Is there a way to generate a password in IOS?

rbpeirce
rbpeirce
Community Member

I have an IOS app where I wanted to change my password. I was able to get to the site using Safari on my Mac and then use Safari to generate a new password, but I couldn't figure out any way to do it directly from my iPhone. It seems relatively straightforward to use 1Password to fill in existing information but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rbpeirce

This guide should help:

Change your passwords and make them stronger | 1Password

Please let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

Thanks. That's sort of buried. It looks like I can generate a new password, copy it and paste it into the new password and confirm fields. I first had to generate a login which I didn't have. I guess a related question is how do I generate a 1Password login from an IOS login. There me be a FAQ for that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The idea is, in most cases, you're going to need/want to save that password anyway, otherwise you lose it. So you can feed two dogs with one scone if you start creating that Login item, generate the password there, and then save it. :)

I don't know what you mean by "generate 1Password login from iOS login" though. Can you elaborate? If it helps, this guide will show you how to use 1Password to save and fill in iOS apps that support it:

https://support.1password.com/ios-autofill/

Let me know either way. :)

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

In the case at hand I was doing a login from IOS on a specific site and I wanted to save it as a 1Password login, as you suggest. I was able to do that but not easily.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rbpeirce: Hmm. This is what I just did:

1. Opened Safari
    2. Went to discussions.agilebits.com
    3. Tapped "Register"
    4. Tapped the "password" field
    5. Tapped iOS "Passwords / key icon" at the bottom
    6. Tapped "1Password"
    7. Tapped "Create Login"
    8. Entered my email address
    9. Tapped "Generate New Password"
    10. Tapped "Save & Fill"
    11. Pasted password into "Confirm" field (1Password already filled "Password" field)
    12. Entered my email address and username, CAPTCHA, checkboxes, and submitted the Sign Up form

What's different about your scenario?

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member

I created the login on my Mac and then used it to log into the app. This wasn't a web site in the browser, but I was able to copy and paste from the 1Password login.

• Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback @rbpeirce. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.