1Password keeps asking me to enable it in Safari

2»

Comments

• davewood77
    davewood77
    Community Member

I too have this problem. At present I ignore it as the safari extension is enabled and seems to work fine. I could do without the message though.
    1Password 7.2.2
    MacOS 10.14.2
    Safari 12.0.2
    Safari extension 7.2.2

• Hi folks,

We were able to track down why this is happening and plan to have a fix in place for the next release. Apologies for the annoyance.

Ben

• ayembee
    ayembee
    Community Member

Snap; also happening here. Latest 1Password (7.2.4), latest Mojave (10.14.2). Just upgraded my parents' iMac to 1Password7 from the previous version (paid license, not subscription), and now seeing this notification regularly... :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ayembee: Just to make sure we're on the same page, have you enabled it in Safari? Does it show that it is there, not disabling?

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

My wife ran a 1Password updater earlier in the week. I assumed this would contain the fix for this issue. Has there been a release to address this problem? We are still on....

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.5.BETA-0 (70205000)
    AgileBits Beta

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davidboone - not yet, looks like this one was delayed. Stay tuned, however! :)

• punintended
    punintended
    Community Member

Adding myself:
    macOS Mojave 10.14.2
    1Password 7 7.2.4 from the agile bits store
    1Password extension 7.2.4

Been occurring for several months, but been waiting to see a positive solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Safari 12 and the Safari App Extension were only shipped three months ago, so that can't be right. But if you're on the beta you'll be among the first to get changes we make in this area to work around some of these idiosyncrasies with the new Safari.

• larsenwork
    larsenwork
    Community Member

So how does one get rid of the notification without enabling it?

I use Chrome and 1Password for work/dev stuff
    I use Safari and keychain for private stuff

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@larsenwork - is the Safari App Extension enabled in Safari 12 already?

• larsenwork
    larsenwork
    Community Member

No, I do not want to enable it. I'd prefer if the extension wasn't there

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@larsenwork - well, you certainly don't have to enable it, but that's literally one of the core functions of 1Password (or in fact nearly all password managers): helping users to fill data into websites automatically. I appreciate that this is not how YOU want to use it, but those pop-ups exist if you've not enabled the extension because the assumption is that someone who hasn't enabled it wants this functionality, and maybe either isn't aware they didn't enable it or possibly isn't clear on HOW to do so. I don't think we'll be disabling that prompt. However, it should be easy enough to dismiss by clicking "close." You can also UN-check "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" in Preferences > Browsers; that should remove the occasional pop-up to enable the extension.

• Hanadark0
    Hanadark0
    Community Member

I too do not wish to incorporate 1P into Safari. I have it installed for other reasons and most importantly FFox use. For Safari I simply prefer to use Keychain. It works and works very well.

I am running 1Password 7
    Version 7.2.4 (70204000)

and being prompted a few times a day to enable the extension in Safari. NO!
    This is not wanted. How can we stifle this message once and for all?

Thanks

• casilingua
    casilingua
    Community Member

Help - all these solutions seem to rely on downloading another copy of 1password from the AgileBits site, but what if I have 1Password 7 from the app store, then what? I still like everyone else CANNOT GET THE EXTENSION WORKING. No matter how many times I delete it and try and get it to work it won't. There is NO browser extension 7.2.2 available for download anywhere. What used to be a simple, efficient clean and effective app has become a nightmare. All because Apple have changed the browser extension protocols? Surely you can do better than this? I'm left with an app whose function is severely compromised.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Hanadark0: It's something we may add. But our priority is to avoid people not knowing how to use 1Password in their browser, since that's by far what most people want/expect.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@casilingua: I'm not sure what you're referring to. Whether you get 1Password 7 from our website or the Mac App Store, the Safari extension is built into it. What macOS, Safari, and 1Password versions do you have installed currently, and what do you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions? A screenshot would be great. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• casilingua
    casilingua
    Community Member

Well, I had the same problem everyone has - installing the browser and being told that it can't find the app. Deleting the browser extension and trying again only repeated the problem. On these pages the advice is to delete 1Password and reinstall from the AgileBits site. My enquiry above was whether this is of any use if one's version of the app comes not from AgileBits but from a subscription ownership via the  Store. In the end I deleted the app and reinstalled from the  Store and it worked. But I would warn any users of MacKeeper that for some reason it's "clean junk files" function strips the browser of the extension!

Anyway sorted by deleting and reinstalling from the Store. Thanks for the quick response

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@casalingua - I'm glad reinstalling 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store seems to have solved your issue. To be clear, there IS no additional extension to install into Safari like there has been in previous versions. If you have Safari 12 (on any version of macOS that can run it, not just Mojave) and any version of 1Password from 7.2 onward, you will have the new Safari App Extension. And it is installed along with the app itself (which will remove any older versions of 1Password's Safari extension).

Interesting find with regard to MacKeeper -- I consider that particular piece of software of dubious value, and if it's removing the Safari App Extension from 1Password 7 for Mac that's even more reason to be skeptical.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ironically, deleting the Safari extension from 1Password's app bundle would also break integration with other browsers since 1Password's code signature would no longer be valid due to the missing files. :dizzy:

• dvinton
    dvinton
    Community Member

Hello, I have the same problem. This annoyance has been ongoing for some time. I keep 1Password updated religiously, now on 7.2.4 and I use Safari exclusively. Since there is no 1Password Safari extension this implies there's still a defect?

• punintended
    punintended
    Community Member

Still occurring here. The only trend I’ve noticed is that it regularly occurs when my wife has been logged in as a separate user on our Mac and I switch to my account. Even though I’m prompted to enable, the extension is already enabled in Safari preferences.

• Hi @dvinton

Since there is no 1Password Safari extension this implies there's still a defect?

There is a 1Password Safari extension. It is built into the 1Password 7 app. You can enable it in Safari > Preferences > Extensions. The version that appears should be the same version of 1Password that you have installed.

Ben

• @punintended

Still occurring here. The only trend I’ve noticed is that it regularly occurs when my wife has been logged in as a separate user on our Mac and I switch to my account. Even though I’m prompted to enable, the extension is already enabled in Safari preferences.

Hmm. Thanks for the additional information. I'll pass that along.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@punintended - this issues of being prompted to install the extension (when it is already installed) while fast user switching was addressed in version 7.2.5.BETA-1. You should be able to upgrade to this version by checking the "include beta builds" box in Preferences > Updates if you like, or you can wait for the stable release which shouldn't be too much longer, presuming nothing truly unusual delays it. Hope that helps! :)

• dvinton
    dvinton
    Community Member

Ben, Lars, thanks for the replies. Ben, thanks for the clarification on 1P's Safari extension. I have visited, several times, Safari's extension settings when the enabling message displayed. 1P was always enabled. I did toggle it a couple of times w/no change. Unless there's something more you need from me I'll standby for the next release.

• tommylondon
    tommylondon
    Community Member

Hi there, this happens to me every time I log in to my computer too (Mojave 10.14.12). It's every time the computer is rebooted or, as @punintended points out, if logging in as another user.

It's very frustrating and hasn't been resolved by uninstalling/reinstalling 1Password or having updates automatically enabled (they already are).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dvinton - did you install the beta and are still having the problem? Or are you waiting for it to be available in the stable channel? If you installed the beta, please make sure you lock, then fully quit 1Password and Safari and restart your Mac. If it's still happening, let us know.

@tommylondon - I'll point you to the beta update as well -- regular updates will not get you this fix; you'll have to turn on "Include beta builds" in Preferences > Updates. If you've already done that, updated to the most-recent beta (7.2.6.BETA-0) and restarted your Mac, and it's still happening, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.