I can't get 1Password working on a replaced iPad Pro after restore from backup. This is URGENT!!!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited January 2019 in iOS

Apple just replaced my iPad pro as a method for replacing a failing battery. I successfully restored the iPad from an iTunes backup. Other programs seem fine but 1Password will not load.

I have a FAMILY license for Version 6 and am not interested in upgrading or incurring additional license fees. I want Agilebits to honor the license I purchased.

I'm CRIPPLED without 1PW functioning on my iPad - which functionally replaces my laptop!! This is URGENT please!!

If anyone knows how to use a phone, my number is [private information removed; this is a public forum].

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:need help with an account that says it is expired. I don't think it should be. Please Call

Comments

• Hi @PeterW

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

Other programs seem fine but 1Password will not load.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by that? What happens, exactly, when you try to install 1Password?

1Password on the iTunes App Store

I have a FAMILY license for Version 6 and am not interested in upgrading or incurring additional license fees. I want Agilebits to honor the license I purchased.

That would be either a 1Password 6 for Mac license, 1Password 6 for Windows license, or both. It isn't a 1Password for iOS license. It'll say on the license which product(s) and version it applies to. In any event, 1Password 7 for iOS can be used freely with basic functionality with 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It's a free download. More advanced features require either a 1Password membership or an in-app purchase for the Pro features:

(membership includes the Pro features)

If anyone knows how to use a phone, [...]

We don't provide support via telephone. Sorry. Also I've removed your phone number from your post. This is a public forum. Anyone can read everything you post here. Thanks.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

The 1PW icon on my screen is “dark” and, when I click on it to try a reload, I get a response that says
    “Unable to download App”
    “1Password - Password Manager”
    “Could not be downloaded at this time”

I’ve retried half a dozen times with the same result. I need access to my passwords URGENTLY!! Can you imagine not having ID/PW information for ALL of the sites and accounts you use on a regular basis????

• Please try restarting the iPad:

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Once restarted please try installing 1Password using the above link. Let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

The iPad has been restarted. Same result when tapping on the darkened 1PW icon. The only “above link” tells me how to re-start an iToy. Nothing about loading 1PW.

I’m still CRIPPLED for use of my iPad for most critical purposes.

• I'm sorry we haven't yet been able to resolve this difficulty for you. To be clear: you followed the directions in the article I posted to restart your "iToy?" The article isn't supposed to be about 1Password. It is supposed to be about restarting your iPad, which I need you to do in order to troubleshoot this issue. Please try one more time, following the instructions in Apple's article carefully.

If you did follow the instructions, and the iPad rebooted accordingly, then please try removing 1Password entirely from the iPad. Press and hold on the icon until all of the icons start jiggling. Then tap the x in the upper right-hand corner of the 1Password icon to remove it. Once it has been removed (the icon is no longer on the iPad) please try installing again using this link:

1Password on the iTunes App Store

If after that you're still having trouble then please post a screenshot showing what the 1Password icon looks like on the iPad at that point:

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I DO know how to restart my iPad and did so.

I deleted the application and, when I click on your link, I see a window for Password Manager AND a message that says it requires iOS 12 or higher. I’m running on the last version of 11. The Product Window in the store also speaks of a subscription.

I repeat, I do not wish to upgrade to a paid subscription. I just want to be able to use the license I already paid for.

Thank you.

• Ryan50jo
    Ryan50jo
    Community Member

I had the same problem as PeterW when moving from an old iPad Pro to a new iPad Pro. I used the backup from the old iPad Pro to restore onto the new one. The 1Password app was there, but it refused to accept my master password. The icon wasn't greyed out in my case, which is different from what PeterW reports. I deleted the 1Password app from the new iPad as Ben suggested. Then I downloaded the 1Password 7 app from the App Store. I was able to sign in with my master password.

This is frustrating since it is very common that users will restore onto a new iPad using a prior iPad's backup. 1Password should know that this makes it impossible to use their app, unless the app is deleted and download from the App Store again. I could not find it anywhere in the Support area of 1Password.com, except this single post.

This behavior is also happening with other apps, like the myVerizon app, I have found.

• @PeterW

1Password 7 requires iOS 12. You won't be able to install it on iOS 11. You'd need to upgrade to iOS 12 in order to proceed. If you had previously downloaded a prior version using your Apple ID you may be able to download that older version from the App Store:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

Ben

• @Ryan50jo

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble restoring your iPad from a backup. The difficulty you've described isn't a common one... On numerous occasions I've done just as you describe: upgraded to a new iPad by restoring the backup from the old one, without any such difficulty. I suspect perhaps it may have something to do with having an older version installed when the backup was made than what was available in the App Store at the time of the restore. That would be my best guess based on past experience and what I'm aware of as far as the way the App Store operates. I understand that explanation doesn't alleviate the frustration, and if we hear more cases of something like this happening we'll certainly have to consider what steps we can take on our end to address it, but in a lot of ways due to the nature of iOS we're beholden to processes that are designed and developed by a 3rd party (Apple).

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

So YOU dropped any ability to install the previous version!

That means I am forced into an iOS upgrade which I do NOT WANT - because that makes it incompatible with iTunes 12.6.3 - which still permits me to manage the APPS for SIX iToys with a single download - and on a much larger screen.

Apple screwed up - big time - when they took APPs management out of iTunes (without providing equivalent functionality in another program). But corporate IT people put their cojones in a vice to provide a fallback position - - which I am making use of.

