Firefox 1Password extension does not work

Options

Issue: clicking on the 1password extension in Firefox does nothing, except highlight the button itself momentarily.

This is a brand new install of the OS, browser, 1password app.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: none

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello @SnuffyJen,

Can you try the following for me please.

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Quit Firefox if it is running.
    3. Confirm that both 1Password and Firefox reside in the system-wide /Applications/ folder or a subfolder of it. Anywhere else and things won't work.
    4. Launch 1Password and unlock.
    5. Launch Firefox and attempt to use the extension.

If you're still having trouble with the extension can you create a diagnostic report and send it in please. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@1password.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. If you can post that ticket ID here it will help us locate your diagnostic report and we'll see what it reveals.

If after clicking the Create New Mail Message... button in the diagnostic reporting tool you see a bunch of errors run the tool again but once the Create New Mail Message... button appears click on the icon to the right. This will open a Finder window focussed on a folder titled Diagnostics. In there you will see a folder and a ZIP file (whose contents are the folder). Attach the ZIP file to your email and send that in :smile:

• SnuffyJen
    SnuffyJen
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

The problem was that Firefox was not running from /Applications. It's now working. Thanks for your prompt response. @littlebobbytables

• SnuffyJen
    SnuffyJen
    Community Member
    Options

One more question: in 1password 6, the once you selected the login it would submit for you. Is there a setting to enable that (I can't find it). Also is there a setting to automatically select and submit for those site where there is one and only one entry?

Thanks in advance.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SnuffyJen,

So the submit after filling feature was removed in 1Password 7. Apple made a number of security improvements in macOS Mojave but unfortunately one of those was connected to how our submit feature worked. 1Password wasn't doing anything untoward, the issue was the feature we relied on was shown to have potential for misuse. Apple blocked it as a precaution but it affect 1Password as a result. I completely understand why Apple did this even if it's a shame that 1Password was affected. Hopefully over time you will find like I have that you don't miss it as much as you may initially think.

1Password doesn't do autofill in the form where 1Password fills with no user intervention at all. We do this for security reasons as completely automated filling, the kind that isn't user activated, has been shown to be weak to certain attacks. We avoid that by always requiring that filling is initiated by the user. Even with open-and-fill, you or I as the user are instructing 1Password to perform an action and our open-and-fill will only work with the stored URL.

I hope the reasons why seem reasonable, if you have questions about any of that please do let me know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.