When changing the password in browser a second entry is created?

Actually I try to change some passwords with the help of the chrome extension in Vivaldi. When changing a password the extension asks to update the entry in 1Password. If I click "UPDATE" then the password in the "old" entry is changed and additionally there is a second login created which only contains the new password for the website.

I have to manually delete the newly created entry because I don't need it. The password is changed in the "old" entry too.

Why the second entry is created? Is this a bug? Or is there a setting for disabling this behaviour?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro x64 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @DenalB,

Thank you for the detailed post! It is really appreciated.

When you generate a password with the help of a password generator in 1Password extension, it is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. It works as a backup plan, if you happen not to save a Login item you generated a password for. After that, when you select All Items view in 1Password, you will see those password items alongside your Login items. This is normal and intentional for the moment. If you saved all of your needed passwords as Logins, it is safe to delete the passwords in Passwords category.

We want to add an automatic cleanup function to remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item. We also want to add an extra manual tool to let you clean up old password items that follows the same rule.

Please let me know if it answers your question. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Greg ,

Thanks for your detailed information. So I know that it is not a bug and it is safe to delete these entries.

"We want to add an automatic cleanup function to remove any redundant password items after you create a new Login item with the same website/password combination as the password item. We also want to add an extra manual tool to let you clean up old password items that follows the same rule."
    This sounds very good and I think this is helpful. Actually I want to generate new passwords for all my 400 entries and so I have to delete 400 new entries after changing the password.

But it's good to know that you are aware of this and have future plans for this. ;)

Thx,
    Dennis

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@Greg
    Actually I work with Firefox and 1Password X, because on this computer I'm not allowed to use the desktop app. I just changed some passwords and now no extra entries for the passwords were created. :|

Is this only a problem when using the windows desktop app in combination with the 1Password extension?

• Hey, @DenalB! You're correct, this is only an issue with the companion extension. 1Password X still saves a password generator history for the same reasons Greg mentioned, but that's kept separate and they don't show up as actual items. Instead, you'll see a "generator history" option in the Password Generator tab in the extension pop-up with a chronological list. I actually really love this implementation. It avoids the potential pitfalls of automated cleanup, but still doesn't cause clutter by retaining obsolete Password items I have to tidy up myself. At the moment, the companion extension doesn't do anything with your data (purposefully so, for security reasons) so the desktop app has to handle it which means we can't do something similar just yet, but as we continue to consider options for Password items, I'd love to just see the end of them and hope we consider that as an option as well. :chuffed:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate . Thanks for your information. I'm looking forward to what ever you develop. ;)

• It's no trouble at all, @DenalB! I'm looking forward to it too – I'm terminally disorganized so relying on me to keep things tidy isn't all that reliable and I'm anxious for something that takes care of such things for me. :wink:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate ! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! I am glad to hear that she answered your questions, while I was away. :)

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks @Greg ! ;)

• :chuffed: :+1:

• Jensen Gelfond
    Jensen Gelfond
    Community Member

Hi, I am running into this same issue in 1Password Windows. Whenever I generate a new password using the 1password extension (Chrome), not only does 1Password update the login as it should, it also generates an additional password which needlessly clutters 1Password and forces the additional step of deleting that password every time I change a website login password. Please fix this. 1Password should have AI that keeps it from generating that extra password if it has successfully updated the login with that password, or at the very least the password history should be saved somewhere that doesn't show up in the "all items" list - it is so inefficient when changing passwords using 1Password for Windows.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jensen Gelfond

Thank you for your feedback!

We are building 1Password 7 for Windows from the ground up, so we have a lot of catching up to do. This behaviour will be improved in the future.

By the way, if you have 1Password account, you can also try to use 1Password X. It works entirely in your browser and the workflow is slightly different there:

Get to know 1Password X

Let me know if it works better for you. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.