Purchase v7 Subscription Via Apple App Store - Any Conflict with Standalone V6 Currently Installed?

Options
Ice9ine
Ice9ine
Community Member

Greetings I'm a standalone v6.8.9 user on MacBook Pro with 2 IOS devices using 1Password Vault data files stored in iCloud and thus synced across all three 1Password devices.

I'd like to purchase the Annual Subscription Plan for v7 via the Apple App Store.

My questions are as follows:

1. Please confirm that the v7 Annual subscription will provide 1Password for MB Pro and all IOS Devices as part of the subscription plan.
  2. Can I still use iCloud as my storage location for 1Password Vault or must I switch to the v7 vault Storage/Sync platform hosted by AgileBits
  3. Will any 1Password functionality or vault conflict arise while I transfer from v6.8.9 standalone to v7 Subscription purchase via App Store?
  4. Is the 1 Password v6.8.9 Vault file converted to function under v7? If so, is the v7 vault file backward compatible to v6.8.9 in case of upgrade issues and the need to fallback to 6.8.9?
  5. Once v7 is purchased and installed on my MB Pro, how do I do the same for the IOS devices (ie, delete 1Password on iPhone, download latest v7 version from the iTunes store, install access 1PW vault stored on iCloud?
  6. Any other tips or suggestions too ensure a smooth transition to new version purchased via App Store?

I know this was a long post, but I'm sure there will be others with similar questions, so this will be helpful for all.

Thanks in advance and as I'm a long time 1Password User, I'm happy to pay the annual subscription to stay up to date as I'd purchase the version 7 upgrade either way.

Also, good work Agile1 Team! You folks do a great job supporting, enhancing and promoting the product.

1Password Version: v6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jcminnesota
    jcminnesota
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ice9ine. I have many of the same questions. I hope they will provide a detailed response. By the way I do understand that their cloud database is stored on Amazon servers.....I have no idea if that creates a vulnerability.....or a benefit over ICloud.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ice9ine and @jcminnesota! Happy to answer all of the questions here. :)

Please confirm that the v7 Annual subscription will provide 1Password for MB Pro and all IOS Devices as part of the subscription plan.

Yep, a 1Password account (created by 1Password 7 when you sign up for the subscription) covers all of our apps on all of your devices! That includes all your Macs and iOS devices.

Can I still use iCloud as my storage location for 1Password Vault or must I switch to the v7 vault Storage/Sync platform hosted by AgileBits.

With a 1Password account, your vault is securely stored in our servers and seamlessly synced to all your devices, without you even having to lift a finger. That's one of the biggest reasons to start paying for an account!

Will any 1Password functionality or vault conflict arise while I transfer from v6.8.9 standalone to v7 Subscription purchase via App Store?

When you upgrade from using 1Password 6 standalone to 1Password 7 with an account, the app will automatically take care of your vault and everything to prevent any conflicts. Once you're done switching to 1Password 7 + the subscription on your Mac, follow these quick steps on your other devices to get them connected to your new, seamlessly-syncing vault.

Is the 1 Password v6.8.9 Vault file converted to function under v7? If so, is the v7 vault file backward compatible to v6.8.9 in case of upgrade issues and the need to fallback to 6.8.9?

Yep, you're vault will be converted from a standalone vault (AgileKeychain or OPVault) to a shiny new vault inside your 1Password account. It'll work just fine in 1Password 6.8.9 too—in case you want to fall back to 1Password 6, you can simply delete 1Password 7, download 1Password 6, and sign into your account in 1Password 6! There's the magic of 1Password accounts :blush:

Once v7 is purchased and installed on my MB Pro, how do I do the same for the IOS devices (ie, delete 1Password on iPhone, download latest v7 version from the iTunes store, install access 1PW vault stored on iCloud?

As I already mentioned, to connect your iOS devices to your new account-synced vault, it just takes these three steps. No need to delete/reinstall the app or anything like that!

Any other tips or suggestions to ensure a smooth transition to new version purchased via App Store?

