Import from KeePass 2.39

Hi everybody,

it has been a while since I first gave 1Password a try (and it failed it) and since I have some trouble in getting KeePass to work on Apple-Devices, I would like to give it another try, this time with a family plan.
Last time, I had just a couple Passwords to migrate, so it would have been easy. But not now.
I now have one unique password and login-name for every service i use. Aproximately 400 by now.
So I do need a working migration path from KeePass 2.39 to 1Password or it will fail again.

My first attempt was a clear desaster, as all passwords from the exported CSV file from KeePass are used as username in 1Password. I am clearly not willing to fix each and every entry manually as I am not willing to migrate every entry manually.

Is there a reliable path to follow for migrate from KeePass to 1Password? Every post about that topic is more than one year old so there is probably any progress done.

I hope, you can provide me some good news.

Regards, Gabriel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @qwertzqwertz,

Thanks for writing in. When you tried it last time, did you use the Convert to 1Password tool from here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30286/mrcs-convert-to-1password-utility/p1

If no, please try the latest Testing Bits release from that thread, all improvements for KeePass export files will be in that release.

If it didn't help, please let @MrC know in that thread, he's more than happy to help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018

@qwertzqwertz ,

You can absolutely get your Keepass 2 XML export converted and imported into 1Password. Please use the 1.11 release in Testing Bits as @MikeT mentioned above. It contains a change you may want:

• keepass2: Changed group separator from :: to / so that it will nest as Tags using 1Password's tag hierarchy.

If you don't care about this, than Stable Bits is fine too.

Ask if you need any help.

• qwertzqwertz
    qwertzqwertz
    Community Member

Thank you, I will give it a try if I will have time for it (probably not until next tuesday :(

• Good luck!

• qwertzqwertz
    qwertzqwertz
    Community Member

It worked (more or less).
    Since there are some difficulties in converting costom-flields from KeePass to Custom-Fields in 1Password, all of them are stored in the "Note" field ... even if they were declared as "hidden" in KeePass. Not nice for sensitive data, so lots of post-import-work to do. But it worked better then before (username went to usernames, passwords went to passwords).
    So thanks for that help :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018

@qwertzqwertz ,

The converter can be customized to better suit your data. Would that help?

• qwertzqwertz
    qwertzqwertz
    Community Member

I think I'll stick with the post-conversion work ... I need to tag them anyways and by now I already sorted out like 50 outdated passwords or passwords for services which are no longer available by just looking through them :chuffed:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@qwertzqwertz ,

Ok, sounds good.

Enjoy 1Password!

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

That's great to see!

Thanks, @MrC, for your help as usual.

• phillycodehound
    phillycodehound
    Community Member

Is there a less technical way to migrate from KeePass 2x to 1Pwd? If not I'm going to have to ask for a refund.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@phillycodehound ,

You would have to export as CSV, and format it as described here:

https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/

• phillycodehound
    phillycodehound
    Community Member

how do you do that with the new KeePass?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
  • phillycodehound
    phillycodehound
    Community Member

Thank you!

• Kirrus
    Kirrus
    Community Member

That didn't work for me; the default CSV appeared to put passwords in the username field.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Kirrus ,

Be sure your CSV is in the format described by:

How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file.

• Kirrus
    Kirrus
    Community Member

I can't see how to customize the CSV output of keeppass export mode. Do I need to create a custom XSL stylesheet to generate a compatible SV, or is there another tool I can use to convert the CSVs? Failing that, I guess i need to use libreoffice sheets to mangle the csv. Not 100% sure it's worth it..

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2019

@Kirrus

Stepping back - you should use the keepass2 converter in the converter suite. In that case, you would export as KeePass XML (2.x). This is the most robust export format, and the converter will do more than CSV can. Use version 1.11 of the converter suite, in Testing Bits.

If you do not want to go that route, you'll have to edit your CSV export in a spreadsheet and arrange the columns as per the guide I linked.

Note: the converter run is really easy - just setting up the environment on Windows has a few more steps. This is how it will look when you run it:

$ perl convert_to_1p4.pl -v keepass2 ../_TestFiles/keepass2.xml
    Attachment created: /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P4_Attachments/Non-compressed attachment record (2)/backdrop.jpg
    Attachment created: /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P4_Attachments/Non-compressed attachment record (2)/poster.jpg
    Attachment created: /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P4_Attachments/Tanks! (2)/tanks.png
    Attachment created: /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P4_Attachments/Sample Entry #2 (2)/A Text File.txt
    Attachment created: /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P4_Attachments/Sample Entry #2 (2)/A UTF8 file.txt
    Attachment created: /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P4_Attachments/Sample Entry #2 (2)/cabinet cooling.pdf
    Imported 10 items
    Exported 8 login items
    Exported 2 note items
    Exported 10 total items
    You may now import the file /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P_import.1pif into 1Password

• Kirrus
    Kirrus
    Community Member

Huh, perl.. don't suppose it runs on Linux? I'm running Ubuntu and have a couple of debian VMs hanging around :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Kirrus,

It probably does, but since there are no target 1Password apps there, I haven't bothered to test! Where would you import the 1PIF?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Kirrus,

All I had to do, on Ubuntu, is install a package and it ran fine:

sudo apt-get install libxml-xpath-perl

• Kirrus
    Kirrus
    Community Member

I was hoping the web-client would be able to read the 1pif file, but it doesn't look like it. Might need to sneakernet the file over to my Windows machine :(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hence my question "Where would you import the 1PIF?". I figured you were using the web app.

This discussion has been closed.