 -05:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:166: Installation successful!

And in that folder, it has:

Directory of C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\1password\app\7

01/16/19 10:23 AM

. 01/16/19 10:23 AM
        .. 01/16/19 10:23 AM 3,497,360 1password.brain.exe 01/16/19 10:23 AM 9,938,320 1password.dll 01/16/19 10:23 AM 5,635,472 1Password.exe 01/16/19 10:23 AM 569 ChromeManifest.json 01/16/19 10:23 AM 219 FirefoxManifest.json 5 File(s) 19,071,940 bytes 2 Dir(s) 18,380,201,984 bytes free
  • ccalberti
    ccalberti
    Community Member

I have replied to your email already. I have followed your instructions, without success. I believe it is better for me to hold off until you sort out your tech issues. 1PW4 works fine and I am not in a rush to switch to a rental model until the transition is easy.

• MarkPSC
    MarkPSC
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I have the same issues.

When I installed, it just vanished (I tried from command line and it seemed to complete successfully). When I run it nothing happens. I tried running form command line as well and nothing happens. It just returns.

• Part of resolving these issues is figuring out why they're happening, @ccalberti. We've installed 1Password 7 many times ourselves without issue, as have many others that are currently using it. If you and others are still having problems, we need to hear from you and be able to investigate the problem in order to fix it. Of course, it's totally your call to hang tight, but if you're up to keep working with Greg and help us out, we always appreciate it. :chuffed:

@MarkPSC, could you open Start, then type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password to search, and press enter? You should see a logs folder in the folder that comes up, if it was created at all. If you can't find it, just let me know. If it's there, open it, open the setup folder in that logs folder, and see if you can grab the latest log and send it over to use via e-mail to support+windows@1password.com. That should include info about the install process and let us know what went wrong where. Thanks! :chuffed:

• ccalberti
    ccalberti
    Community Member

Now my Chrome Extension is not working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extension ito no avail. Are you phasing out the iP4 platform, as this extension is key to functionality. See attachments for my W10, GC and 1P4 builds.

• Hi guys,

If you have tried 1Password 6 in the past, it would leave behind an old database file that 1Password 7.3 can't open and crashes instead. We're working on fixing this.

For now, try this:

1. Install 1Password 7.2 from here: https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-7.2.617.exe
    2. You can then go to 1Password menu and it should detect 1Password 7.3 update and the update will work.

If it is crashing because of 7.3 update, let us know.

• ccalberti
    ccalberti
    Community Member

Waste of time. I have deleted 1Password from my devices and switched to another provider.

• We understand and do apologize for the issue you had with this.

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member

damm im starting to feel your guys pain!!

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

We're more than happy to help anyone, just let us know. We're working on fixing these issues for the next 1Password 7 update.

• JEL99
    JEL99
    Community Member

Hi, I have a company supplied laptop (Windows 10) and was running 1Password ver 4 Standalone. I have since started a Families Plan. As per 1Pass help info for Windows I downloaded the Ver 7 s/w file. As I do not have administrator rights I asked my Corporate IT Help Desk to load as per Ver 4. They attempted install to under my account, however, this did not work, other than initially seeing the 1Pass icon in the "hidden icons" of the start bar, so I thought it was installed. After restarting the PC, 1Pass Ver 7 is nowhere to be found? I asked my help desk to see if they could find it = no. So they logged in remotely using their own account with admin rights and loaded the s/w. Which worked, so they were going to uninstall and try again using my account and giving me temporary admin rights. Unfortunately, he cannot find how to uninstall the Ver 7 app. can you please advise how they can uninstall the ver 7. I will then get them to install 7.3.657. If that doesn't work I'll try the fix above and get them to install 7.2.617. --->>>> can you please advise how they can uninstall the ver 7, they cannot see the app in Programs??

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JEL99,

You do not need admin rights to install 1Password, so I am not sure what happened on your computer. If you have 1Password 7 installed on your PC now, could you please unlock it, go to Settings > Update, and tell me which version you have? Moreover, if you have one of the previous versions, you should be able to check for updates there. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• JEL99
    JEL99
    Community Member

Hi Greg, with Corp laptops they are locked down and no s/w can be installed. Hence I had to get my IT help desk to try and install. I had standalone v4 but this was removed as part of the process of trying to install v7. The only way the IT could install was when logged into my PC with their own account with admin rights. Unfortunately I cannot use/access when I log in. So they want to un-install from their account on my PC but are unable to locate v7 via Programs etc. they wanted to know if there was a special uninstall process? It all seems very strange, v4 was installed with no problems. Is it possible to upgrade from v4 standalone to v7? From your help pages it stated to download v7 s/w, install and then remove v4. I would have thought that I’m not the first person with a Corp PC and Windows 10 with limited/no admin rights. Any suggestions would be most welcome. At this stage I’m unable to use 1Password on my PC. With my data

• casegrad91
    casegrad91
    Community Member

I too was having trouble with the 7.3.657 installer. The 7.2.617 version linked in answers above worked like a champ. Within a couple minutes it notified me that an upgrade was available which ran fine.

• JEL99
    JEL99
    Community Member

Thanks casegrad91, I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm in a little unusual situation, as my IT Help Desk isn't able to un-install ver 7.3.657 under their profile and does'nt want to install with my PC login profile.... Which I think I will need to do before I try the 7.2.617 fix.
    Greg ->> have you heard of my situation, where you are unable to un-install?

• dumbonshow
    dumbonshow
    Community Member

Same problem here. But I did what @MikeT said and it went well.
    There may be something wrong with your lastest setup application.

• Hi guys,

@dumbonshow

There may be something wrong with your lastest setup application.

There is a bug, it is not related to the installer; we have a known issue with very old 1Password database files, a lot of folks tried 1Password 6 in the past but never updated it to 6.8 or later that came with the newer database versions. 1Password 7.3 it doesn't recognize these older ones and crashes as the result whereas 1Password 7.2 does, it'd updates the database and 1Password 7.3 work after that.

We're working on fixing it for the next update as fast as we can.

@JEL99,

I think I'm in a little unusual situation, as my IT Help Desk isn't able to un-install ver 7.3.657 under their profile and does'nt want to install with my PC login profile....

If they installed with admin rights, it will uninstall the admin version of 1Password, not your local user version of 1Password.

Have them do this: log in to your user profile and move %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app directory to the desktop and then run the 7.3 installer with your account.

• JEL99
    JEL99
    Community Member

Hi Mike, I tried Ver 7.2 and it loaded, so I then updated to 7.3 which worked. Thanks for your assistance.

Also, I’ve tried to find instructions on how to open my old database from my PC. It was syncing to Dropbox, I was able to do it from my IOS devices but haven’t been able to work it out for PC. Any thoughts on that one?

• Hi @JEL99,

It was syncing to Dropbox, I was able to do it from my IOS devices but haven’t been able to work it out for PC. Any thoughts on that one?

When you open 1Password 7, there's an option to open an existing vault from Dropbox, click on it and then look for any folders ending in .agilekeychain or .opvault. By default, 1Password 4 would use 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox > Apps > 1Password directory. If yes, you'd have to convert this to OPVault and follow instructions provided by 1Password and configure iOS app to use this new converted vault.

This discussion has been closed.