Restore secondary vault from Time Machine backup

Options
schaeferb
schaeferb
Community Member

Hello,

I had to send my Macbook Air in to Apple for service. Prior to doing so I completed a full Time Machine backup to several devices. (Hopeful that this was enough, didn't even think to check for a backup option in 1password)

Now that I have the Macbook back, and setup clean (not a full Time Machine restore), I'm trying to locate and restore just the secondary 'Work' vault in 1Password. The Primary vault is working properly and stored in iCloud.

Following https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/73989/need-to-restore-archive-vault-from-time-machine I was looking for a Containers folder in /Volumes/Time Machine Backups 1/Backups.backupdb/Brandon’s MacBook Air/2018-12-18-073319/Macintosh HD/Users/Brandon/Library/Containers however this folder does not exist.

Can you walk me through trying to locate this secondary Vault for me?

Hopeful you can help,
Brandon

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud, Unknown
Referrer: forum-search:Restore secondary vault from Time Machine

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @schaeferb! There is indeed an automatic backup feature in 1Password, for just such occurrences. If you made a full backup of your hard drive, the location of the Backups folder will be in one of two places, depending on whether your copy of 1Password for Mac was from us directly or from the Mac App Store:

• Mac App Store version - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/
    • AgileBits version - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

If you were previously syncing via iCloud but you had more than one vault, only the first vault ("Primary") can be synced via iCloud. Do you recall what sync method you were using for your secondary vault(s), if any? If you weren't using any sync for the "Work" vault, then you'll need to restore from the most-recent existing backup of 1Password. If you were using Dropbox (for example), you should be able to just add the vault from there. Let me know, and I'll help point you in the right direction.

• schaeferb
    schaeferb
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I don't have those paths on either of my Time Machine backups (see screenshots).

Would they be anywhere else in the backup itself? Should I proceed with a full restore from Time Machine and see if that has the vaults? Or do you think it's just a lost vault at this point?

I don't recall setting the vault up years ago, my thought is it's not synced anywhere. I'd never set it up on my other devices as i never used it elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Brandon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@schaeferb - thanks for the legwork and the screenshots. I have to confess I'm surprised to not see a Containers folder at all in your Users/Library folder - that in itself is unusual. The files you're looking for will be in this format:

1Password 2018-01-16 12_27_12 (6 profiles, 488 items, 15 folders, 13 attachments).1p4_zip

Do a search within the Time Machine backup for anything that ends in .1p4_zip and see if you can find anything. Let me know what you discover. :)

• schaeferb
    schaeferb
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Unfortunately no success on finding it on the USB time machine, I'll check on the NAS when i get home, but not too hopeful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@schaeferb - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you; let us know how you get on!

This discussion has been closed.