How, exactly, do I move data from 1Password 6 (Macintosh) to 1Password 7? Going Mad!

Options
NickTennant
NickTennant
Community Member

Version 6 is still resident, but not really working any more. Version 7 is installed, but has no data. The question says it all. Went to the forum and found nothing but turgid, convoluted, and utterly confusing advice, apparently different for each customer. Shouldn't this migration be simple? The only thing that works so far is the payment that got sucked out of my credit card. I have been a happy customer for many years, but this is beyond disappointing.

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How, exactly, do I move data from 1Password 6 (Macintosh) to 1Password 7? Going Mad!

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @NickTennant

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble upgrading to v7. In the vast majority of cases the process is entirely painless and automatic. I’m sorry to hear it did not occur that way for you. In order to get an understanding of the situation I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93927/
    • Your forum username: NickTennant

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

ref: RYB-57774-284

• janehowitt
    janehowitt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem. NO IDEA how to move all my data from v6 to v7 and am going round and round in circles.

Please help!

Jane

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janehowitt - I'm sorry for the trouble! As Ben says, this process usually works smoothly and painlessly. However, if you're having trouble, we'll need some additional information before we can get an idea of what might be wrong and how we might help you right it. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password do you have installed (if more than one, let us know all versions, and whether they're from the Mac App Store or from us directly)
    2. What specific version of macOS are you running?
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension(s) are you using in your browser(s) (and which browsers)?
    4. Are you a standalone user, or do you have a 1password.com membership/account? Or both?
    5. What specific steps have you taken so far, and what's not working the way you expect?
    6. Anything else you think might be important for us to know regarding the situation?

Thanks in advance, and remember not to post any personally-identifying information here in this public forum! :)

• janehowitt
    janehowitt
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, thank you so much for getting back to me. Sadly, things have now got even worse, but I'll give you the info you've asked for and tell you all about it as I go...

1 The only version of 1Password I have on my computer now is version 7.2.4

This morning, as well as version 7, I also had version 6, with all the data in. But then I tried to follow the advice onsite and re-downloaded version 7 from your site. It downloaded nicely... but version 6 just disappeared. And so did all the info in it...

I don't know which version 6 this was. The only thing to do with 1Password 6 left in my Applications folder is 1Password6.app.zip which, I suppose, is the original I downloaded. I suppose I could open it and relaunch 1Password 6, but it wouldn't have the data in, would it? So I don't see the point.Though, I presume I could find out which version 6 I was using?

I think I must have got this zip file from your site, not the App Store, as there is no record of me getting 1Password in my App Store account.

2 macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2

3 I was using Chrome until about three weeks ago. 1Password Extension Version 4.7.3.90

I'm now using Safari as default. The Safari extension is 1Password 7.2.4

4 I have an annual subscription (Is that the same as a 1password.com membership? I am being REALLY dim today... Sorry...)

5 I've had 1Password for a long time. Then last July I signed up for the annual subscription and downloaded 1Password 7. No problem accessing it from the computer, but the data from 1Password 6 wasn't automatically moved over. I got very confused trying to sort it out, so gave up and continued using version 6.

I realised this was silly about a month ago, and decided to Sort Things Out. But I obviously just made a complete mess of it all. I read info on your site and tried to follow it but couldn't find anything about automatically or manually moving data from version 6 to version 7.

Finally, I found the thread on the Support Forum and the info that Ben gave. I decided asking for help was the best idea – hence my comment.

Then, whilst I was waiting, I thought I'd try one last thing – and that's when I went to Get the Apps in my account and downloaded and reinstalled 1Password for Mac. It replaced the version I'd installed earlier, but didn't automatically access version 6. And when I tried to open version 6, I discovered it had disappeared from my computer.

6 The only thing I can add is that I find some things difficult to process having had a brain haemorrhage some years ago. That probably doesn't help me working out what on earth I'm doing wrong.

I do hope this is clear enough and not too discombobulating!! I apologise if I've repeated myself too much. I just hope you can help.

Jane

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janehowitt - don't panic. :)

The only thing to do with 1Password 6 left in my Applications folder is 1Password6.app.zip which, I suppose, is the original I downloaded. I suppose I could open it and relaunch 1Password 6, but it wouldn't have the data in, would it?

It would indeed have your data in it...unless you removed that data yourself from version 6 prior to this most-recent round of actions. But let's not do that just yet, there's a better way.

I have an annual subscription (Is that the same as a 1password.com membership? I am being REALLY dim today... Sorry...)

You're not being dim. A 1password.com membership is indeed paid for via subscription. :)

I do hope this is clear enough and not too discombobulating!! I apologise if I've repeated myself too much. I just hope you can help.

You have not, and I can. :)

Here's what I'd like you to do:

1. Open 1Password 7 for Mac (if it isn't already open) and unlock it with your Master Password (or Touch/Face ID).
    2. Click File > Import. You'll see a window that looks like this:
    3. Choose "1Password 6"
    4. Another window will pop up, asking you where you'd like to import it into (should be obvious) and "Choose File" - by this, we mean where is the 1Password 6 data located? Click "Choose File", and another window will pop up. It will almost certainly not be in the directory we need it to be, so at the top of the window, you'll see the current directory, in a drop-down menu, like this:
    5. Click that drop-down menu, and look down until you see the folder called "Library" that's right above your username (this image uses my own Mac username, aglars, yours will be different):
    6. Inside, you'll see numerous folders. Double-click the one called Application Support, then inside that folder, double-click 1Password 4, then inside that, double-click Data.
    7. Scroll down, and locate the file called OnePassword.sqlite -- and double-click that to begin the import process. You should see a window showing you the progress of importing your data.

Let me know how that goes for you, or if you run into any difficulties. :)

• janehowitt
    janehowitt
    Community Member
    Options

O! M! G! It worked!!!! You are a Star, Lars – thank you so much for taking the time to work it out for me and talk me through.

Had a horrid moment when it wanted my 1Password 6 master password – took me ages to remember it. I just think an upgrade to my brain memory is needed, don't you?

Right – my next job is to sort out the mess that I let my passwords get into: create lots of vaults (why didn't I do that before?); delete out-of-date passwords; and make sure they're all UNIQUE! Got a good weekend ahead, haven't I?

Again, thank you SO much. You get Jane's Gold Star Award for Great Customer Service :)

Jane

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@janehowitt - awesome! I'm so glad you got it working. Thanks so much for the kind words, as well. And have fun organizing 1Password just the way you want it to be this weekend. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.