Thoughts on version 7.3

Hi,
Just some random thoughts on 7.3. Overall it's a great update!

Field titles above field instead of next to
To be honest, I prefer the old layout. When you have a document with lots fields (and I have plenty!) it does seem like a lot of vertical space is used.
It also makes the editor less intuitive: multiple times in the last week I've inserted a section title only to realise that I added it into a field instead.

However, I think it's doubtful you're going to change this back (or give us the option to choose) and I understand that. As such one thing that could make this better is make the gap between the field title and the field item smaller. Comparing it to 1password X, 1PX has a much smaller gap here and it looks better.

Type in Window
Overall this is much better than before, but if I right click on a plain text item I get greeted with the 50+ windows I currently have open

Support for custom uri schemas
It's great to see that we can use custom uri schemas now. However, the implementation isn't perfect. The current rdp schema looks like this:
rdp://full address=s:mypc (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-uri)
and 1password just treats it as http.
yeah, the format is completely stupid, and I wish they came up with something better, but that's what we've got to live with.

Thanks again on the great update, keep it up!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for your feedback @cpmcgrath! On the items details front, this is a first pass. We're definitely going to make changes. Indeed, we probably won't go back to the old ways, but that doesn't mean this is the end of the road. I'll admit a degree of bias here – I like the new layout. I've been stuck working on a 12" screen for a bit while making repairs, and the old layout would have been a nightmare docked to half of that tiny screen. I may change my tune when I get my desktop back, but being stuck on something smaller has shown me that there are folks for whom these changes are likely a boon, so we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, even if there is definitely still room for improvement. :+1:

On the Type in Window front, could you give me an example of where you're seeing a longer list? I opened a ton of windows and tried a website field, but I'm still getting a scrollable list that is never longer than ~5 windows, but it's possible this could be field-specific and I'm just choosing a bad plain-text field.

Finally, RDP URI, I see this URI does open in a browser and suspect you're expecting it to open RDP, but wanted to confirm. It looks like the schema itself may have some issues (it doesn't open properly from a run dialogue for a teammate of mine either), but if I'm on the right track, it's definitely something we can look into. :chuffed:

I'm glad to hear you're largely enjoying the update, too. Thanks for taking the time to share, both the good and the bad, and I hope we've got some more goodies in store for you soon.

• dyl_
    dyl_
    Community Member

Hey, I tweeted you guys about this and I think I came off as a bit of a jerk, so I apologise. But I have to agree with OP on the first point. I know it's a beta and I know I should just learn to like it but I keep switching back to the (imo) better looking web interface. Sorry :(

I've got to say though, I really like the always-present password strength indicator. Is it based on entropy or just length/difficulty?

Finally, tieing into the first point a bit, I really prefer the flat design in the web interface and the pre-7.3 desktop look. I'm not a fan of the iOS 6 gradients on the searchbar background for example.

Finally I'm a bit new, is there anywhere on the roadmap for a dark theme (either natively for Windows or integration with OS X dark mode?)

Thank you!!

• dyl_
    dyl_
    Community Member

Also - would be nice to make the initial field length longer. I keep clicking on the whitespace to the right of the fields ready to paste details in. :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dyl_,

We are aware of the interface issues (such as spacing, layout, visual hierarchy, etc) and we are working on fixing them in our future update. You will be seeing those improvements there. As for your other questions:

I really like the always-present password strength indicator. Is it based on entropy or just length/difficulty?

Our password strength meter is based on a lot of different factors. As Lars mentions here, calculating password strength is tricky. If you want to have strong passwords, the best practice is to use 1Password's own password generator.

I'm not a fan of the iOS 6 gradients on the search bar background for example.

Not sure what gradients you mean. Could you please share a screenshot? Thanks!

is there anywhere on the roadmap for a dark theme (either natively for Windows or integration with OS X dark mode?)

We do not have a public roadmap and we try not to give any dates. Having a dark mode in 1Password for Windows would be cool, but we don't know when it'll happen. We still have a lot of other changes we want to make first before we consider redesigning the app to support dark mode.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Greg

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@bundtkate
    Please also let me share what opusman wrote on
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/486140/#Comment_486140

Let me here ditto what he said at the end of the post, because it relates to me as well:
    "I haven't been using 1Password very long and already this change has made me dislike it, which is not really a good place to be in."

I started another thread without finding this one, but I just wanted to add a +1 and say I think the new Windows UI stinks.

I don't care how it works on the Mac. I don't use a Mac, never have. And if you really want them consistent I would say you should copy the Windows UI to the Mac and not the other way around.

Hidden UI is never a good design, even if it might seem cool to the developers. Having to stop and think about where you're going to move the mouse to slows you down. Buttons should be in a consistent place, and be a consistent size. They shouldn't bounce around the screen in response to other content. And hiding options in a drop-down menu when there is plenty of screen space them is just plain silly. Some users have small screens? Come on, that's just an excuse. Collapse the UI into an overflow menu if it doesn't fit on a small screen.

I haven't been using 1Password very long and already this change has made me dislike it, which is not really a good place to be in.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@dyl_
    " I really prefer the flat design in the web interface and the pre-7.3 desktop look. "
    Me too. So sad that 7.3 looks ugly.

• As we were discussing in the other thread, @r1ma, I (and others, too, I'm sure) do understand your passion and we are listening to this feedback. Really. I know it's tough because (again, like I mentioned in the other thread), you don't really have anything other than our words to go on right now, but repeating and reiterating really doesn't help any of us, it just takes time away from other things on our plates. If you agree with someone, absolutely say so. That helps us know what's most important to y'all. If you have something else specific to add, please share it. We are still listening. If some of us are a bit brief in these replies, it's not that we don't care or aren't listening. We've just reached a point where most of what we can say with any certainty has already been said in one thread or another. We totally hear you, but we also need to make sure we're addressing issues from other customers and also keeping things moving on making 1Password better – both with your feedback in mind and by continuing to look and move forward onto the next thing. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

I understand, and thank you for your great explanations @bundtkate

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for taking the time to let us know what you think -- and for being so passionate about 1Password in the first place. We'll keep working to make it better for everyone. :)

This discussion has been closed.