Expanding word list in macOS app

Options
Cheatha
Cheatha
Community Member

When generating a new password I'm using the word list method most of the times. I'm pretty happy with that, because I can type them easily if I need to and with more than 5 words they are pretty long. On the downside they are not as secure (in terms of entropy) as a similiar long randomly generated password. And most of the times password policies require an uppercase letter, so I have to manually edit them. I found a few discussions about this topic on the forum and decided to solve both problems myself: By expanding the file /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/AgileLibrary.framework/Resources/AgileWords.txt with a german dictionary I get more words, hence more entropy and uppercase letters. For me, as a native speaker, it's also easy to type although the words are commonly a little longer. If you'd like to do it by yourself, there are compatible wordlists provided by the linux distributon of your choice. On Debian I did apt install wogerman and fetched the file from /usr/share/dict.

Might it cause any foreseeable problems to alter this list myself? I'm pretty sure it will be overwritten after upgrading the app, but to expand the list again is pretty easy.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    edited January 2019
    Options

@cheatha,

I wouldn't recommend mucking around inside the bundle.

As a security measure 1Password validates its code signature to ensure it hasn't been tampered with. Apple also validates that code signature when attempting to use the Safari App Extension. By modifying the bundle you've caused the signature to become invalid which will effectively prevent all of the extension interfaces from working.

we do have a request to add localized word list support, but I'm not sure what the priority on that request is at this time.

This discussion has been closed.