Cannot contact server for license activation

Options

I purchased a copy of 1Password years ago and have been very happy with it, however when reinstalling Windows recently and the version of 1Password that I'm licensed to use (1.0.9.342 on Windows), I received the message 'Cannot contact server for license activation' when selecting 'Help -> Enter license key'.

The software was working perfectly on Windows 10 until I needed to reinstall it following a hard disk upgrade.

I do not wish to upgrade the version that I'm using (which would entail me buying it for a second time), just simply to use the version I've already paid for.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @extrasauce: I'd encourage you to reconsider upgrading 1Password 1 is extremely old and hasn't seen an update in ages. It won't work with the latest browser extensions leaving you to copy/paste your data and is long past its end of life. There will come a point where it won't work any longer as Windows continues to modernize.

If you're dead set on keeping what you've got though, this usually happens because you've entered the license key with lower case letters. Make sure you're doing a direct copy/paste from your original license e-mail and see if the license then takes.

• extrasauce
    extrasauce
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks for the reply - I've never used the browser extensions, so that isn't an issue. The license key entered is an exact copy/paste from original license email - it just appears that the license server cannot be contacted.

What URL does the 1.0.9.342 client attempt to contact to validate the license key, and is that DNS entry still valid?

• Hi @extrasauce,

Please email us directly at support+windows@agilebits.com with a link to this thread. We've switched to a more modern and secure server, which 1Password 1 won't work with anymore. We do have a workaround but it is not something we can share in public forums here.

• extrasauce
    extrasauce
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT email sent

• bundtkate
    edited November 2018
    Options

@extrasauce: I'm not seeing an e-mail that came in from the address you registered on the forum. You don't need to share the e-mail address you sent it from or anything, but you should have received an autoreply from BitBot with a support ID. Could you drop that number here so I can hunt down your e-mail? Thanks!

ref: IGV-17665-829

• extrasauce
    extrasauce
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks @bundtkate , I received a response from Laura earlier and this problem is now resolved (#IGV-17665-829), great service thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your support! Glad Laura was able to help. We're here if you need anything else. :)

• mrfixit0
    mrfixit0
    Community Member
    Options

I have sent several emails this past week hoping to get a resolution to a similar problem. #DWX-67856-921 I do have a subscription, but have not had time to perform the migration. I really need to get 1password 1.0.9.342 to work on the computer going with me on an imminent trip. I had not anticipated a problem with the license server not being reachable. Can a solution be provided?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrfixit0,

1Password 1.0.9.342 is outdated, that is why you can't activate it with your license key. I replied to your email and provided with a temporary solution there. Please check your inbox. If you have additional questions, let's continue our conversation via email. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• StageScreen
    StageScreen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    could you provided me the temporary solution, too? I'm stuck with 1Password 4 Windows and cannot upgrade to the new version.

Best regards
    Daniel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@StageScreen: Please send an email to sales@1password.com with the details so we can help.

This discussion has been closed.