How to add a field to a login item?

It appears the most recent version no longer fills in fields correctly on one site I use (https://totalaccess.adp.ca/). The login page has 3 required fields; userid, pwd, client #. When I autofilled, the userid field got the client #, pwd was correct, and the client field was left blank.

In my login item the username had been set to the client # somehow. I fixed that but can't figure out how to add the client # as a 3rd field.
When I look at the saved webform details all 3 fields are represented correctly. user is still correct, despite the wrong value being in the username field above, and pwd and client # are both present and correct.

How do I update the login item to include the 3rd field?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1P Account

Comments

• broken42
    broken42
    Community Member

I should add that I fixed the username by assigning the "head" icon back to the user field in the webform details.

• The three fields on that form should be named user, PASSWORD, and clientNum. The easy way to get that info is to delete the URL from your existing entry so that the browser extension will offer to save a new entry for you.

Incidentally, thanks for bringing the form details feature to my attention – I hadn't known what it was for until now!

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

Hi there, @broken42 and @gedankenexperimenter! :)

I believe the easiest way to handle sites with multiple fields is to Save a login manually. If you already have a login item for the site, you'll be prompted to update it instead of creating a new one.

Give it a go and let me know how it goes. :)

• Thanks for the pointer. That's certainly easier than the first thing I tried (searching the HTML for the input field names)!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@gedankenexperimenter I'm glad Sebastian's pointer helped, but I want to mention something that we have in recent versions of 1Password and that's the ability to fill some custom fields from items. Here's a test Login I created that filled just fine:

This isn't something we've documented yet and depending on the situation, it could still require you spelunking into the DOM to find an id or name attribute, but in many cases, we're able to match it up just based on the label of the field. I'd love for you to give it a try and see if things work for you as well.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Olympia, WA

• broken42
    broken42
    Community Member

I foolowed the mnual login steps and evrything now seems to work. While the login item still consists of only 2 fields, the 3rd clientnum field is now populating correctly, even though only captured in the webform details.
    I'll give the "Other Fields" approach a go as well.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @broken42,

I'm glad 1Password is filling all the required fields for you. If you find a site that 1Password doesn't work with even after this please let us know.

• kendalllister
    kendalllister
    Community Member

Sorry to piggy-back on this issue, but I'm having similar difficulty with another ADP site: https://secure.adppayroll.com.au/Portal/

It also requires three login items: clientID, userID and PASSWORD based on the page's source.

My 1Password entry has all three of these values in the Web Form section, but only fills the userID and PASSWORD items automatically. If I ask it to fill the form manually, it successfully fills the clientID item as well.

I have tried manually saving a new login from the filled-in page, but the new login has the same problem.

I can provide more details if you need them - thanks.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kendalllister – no worries at all! That's exactly what the forum is for. :)

I appreciate you reporting this to us. I just tried to recreate the error on my end, and the fields filled properly for me. When you created the Login manually, did you use the steps laid out on our support page? Those are the exact steps I used, so go ahead and try that if you haven't already.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'm wondering what version of 1Password you're using. Since the web is constantly changing, we're constantly updating 1Password's filling algorithm to keep up. If you're using an outdated version of 1Password, there's a chance that the filling algorithm in my version is different than yours. Let me know!

• kendalllister
    kendalllister
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn, thanks for replying.

I'm using the current version of the Chrome extension, v1.14.3. I followed the instructions on that page several times, both in Chrome on Windows and Safari on mac OS. The behaviour I get now with my existing entry for the site in my Trash and the new entry created using the manual login save method is:

On Chrome for Windows with the Chrome extension, when I visit the ADP page the user name and password fields are automatically filled in, but the client number isn't filled in until I right-click in the field and select 1Password then select the entry that is presented (pressing Ctrl-\ doesn't seem to work any more - should it?).

On Safari for mac OS, when I visit the ADP page no fields are automatically filled in (should they be?), but when I press Cmd-\ all three fields are filled in, which is good.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@kendalllister - you'll need to use Safari or another browser in which you're using the 4.7.3.90 extension and NOT 1Password X, which is what you're using in Chrome. There is no manual login save process in 1Password X currently. But like kaitlyn, I just followed those instructions and was not only able to successfully save the login using Safari and also fill it there, but also then fill it in Chrome (where I use 1Password X). In short: it works.

Which makes me wonder why it's NOT working for you. Try saving manually from a version of our extension where you can use those steps, then see if it works. If you don't have or don't want to use any other browsers, you could even do all this in Chrome, by installing the standard ("desktop app required") extension and disabling 1Password X, using the "desktop app required" extension to do the manual save, then disabling that and re-enabling 1Password X to verify. Let us know if you're still having problems.

• kendalllister
    kendalllister
    Community Member

Hi @lars, thanks for replying. Following the instructions to manually save a login has indeed created a login entry that can fill all three fields when I tell 1Password to do so, but I already had that. My question is: when I visit the login page, two of the the three fields are filled automatically without me doing anything - should the third field also be filled, or is it not supposed to be filled until I right-click in the field, select "Show 1Password" and then select the login entry to fill?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kendalllister - sorry for the confusion. You say "when I visit the login page." What do you mean, specifically? When you type the URL into your browser? When you click a link to it from some other application? When you click "Go & Fill" from within 1Password -- and from the main app or from 1Password X?

If you're visiting the page by typing in the URL manually or clicking a link from somewhere else, 1Password shouldn't fill anything because it hasn't been part of the path, and we don't fill data unless you instruct us to. "Automatic autofill" is something we consciously choose not to do, for security reasons. "Manual autofill" (where you click from within 1Password, and 1Password opens the URL and then fills), should happen. Can you clarify what specific steps you're taking?

• kendalllister
    kendalllister
    Community Member

In that case, I'm sorry, I think I have been confusing Chrome's password-filling function for 1Password's :(

When I visit the page by typing the address in Chrome, the user name and password are automatically filled and highlighted with a light blue that I can now see is very similar to but not quite the same as the colour 1Password uses to highlight fields it has filled. I thought Chrome used a yellow highlight, but I guess it doesn't now, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/avowyo/autofill_colours_changed_to_blue_from_yellow_how/

I disabled the 1Password X extension and the password is still auto-filled, so that seems to confirm my mistake.

Thank you taking the time to explain that 1Password wouldn't be auto-filling - that helped me to realise what was really happening.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@kendalllister - you're quite welcome! Glad you got it sorted out. Autofill is something we've had plenty of questions about over the years, precisely because one of the main points of a password manager is not just security but also convenience. A security product that you find difficult or cumbersome to use...you won't use. So we've taken a significant amount of time to craft things like filling and saving logic, etc. And because some of our competitors do have what we refer to as "automatic autofill," we get requests for it from time to time. There's no doubt it saves time and looks cool, so why don't we incorporate it into 1Password? As our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, jpgoldberg observes in this blog post on the subject:

Because of security concerns we are disinclined at this time to offer, even as an option, the feature you (and so many others) are asking for. […] but I do want to give you an overview of our reasoning for what might seem like an odd choice.

Automatically filling a web form with no user intervention other than visiting the page can, if combined with something that works around the anti-phishing mechanism [of 1Password], lead to an attack where lots your usernames and passwords are submitted to a malicious site in a way that is silent and invisible to you.

There's a much more detailed explanation at that link, so I urge you to read it, if you're interested (and it will also reinforce why we strongly recommend users turn off their browser(s)’ built-in password manager(s).

This discussion has been closed.