Upgrading a standalone licensed version of 1Password from 4.6.2.626 to 7.3

Options
Alliswell
Alliswell
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi All,

I have an old desktop version 4.6.2.626 that I purchased with a license of 1Password on Win10. I want to upgrade to the latest version. However, is 7.3 version not a standalone version that I can use on my iPhone and iPad.

Is it only with a monthly subscription? Can I purchase a standalone version for my PC? Also is there a limit of the amount of files and information that you can have in your vault?

If I install 7.3 and let the software convert my file can I convert it back. Will I lose everything? Also, if it is a monthly billing and you do it for 1 yr and decided not subscribe for the next year do you have access to your vault?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the help in advance

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows10
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alliswell,

Thank you for getting in touch and your interest in 1Password 7 for Windows!

1Password 7 for Windows is a new purchase for the owners of 1Password 4. You can either purchase a new license or sign up for a 1Password account.

You can purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 from within the app, but I would recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password account. A 1Password account includes all the apps for all the platforms including the iOS and Android Pro features, web access and free upgrades. If you use a 1Password account we host your 1Password data so no sync setup is necessary. You can learn more about the benefits of 1Password accounts here:

About 1Password membership

If your subscription lapses, your account will become frozen. You will still be able to view your items and copy your items outside of your account (you will always have access to your data), but 1Password functionality will be limited. Learn more:

If your 1Password account is frozen

Let me know if it answers your questions. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Alliswell
    Alliswell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick response.

Also is there a limit of the amount of files and information that you can have in your vault?

How much is the license?

If you are hosting my data. How secure is it? That is a ton of users passwords.

If I install 7.3 and let the software convert my file can I convert it back. Will I lose everything? Can you point me to some instructions?

Thanks again.

• Alliswell
    Alliswell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick response.

Also is there a limit of the amount of files and information that you can have in your vault?

How much is the license?

If I install 7.3 and let the software convert my file can I convert it back. Will I lose everything? Can you point me to some instructions?

Also is possible for me to have both a subscription and a licensed standalone one.

Thanks again.

• Hey, @Alliswell!

There isn't, except for Document items. There's a 1GB limit for those with a 1Password membership.

How much is the license?

A standalone license for 1Password 7 is currently $49.99, but that is our launch special pricing and will end at some point down the line. A 1Password membership (which includes all of the apps across all of your devices, as well as future upgrades), is $35.88/year or $3.99/mo for an individual. We have family and business options as well, if you have family or teammates you want to securely share items with.

Security is our absolute number one priority and always has been. Just like when you sync a standalone vault via Dropbox, your data is fully encrypted end-to-end. We don't know your Master Password, it's never sent anywhere, and it's not stored anywhere on our server. Only you know it. Plus, since we do know our servers would be attractive targets, your data is also encrypted with your Secret Key with a 1Password membership. Like your Master Password, your Secret Key is created locally on your machine, never sent to us, and not stored anywhere on our servers. It makes the encryption for your data stronger so that even if you have a weak Master Password, it's still incredibly difficult (if not impossible, given current computing powers) for anyone to unlock your data. This means that if someone did manage to hack our servers, everything they obtained would be totally useless without first attacking you directly to snag those keys. You can learn more about your Secret Key here and get a general overview of our hosted serivce's security design here. If you're interested, we've also published a technical white paper covering that security design here.

If you install 7.3 and open your standalone vault, it will convert your data to the OPVault format. You can convert it back, but you don't need to in order to go back to 1Password 4 – 1Password 4 supports OPVault, it just doesn't require that data format like 1Password 7 does. If you choose a 1Password membership instead, you can go back to a standalone vault as well, in either 1Password 7 or 1Password4. If you chose to keep using 1Password 7, but went back to a standalone vault, though, you would need to either keep your account open and signed in or purchase a standalone license to license the app. You can find instructions to return to a standalone vault from a 1Password membership here.

Also is possible for me to have both a subscription and a licensed standalone one.

Absolutely. A 1Password membership includes access to standalone vaults, so you wouldn't be required to purchase a standalone license in addition to your membership. That said, you totally can if you'd like to. As I mentioned above, you do need to have your account signed in to license the app if you choose to go with just a 1Password membership, but where your data is stored depends only on how you set up your vaults. Anything in a vault connected to your account will be synced via our servers, anything in a standalone vault you create in the app is stored locally only by default and can be synced via the third-party service of your choice. Personally, I find choosing one or the other to be simpler, but I know folks who use both and that's totally okay.

I hope this helps, but if you have additional questions, just let us know. :chuffed:

• Alliswell
    Alliswell
    Community Member
    Options

First thanks for all of the answers to my questions. The support is fabulous. I have upgraded for a trial version and I see my standalone and my converted new vault is there. I can remove the standalone at anytime it seems and reimport it if I choose to do so. Going to check it out for the next 30 and go from there. Also it seems if you sign up when you get the app it is offering 50% for the year so how could I get that deal.

Thanks again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Alliswell: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :chuffed: I am sorry I missed one of your questions.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.