How to reorder (or at least sort) vaults?

williamporter
williamporter
Community Member

We have a families account. In my, um, account "space", I have defined six vaults. This is very useful. But it becomes an annoyance at times. I wish I could order to the six vaults and have the order "stick" everywhere.

Right now in 1Password.app and in our 1Password web app dashboard where I see all the vaults, they sort like this:

1. Personal
  2. Daughter
  3. Mom
  4. Obsoletes
  5. Work
  6. Family (shared)

Obviously, NOT alphabetical. If I click on "Vaults" in the sidebar on the right (under my account name and the cheery "Good morning!") I can sort by name, but it doesn't seem to affect the presentation of the vaults anywhere else.

It's a problem for me mainly in my browser. When I type Cmd-\ (backslash) on my Mac to invoke the contextual menu created by the browser extension, I want 99% of the time to get to either Personal or Work, and I wish I could type Cmd-1 and Cmd-2 respectively for those.

Will

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: macOS X 10.13
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:sort vaults

Comments

• Hi @williamporter,

There's currently no way to sort the list of vaults in our apps beyond what you've found (ordering them in the list of vaults in the management side of things).

Can you help me understand why All Vaults doesn't "just work" in your scenario?

Rick

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Rick,

Wow, that was a quick response! Thanks.

You ask why "All Vaults" doesn't work for me. Thanks for asking that question, as it is easier to answer than the other one you could have asked (see below). The answer is: For about half a dozen websites that I log into frequently (Google, ProtonMail, Amazon, banks) I have many accounts — I confess, TOO many. Many of them aren't even my logins: they're old client logins that I have stored. That's part of the reason that I created a special vault called 'Obsoletes'. I put into that vault items that I don't want to trash because I don't want them eventually to disappear; but I don't really want to see them again either. This is per AgileBits' suggestion in this thread from 2016. Anyway, when I go to login, viewing only logins in my Personal vault (say) means I only see a couple logins and one of them is usually the one I want. If I view "All Vaults" on the other hand, I see a few logins -- perhaps NOT including the one I want -- and a little gray note from 1Password saying "View 11 more items...". Not efficient. If I type Cmd-5 to switch to my work vault, I usually will find nothing but the one login I'm looking for.

(By the way, the ability to do all of this with keyboard shortcuts is one reason I prefer 1Password to LastPass.)

Now for the question you did NOT ask: Why doesn't the existing sort order work for me? Well it does work, just awkwardly. I've learned that Personal is Cmd-1 and Work is Cmd-5. But (a) Cmd-5 is more awkward to type than Cmd-2, which is what I'd use if I could reorder the vaults in a custom fashion; and (b) the apparently random sort order offends my sense of, um, tidiness. Nobody who glances at the chaos of my office would believe I could be this fastidious with data, but I am. ;)

Now, after getting your reply, I thought about things a little more. I finally realized that you DO sort the vaults. The sort criteria escaped me earlier but it's obvious now.

1. Personal (default?) vault first
    2. Other non-shared vaults, in alpha order
    3. Shared vaults (presumably also in alpha order)

And THIS has allowed me to do a little housecleaning. I've moved my Obsoletes folder to the bottom of the list by renaming it "Z Obsoletes". So Work is now Cmd-4, which is a little better. On the other hand, that "Z Obsoletes" is kind of ugly. Maybe I'll rename all my non-shared vaults.

Will

• Thanks for elaborating on that @williamporter. The answer to the second question seemed pretty obvious to me, which is why I went with the first.

You're right that the sort order is: Personal, Custom Vaults (ordered alphabetically), Shared. And so you can do as you did.

I have a better solution for you though. If you go into 1Password for Mac's preferences, there's a pane for All Vaults. There you can actually kick out the Obsolete vault from All Vaults. This way you can end up staying in All Vaults more and not having to switch just to filter the list. That's how I personally use All Vaults, where it has only the vaults which contain items that I'm likely to use. For the other 1% of the time I'm OK with switching vaults manually.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Thanks again, Rick.

I've taken your tip and kicked my mother's vault and the vault for my daughter out of "All Vaults" and that does help a little. If I clean more stuff out of Personal, that'll help even more. So thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try.

Is there a way to RENAME a vault in 1Password.app? I know how to do it in the browser app; but looks like it's not possible in 1Password.app....

Have to admit that I had completely misunderstood the purpose of the "All Vaults" panel in preferences. Well, better to say I never really understood what that meant. I always thought that it somehow meant which vaults were active in 1Password. If I understand you now, that panel defines which vaults' contents are displayed when you select "All Vaults." It's a DISPLAY thing. I didn't understand what "Vaults Included" meant. Seems to me the problem is in the use of the term "All Vaults." To me, "All" means "All". But the whole point of the All Vaults panel now appears to be to turn "All" into "Only Some". Dunno what term would be better but pretty sure another term might clarify things. "Main Group" or something like that.

Thanks again.

Will

• Is there a way to RENAME a vault in 1Password.app? I know how to do it in the browser app; but looks like it's not possible in 1Password.app....

Unfortunately not. Not yet at least. We want to bring all of that functionality down to the apps in time.

Regarding the naming of All Vaults, you're absolutely right... its name isn't quite right. But yet we haven't found a better name for it. Originally when we first built it, it very much was "All Vaults" in that it contained the contents of all of the vaults and there was no configuration for it. It took us about 2 days of using it internally to realize that this wouldn't work in reality (ideas always seem simpler in theory than in the real world). So we added the ability to kick things out of there which made it much nicer to deal with, but then it made the name not quite right. We still like the name "All Vaults" in what it represents, but it's not technically accurate.

Naming is half the challenge of writing software.

Rick

• muuvmuuv
    muuvmuuv
    Community Member

Hey @rickfillion, I came here because I searched for a way to sort my vaults. In my case I have:

• Personal (personal stuff)
    • [A company] (A company I'm working in that does not have any password managers)
    • Business (my business)
    • Customers (my customers)
    • [A project] (password a project I'm working on)

For me it would make much more sense to have it like that: Personal, Business, Customers, Projects, Company

I use 1P a lot and use the macOS app very often with the cool CMD+[vault number] feature and it makes no sense for me that CMD+1 is the company vault where Business should be.

Anyway I think it's a great feature

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think everyone will have slightly different preferences with regard to ordering. Hopefully we'll be able to make it flexible in the future. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)

• cabello
    cabello
    Community Member

I used Dropbox on ⌘1 and my company personal vault on ⌘2 and every other shared company vault on ⌘3 to ⌘8. After updating 1Password to latest things got flipped, now ⌘8 is my Dropbox, is quite frustrating for me because I have several Google Accounts and Amazon and many other credentials that conflict with each other, I thought the shortcuts were very handy but I can seen to go back to the original setup.

• Sorry for the inconvenience @cabello. You are correct that this isn't currently customizable.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.