Make sure your old, standalone "Primary" vault is deleted off all of your devices! Then print out your Emergency Kit to make sure you're never locked out of your account. And of course, let me know if you need any help at all along the way!

• Ice9ine
    Ice9ine
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings Henry.

Thanks for the helpful and detailed answers!

I'll proceed with purchase of 1Password7 and vault migration.

Will update this thread if/as needed.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ice9ine you're most welcome! Let me know if you need any help along the way :)

• TiborK
    TiborK
    Community Member
    Options

Good questions, thanks Henry for the answers. While I would like many of the features and support that 1Password affords via the 7.0 version and the 1Password.account approach, for now I would strongly prefer NOT to use the online close to store passowords. Rather, i would like to use local WLAN sync. While I understand that 1Password 7, operating via the 1Password Account affords WLAN sync option, can you clarify/confirm that there an option to NOT upload/sync vault to the cloud? If so, how? Thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@TiborK sorry, I am not Henry, but I may be able to help. If you download the AgileBits store version of 1Password 7 (not the App Store version, which supports only the 1Password.com subscription service) you will have the option of buying a standalone licence. That will enable you to use entirely local sync (i.e. WLAN) without any of your data going into the Cloud. That is what I do using 1Password 7.

There's a helpful recent user post here setting out clearly the steps you have to follow when setting up 1Password 7 to avoid being lured into a trial subscription.

Stephen

• TiborK
    TiborK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_C, good information. I was aware of some that info, and will check out the link.

To clarify, i actually don't mind the subscription aspect per se (and in some ways, perhaps naively, I even prefer understand/support that approach and prefer establishing a 1Password account and subscription for more seamless updates etc). So I am fine with paying the monthly fee, and downloading 1Password 7 through the app store.

I just want to be able to select an option within the 1Password account subscription service that supports local WLAN sync only (rather than cloud). If that clarifies anything, will welcome your additional input. And also hope for @Henry to weigh in.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@TiborK:

I just want to be able to select an option within the 1Password account subscription service that supports local WLAN sync only (rather than cloud).

I've probably not completely understood that, sorry. However, the basics of the subscription service:

• require your 1Password data to be stored on the 1Password.com servers (i.e., effectively, in the Cloud);
    • do enable creation of local 1Password vaults—which, however, if you need to sync the data in those vaults, need your own local sync solution (like WLAN, Dropbox or iCloud).

There's just a little more information about local vaults when you have a 1Password.com subscription in this AgileBits post. However, the general idea of the subscription service is that you entrust your data to the AgileBits' servers and they take care of all your synchronisation needs in respect of that data. As such, AgileBits does not normally encourage creation of separate, locally stored vaults when you have a 1Password.com subscription.

Sorry if I continue to misunderstand what you mean! I'll step aside now and wait for an Real Expert to chime in...probably after the weekend. :)

Stephen

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiborK If you'd like, you can sign up for an account but only use it to cover the apps, and keep your data separate. To do that, sign up for an account on our website, then download 1Password 7 and sign in. Finally, set up a standalone vault (option in Advanced prefs to enable standalone vaults) then import your data into your Primary vault with one of the options in the File > Import menu. Finally, start syncing your Primary vault with WLAN following our guide here!

However, if you're paying for an account anyway, I'd recommend using it to its full potential (see all the benefits just over here)! If you have any concerns with this—security or otherwise—I'd be happy to discuss them and listen to your feedback!

• TiborK
    TiborK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for those last comments back in July, @Henry . I think that your suggestion may be what I do, so that I can support 1Password, get access to the latest updates, and yet keep my vault local and not on 1Password servers. I may at some point in the future then move to the full cloud version.

Can you also confirm if I can do this same approach with 1Password Families?

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TiborK - you can...but this is a setup we really don't recommend, as the potential for confusion and even data loss as a result is significant. In a 1Password Families setup, all of the benefits of the membership (with the exception of access to the apps without needing a license) are part of the membership itself. Things like the Shared vault, account recovery and the like will not be available except for data in the account's vaults.

This discussion has been closed.