Why does 1password lock up for 10-30sec when unlocked?

Long time 1password user. I recently upgraded from v4 to v7 (I'm on the latest build is 7.3.657). Win 10 Build 1809.

I also have the mac version and the iOS app. Those are all working fine but windows has been problematic even with v4. I found that with v4, sometimes 1password would just refuse to fill (Chrome) so I upgraded to 7. I find that with 7, when I unlock 1password it takes FOREVER. CPU usage climbs high and it just sits there for anywhere between 10-15 seconds. I know that doesn't sound like a very long time but man is it annoying. My vault contains 1753 items, so its definitely not that big.

What can be done to diagnose why it locks up like that?

Other notes:

• with 1password 4, I found the first unlock of the app after rebooting windows to take VERY long. Subsequent unlocks are instantaneous
  • with 1password 7.3.657, I find that the unlocks are 10+ seconds if I lock my computer and walk away then come back a few hours later.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro Build 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @liam_retrams,

Thank you for getting in touch! It does sound strange, as we made some performance improvements in 7.3.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from 1Password 7 on your PC, where you have these issues:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

Cheers,
    Greg

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member

Done - just sent it through

• Thanks, @liam_retrams! I've found your e-mail and took a quick look and it does seem your syncs are taking quite a long time, which is likely the cause of the slowness you're seeing. That said, resolving this sort of issue for folks using standalone vaults was the focus of 7.3, so it shouldn't still be causing problems. As such, I've asked a teammate to take a closer look. In the meantime, though, I noticed you said you had about 1.7k items in your vault. Your diagnostics showed almost 1k more items than that. I'm wondering if that's because you have a bunch more items in your trash. Do you see a ton of stuff in the trash? If so, do you need to keep those items or would you be okay emptying it? I don't expect that to fully resolve your problem necessarily and we want 1Password to perform well even with quite a few items in the trash, but if you're okay emptying it, it may help a fair bit. If I'm right about why the item counts are so different, that will nearly half the items you're syncing, which will necessarily improve things, hopefully a fair bit.

If you do decide to empty the trash, let me know how things change (if at all). Otherwise, we'll take a deeper dive through your diagnostics and get back to you via e-mail as soon as we're able. :chuffed:

ref: MGU-18926-197

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Yes - I did empty them out but the issue persists.

I’ve found that it’s not just the unlock operation that makes the app unresponsive. Other things like updating a password seem to do it also.

• Thanks, @liam_retrams. Yea, that sounds like anything that triggers a sync is giving you trouble. Again, this is the issue 7.3 was meant to correct (and has for pretty much everyone I've worked with thus far) so it certainly seems something is amiss here. We'll take a deeper dive and get back to you with some additional ideas via e-mail as soon as we can. :chuffed:

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member

Hello,

Any update on this? In its current state 1password is virtually unusable on my Windows machine (which I don't use frequently but still).

Any sort of operation (even a fill) seems to trigger this "Sync" that completely locks up the UI for 10-15 seconds.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @liam_retrams,

We are investigating this issue right now. I sent an email to you just now, so please check your inbox and get back to us via email. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,

Thanks for your help. I have replied to your e-mail.

For those of you following along at home - we tried booting my box in Safe Mode w/ Networking to see if it helps - unfortunately it doesn't.

I also uninstalled my Anti-Virus (Sophos) - that didn't help.

What should be my next steps?

• Hi @liam_retrams,

It can slow down the resolution to your issue if we split the focus on your issue in two separate places with different folks working on this; let's keep this to your email for now, we'll reply to your email with the next steps.

We can both update this thread once we figure out what it is.

This discussion has been closed.