Suggested Items?

joshuaforman
joshuaforman
Community Member

Some UX feedback — in the latest version of the 1p extension (I'm on Chrome), this "suggested items" area shows up (see below). It's really confusing — it seems to show up for websites where I don't have an account? My assumption was that it would suggest logins that maybe didn't precisely match an item in my DB, but it doesn't seem to be doing that? I have no idea what it's there for, and its placement adds a lot of cognitive load to something that used to be more precise :(

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @joshuaforman! You're not the first person to observe this, and it's something we're looking at for future versions of 1Password. Nothing to announce regarding the display/layout of the mini/extension just yet, but thanks for taking the time to share your observations with us, and I'll pass them along to the development/design team.

• joshuaforman
    joshuaforman
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply, Lars! I love the product overall, thanks for all of your hard work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@joshuaforman - you're quite welcome. Thanks for the kind words, and keep the comments and suggestions coming, if you have any others. :)

• mikejg
    mikejg
    Community Member

I'll just add my two cents - it'd be great if either recommended sites (as Joshua mentioned) or the option to create a new login from that were possible.

At this point, I don't see a way to create a login from the Chrome extension - is that my miss?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikejg - if you're on a site you want to save a Login item for, you can invoke the mini through either the keyboard shortcut or clicking the icon in your browser's toolbar, and then click the gear icon at the top right of the pop-up and choose "Save New Login."

• phrozenpenguin
    phrozenpenguin
    Community Member

Am I being dense here - I think I have the same issue as the original poster. I'm getting a "suggested items" popup even though I have no logins, which the same dialogue also displays. I'm on Safari. Agreed it adds a bunch of cognitive load (aka confusion), unless it actually has a useful purpose (which I haven't found yet).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phrozenpenguin: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! "Suggested Items" is where 1Password...well, suggests items that may be useful for you based on the current context (most often a website, but also works with some Mac apps). \

For example, when I'm at a website for which I have one or more Login items saved already, 1Password will list them, as well as Credit Card and Identity items (since it can fill those into web pages too).

In your screenshot above though, since there are no Login items matching the current URL, 1Password only lists Credit Cards and Identities as "Suggested".

I do like the idea mentioned above though, about offering a "Save Login" option there -- though it could be confusing for people to have 1Password "suggest" they save a new Login, and might take that as a literal directive. Interesting idea though.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cabello
    cabello
    Community Member

I have a similar issue.

Take a look at the screenshot for example:

The correct suggested item is in another vault, if I click on the suggested item, nothing happens, I have to flip through several vaults until I find the correct one so I can pick the username/pass.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cabello - I'd suggest viewing "All Vaults" - that's the only way to see all of your data at one time. And you'll need to make sure every vaults (or at least the ones you'd like to be able to search) are enabled in Preferences > Vaults. Hope that helps! :)

• Cannolo
    Cannolo
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

What am I missing? You acknowledge that "suggested items" doesn't do anything while you debate backstage about what to do with it. In another reply, you say you worry about confusion. Meanwhile, as someone pointed out, it adds to the cognitive load. That is, it's confusing. If all this is true, what's it still doing there? Can't you figure out what do to with it without making it visible and without the confusion?

• @Cannolo

We're evaluating how we want to handle this moving forward. We don't comment on future plans (largely because they are subject to change) but we do have some ideas in this regard.

Ben

• Cannolo
    Cannolo
    Community Member

What am I missing? You know "suggested items" doesn't do anything and that you're debating backstage about it. In another reply, you say you worry about confusion. Meanwhile, "suggested items" doesn't do anything at all. Meanwhile, as someone pointed out, it adds to the cognitive load. It's confusing! If all this is true, what's it still doing there? Can't you figure out what do to with it before you make it visible?

• Cannolo
    Cannolo
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply, Ben. But this time it's you who's missing something. No one's asking you to comment on plans, future or not. If you don't want to comment on plans, don't prompt the question. Just take it down until you've made a plan. Again, why is it visible?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Cannolo - you're welcome to ask any question you feel prompted to ask - but we may not answer with the information you're asking, or in the way you hope to receive it. :)

• Cannolo
    Cannolo
    Community Member

What am I missing? You know "suggested items" doesn't do anything and that you're debating backstage about it. In another reply, you say you worry about confusion. Meanwhile, "suggested items" doesn't do anything at all. Meanwhile, as someone pointed out, it adds to the cognitive load. It's confusing! If all this is true, what's it still doing there? Can't you figure out what do to with it before you make it visible?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Cannolo - posting the same exact (copied) text multiple times doesn't help anyone here - you, us, nor certainly anyone else reading this.

• Cannolo
    Cannolo
    Community Member

If I did post the same, copied text multiple times, I was not aware of it and it was not my intention. In any case, please accept my apology.

• Thanks for your reply, Ben. But this time it's you who's missing something. No one's asking you to comment on plans, future or not. If you don't want to comment on plans, don't prompt the question. Just take it down until you've made a plan. Again, why is it visible?

You're absolutely right. I'm definitely missing something here. What question? Where are we prompting a question? Would you please be able to post a screenshot of what you're referring to?

▷ How to take a screenshot

If I did post the same, copied text multiple times, I was not aware of it and it was not my intention. In any case, please accept my apology.