AgileBits should provide a way for some of us to download the version of 1PW for iOS that WILL run under iOS 11.x.

FORCING an iOS upgrade is extremely BAD MANNERS!!!

Please don't bother to tell me this CANNOT be done. (I went to work for IBM in 1967 and have been working with computer systems ever since.) The only question is WILL YOU DO IT??

Please and thank you.

Peter

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

AND - - I do NOT WANT 1Password 7 if that forces me into a subscription relationship. I PAID for and I want AgileBits to HONOR a license for a program that does NOT require iOS 12 OR payment of a subscription.

It would appear that you have taken the previous version of 1PW for iOS OUT of the Apple Store!

I'll ask Apple if there's any way out of my dilemma - but I think I know THEIR answer already - - which will be something along the lines of ".... contact your developer."

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

The only question is WILL YOU DO IT??

We will not be adding compatibility for iOS 11, no.

AND - - I do NOT WANT 1Password 7 if that forces me into a subscription relationship.

1Password 7 does not require a subscription. On iOS it is a free upgrade. On Mac and Windows you would either need a 1Password membership (subscription), or a new 1Password 7 license for the platform(s) you want to use 1Password on.

Apple screwed up - big time - when they took APPs management out of iTunes (without providing equivalent functionality in another program)

I belive Apple Configurator does that.

Apple Configurator - Official Apple Support

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I wasn't asking for backward compatibility from newer versions - - just for AgileBits to make the previous version available. Doesn't have to be in the App store.

If I can't get this, I am FORCED to upgrade iOS on my iPad - - and, then, I might as well do it for all family iToys.

This is "exceedingly annoying" - to remain civilized here.

Are you saying that, in addition to changing iOS versions on my iPad, I will also have to change software on the Macs and PCs that are used to access our Vaults?? And are you saying I can do that without incurring ongoing licensing fees? Is AgileBits sufficiently presumptive as to change the format of our vaults??

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

I wasn't asking for backward compatibility from newer versions - - just for AgileBits to make the previous version available. Doesn't have to be in the App store.

We won't be doing that. Sorry. That said, as mentioned above, if you've previously downloaded an earlier version of 1Password on your Apple ID this guide may help:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

This is "exceedingly annoying" - to remain civilized here.

I understand you're frustrated, but that is going to be necessary if this conversation is going to continue.

Are you saying that, in addition to changing iOS versions on my iPad, I will also have to change software on the Macs and PCs that are used to access our Vaults??

No. I'm was outlining the options in case you wish to. Staying on an older version should be considered a temporary measure though, as previous versions are no longer being updated. It is highly advisable to keep up to date with all of your software, but especially with 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

And are you saying I can do that without incurring ongoing licensing fees?

On iOS you can upgrade to 1Password 7 without paying anything. On other platforms you'd need either a membership or a new license (separate purchase).

Is AgileBits sufficiently presumptive as to change the format of our vaults??

There are a few different formats 1Password data is stored in.

If you are syncing with Dropbox and aren't already using OPVault for the best compatibility it would make sense to switch to that. Other sync options utilize different formats for their sync files but that doesn't seem relevant here.

and, then, I might as well do it for all family iToys.

That would be our recommendation, yes.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I GIVE UP!! I have updated my iPad to iOS 12 and downloaded Password Manager.

IT gives me two options for "Already using 1Password?" - namely "1Password.com" and "iCloud". There's nothing about synching with DropBox.

This method of "Support" is entirely inadequate - - - but I NEED my 1PW functionality back on my iPad - - so what's next please??

Incidentally, I'm not seeing emails alerting me to your replies in this forum - - as used to happen.

• @PeterW

I have updated my iPad to iOS 12 and downloaded Password Manager.

Great!

IT gives me two options for "Already using 1Password?" - namely "1Password.com" and "iCloud". There's nothing about synching with DropBox.

If you scroll down on the welcome screen you'll see more options, including Dropbox.

This method of "Support" is entirely inadequate - - - but I NEED my 1PW functionality back on my iPad - - so what's next please??

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. We offer support via either this public forum or by private email. The forum is almost definitely going to get replies to you quicker as there is less volume here than the volume we handle by email, but if you'd prefer to switch to email please let me know and we can accommodate that.

Incidentally, I'm not seeing emails alerting me to your replies in this forum - - as used to happen.

Your notification preferences may be set such that you aren't notified unless I "mention" you (using @PeterW in my post). You can adjust these settings here, but I'll try to remember to mention you going forward:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Well - - that "not very obvious" solution seems to have worked. I can now see my 1Password Data. Now I'll just need to synch to my wife's vault again and I'll be right back where I was - - after almost a week of "back and forth" messages. What's NOT to like - - eh?!?!?

This was a very near thing Ben. I was just investigating the ability of Keeper and Dashlane to import 1Password data files. This experience has soured me somewhat on AgileBits and 1Password - after a loooong period of satisfaction. Still - it looks like I have the functionality I've already paid for back - so I see no reason to change at this point.

Thanks for your help.

• Well - - that "not very obvious" solution seems to have worked.

I agree that this is less obvious than one might like. The "trend," particularly with Apple designs, is to hide scrollbars until one is scrolling. This is true just about everywhere in macOS and iOS. This makes it less evident that scrolling is possible. It does seem we've lost some function in favor of form in this regard, but I doubt we'll see a reversal of this any time soon.

Thanks for your help.

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.