I'm still using El Capitan.

mbpt
mbpt
Community Member

I've just signed up, but I've been stopped right out of the gate.
The 1Password for Mac app requires macOS Sierra and I'm still on macOS El Capitan.

Is there a version of this software that will function with my computer? Where can I get it?
Or is there an alternative to using the app? (via a browser, for instance)

Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mbpt! System requirements for 1Password can be found at this link, for future reference. If you're still rocking OS X 10.11 (“El Capitan"), you'll need 1Password 6 for Mac. That version will work not only with your version of OS X, but also will still work (for now) with 1password.com accounts. I say "for now," because version 6 is no longer receiving development attention, and at some point, changes to macOS, to 1password.com or both will render version 6 unusable with a 1password.com account. At that point, it'll be time to upgrade your hardware, not just your software/OS version. But for now, you should be just fine. You'll need to download it directly from our downloads page (scroll down a bit to the "using an older computer" section). Let us know how you get on! :)

• mbpt
    mbpt
    Community Member

Thanks. I was able to download the 1Password v.6.

I'm afraid that other software we use regularly can't doesn't work with the latest Mac OS, so we're stuck with the older System. If/when we are able to upgrade our systems, software, and hardware, we will update to the newer version of 1Password.

If 1Password.com stops working with your older software before we're ready for the newer Mac OS, well... We'll make a decision about how to proceed then,

But so far, things seem to be working pretty well. I think I need to make my passwords stronger!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mbpt - one other possibility for you if you reach the point where 1Password 6 for Mac is no longer working with 1password.com accounts and you're still not either able or willing to upgrade would be to investigate 1Password X. 1Password X is our browser-based solution which doesn't require a companion native app. That would mean you could use it without any version of 1Password for Mac -- with a couple of caveats. Currently, it works only in Chrome (and a few Chrome-derivatives such as Vivaldi and Brave) and Firefox. There is no Safari equivalent, so if you're a Safari outfit, this won't work for you. And because it interfaces directly with the 1password.com servers without needing a local 1Password app, 1Password X does not work with standalone data currently. But it may be a solution for you if that eventuality ever comes to pass.

• mbpt
    mbpt
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I use all three browsers - depending on what I'm doing. My wife prefers Chrome. So if worse comes to worse, we'll give 1Password X a try.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mbpt - sounds good! Let us know if you have any questions or hit any snags. :)

• mtrcycllvr
    mtrcycllvr
    Community Member

Hello.. I am caught up in a similar situation.. beloved and still frequently used "old macs".
    My situation? Safari 11. 1Passowrd 6.
    My question?

WHERE IS THE OLD SAFARI 11 COMPATIBLE EXTENSION HIDDEN? I've been looking for hours.

I HAVE upgraded to 1password 7 on macs that will take it, I'm fine with paying you for an upgrade.

But I would really like my legacy macs to keep working, and that means access to the legacy bits? I downloaded and install the entire 1Password 6.8 and re-installed it on the hit from another post that suggested this would fix my problem. It doesn't. That I can tell, at any rate..

Thanks so much! LOVE 1password!

Eric

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mtrcycllvr - thanks for your continued support, and I wish I had better news for you, but as you're probably already aware if you've been trying to run much older Macs, things start to become incompatible after a while. Unfortunately, this is one of them. In Safari 12, Apple completely redesigned the format extensions use. The old format, .safariextz, is one we've all become used to using for years. It's the one 1Password 6 for Mac was built with. The new format is called Safari App Extensions, and it's the reason why, when you look in the Extensions tab of Safari on your Macs running 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll see the version number of the extension matches the version number of the 1Password app. In the past, with .safariextz format, the version number for our extension was 4.7.5.90.

As a security-focused aspect of this change, Apple first disallowed extensions from being installed directly from 3rd parties (like us). And then, several months ago, they closed the old Safari Extensions Gallery. That means there's no longer any way to install the 1Password extension format for Safari 11 or earlier. You can read more about this change here, but it's not something we can address or fix -- it is a permanent incompatibility, as all software eventually develops once it's no longer being developed (version 6 stopped receiving development attention when version 7 was released in May of 2018).

Your options are: you can still install and use the 1Password extension for either Chrome or Firefox, which will continue to work for the time being. Or, if you have a 1password.com account, you can install 1Password X (which also does not have a Safari version but will work in Chrome or Firefox). Unfortunately, 1Password in Safari 11 or lower is no longer possible any longer unless you already had it set up previously. Wish I had better news for you, but that's the state of play. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.