It is possible that there was a problem with the forum that caused your post to appear multiple times. If it wasn't intentional then no harm, no foul. Apology accepted either way. I'm hopeful that we can get to the bottom of whatever it is that is causing you difficulties w/r/t Suggested Items.

Ben

• yeffdaley
    yeffdaley
    Community Member

I'm also confused by this feature and would like to see it removed or improved.

I always expect to be able to click it to create a new login, but instead it's just ... there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @yeffdaley! Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this. I don't know what version of 1Password 7 for Mac you're on, but from the sound of it, it's the stable version (7.2.5). We've been making some changes in the beta channel, so if you're curious to see whether those will fit in more with your idea of how you'd like 1Password to work (or not work!), I'd encourage you to click Preferences > Updates and check the "Include beta builds" box. Let us know what you think! :)

• livingaa
    livingaa
    Community Member

Hi! I'm also coming here to raise my hand for this being an issue - I've been confused by it for a while now, but now that I'm positive that it doesn't really do anything other than cause confusion, I'd also love for it to be gone/renamed to something like "No login for this site"/something else even more useful :) Right now, it is just super confusing!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @livingaa! Thanks for weighing in on this topic. :) I don't have anything to share regarding changes to this just now, but thanks for letting us know your wishes.

• poshboy
    poshboy
    Community Member

Adding my vote for this being confusing. I've seen suggested items pop up even when I have a login for the site that is open... see screenshot as an example with 1Password 7.3. The URL in the browser is exactly the one in the suggested login item, but 1Password still won't fill in the login information. Clicking the suggested item does nothing: it does not fill in the information nor does it take me to the item in the Vault (which would be at least partly useful). So, I can't see the point of the suggestion, nor can I see why 1Password simply doesn't populate the information in this case?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@poshboy: I'm not sure I follow. What's being suggested? That's what's supposed to happen if there are more than one item that is a match: 1Password lets you choose which one. You've cut out all the important bits, and I can't really answer your question without knowing what's being suggested. ;) You should be able to double-click the item in the list or single-click the "Autofill" button on the right to fill it.

• poshboy
    poshboy
    Community Member

@brenty: Sorry, had to cut out the rest as it was credit card information; being super cautious.

There are no duplicate matches for this site: there is exactly one item that contains the URL for the site I was trying to log into. There are other items with similar names but I don't think 1Password matches on item names? Indeed, I've just repeated this test on a different machine (though sync'd to the same vault) and didn't get offered this suggestion, which I take to show that there isn't a duplicate item in the vault, and that 1Password is using the URL not item names? Strange that two machines with the dame vault behave differently though.

However, when I hit this problem on the weekend, the only suggestion that was offered was as shown in the screen shot. All the other items in the 1Password window were credit card entries. That is, even if 1Password had detected multiple matching items, it was not displaying them, nor was it possible for me to select one of the possibilities to fill in. I couldn't even see the "suggested" item a list. Clicking the suggested item didn't fill in the associated credentials, nor did it present the suggested item in a list that I could select/open.

The suggestion is therefore pretty useless in my workflow - it shows me nothing more than 1Password has matched something, but I'm unable to see the detail, and unable to request that information be populated into the website. I was stumped about how to proceed. (So even if there is the ability to view and fill the information, I would suggest the user interface is unclear)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@poshboy: No worries! I totally understand, and if you'd included any sensitive information in your post I would have had to remove it anyway. I just meant seeing the whole window, even with some details obscured, might have told me more. :)

To be clear, 1Password should not offer you Suggestions for a website based on a name. It should show you Login items that match the current URL, and then Credit Card and/or Identity items based on what it sees on the page...or both if it cannot determine which are usable there.

As far as details, you can view them by selecting a specific item on the left, so that its details are shown on the right.

Do you have multiple Login items with the URL for that website saved in 1Password? And, if so, and they're not showing up when you open 1Password there in your browser, do you maybe have some in hidden vaults, or have "Display" set to "Never suggest in browser" set for them when editing?

• Dudde
    Dudde
    Community Member

Before the update to 7.3 when i opened 1p mini to login on aws, for which i have about 70+ logins and i choosed the correct account it pasted the email or username to login with. After that you will come to where you can fill in your password and i open 1password mini again it would load up with the same account i previously logged in with. Now in 7.3 after i have pasted my username/email and click next where i will paste my password 1p mini will load from start again. In other word i will have to scroll down and find the correct account for the password again. I got pretty lazy with how i before could CMD+ backslash find account, double click. press next and CMD+backslash enter two times and I was logged in. Would love for the old way to come back.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dudde - thanks for reporting this. I'm not quite sure what happened to this ability; it appears to be either an unintended regression or the change was made for reasons I'm not aware of yet. Unfortunately, with several of us out at WWDC just now, I'm not able to get a definitive answer on it immediately. As a result, I've filed an issue internally so it will either be addressed or we'll learn what the reason for it is. Thanks again! :)

ref: apple-3787

• Dudde
    Dudde
    Community Member

Thanks for the response and I'm happy to hear that it's still hope for this feature ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The future is always bight, thanks to feedback from you and other awesome 1Password users. Thanks for bringing this up! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.